Old April 17th 04, 05:36 AM

Default Help for R7 verticle

I boutght a used R7 about a year ago. Finally tried to get it up. It
matches on 10M but no where else. Any suggestions as to what might be
wrong?
Old April 17th 04, 05:46 AM
G.Beat

wrote in message
news
I boutght a used R7 about a year ago. Finally tried to get it up. It
matches on 10M but no where else. Any suggestions as to what might be
wrong?

OK

Here is a good place to start (EI7BA web site):
http://www.qsl.net/ei7ba/r7_vertical.htm

I assume that you have the R7 manual?
http://www.cushcraft.com/support/pdf/r7.pdf

Cushcraft R7 at Mount Everest base camp
http://www.cushcraft.com/amateur/index101.html

w9gb

Old April 17th 04, 10:08 AM
'Doc

Assuming that you've gotten the various lengths at least
'close' to what they should be, the problem will be in the
'black box'. It isn't very difficult to 'pop' one of the
capacitors, or even one of the torroid coils. Take a look
at the sites given in the other post...
'Doc
Old April 17th 04, 10:49 AM
Jean-Guy

had same problem here also. I found that the 15 meter trap was the problem.
take a continuity test from bottom of the 15 meter trap to the top and you
will find that is dead short. of course take the trap apart from antenna
first, as you will have to take all apart anyway, meaning the heat shrink
and all, once that is done you will find 2 screws holding the wire from the
trap to the aluminium pipe of the antenna. take a file or sandpaper and
clean around the screw connections as that's where corrosion will form. I
use Vaseline in putting it back together. check your work as you go along. I
found some shrink tubing at home depot, it takes 1 inch diameter and 4
inches long. when all the work was done, trap looks as good as new, and now
works.ps..a good set of guys made from heavy fishing line or whipper nipper
nylon line, which you can buy in large roll really does keep the thing
straight.if you want to see my installation, I can send pics.will never put
up a vertical without some sort of support. let me know how you make out.

de Jean-Guy/ve9buf
news

Old April 17th 04, 02:07 PM
Topaz305RK

Good advice. Only thing I have done different is when putting back together
instead of Vaseline I use PermaTex Anti-Seize. It is a good conductor, makes
things easy to get apart if you have to do it again and does not deteriorate
over time.

Just my two cents worth.

Old April 17th 04, 03:03 PM
Jean-Guy

yes I agree, but at the time did not have any on hand, so used the next best
thing, and readily available in any household, hi
thanks for reading
de Jean-Guy/ve9buf