Old April 17th 04, 11:09 PM
M3

Default 160M antenna for a very small garden?

Hi,

Any designs for a small antenna to work on 160M? My garden is approx 40ft x
17ft.

Post links here.

Thanks.

Old April 17th 04, 11:22 PM
AM200

OMG your garden is TINY. You will never be able to operate on top band
unless you get a vertical!
I wish mine was 40*17ft.

Old April 18th 04, 01:23 AM
Cecil Moore

M3 wrote:
Any designs for a small antenna to work on 160M? My garden is approx 40ft x
17ft.

A 1/2WL vertical should fit in a 40'x17' section. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old April 18th 04, 01:59 AM
Dave VanHorn

"AM200" wrote in message
OMG your garden is TINY. You will never be able to operate on top band
unless you get a vertical!
I wish mine was 40*17ft.

A loop?

Old April 18th 04, 02:33 AM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi M3

Can you eke out 6 to 8 more feet somehow?

Take a look at my linear loaded inverted Vee
http://archimedes.galilei.com/raiar

It has worked like gangbusters for me and for several others who have
tried it also.

TTUL
Gary

"M3" *** verbositized:

Old April 18th 04, 07:20 AM
J999w

How about a top loaded vertical with every bit of that garden loaded with
radials???

Many of those longwave NDB's run antennas that are fairly small and they get
out well.

jw
K9RZZ
Old April 18th 04, 07:45 AM
Reg Edwards

Any designs for a small antenna to work on 160M? My garden is approx 40ft

17ft.

=====================================

Hi, M3,

The following set-up will work okay. Been there, done that. Height is the
critical dimension. It will be about 2 S-units worse than ideal.

Inverted-L antenna. Vertical section = 40 feet. Put a pole on house
chimney to increase height. Horizontal section 40 feet. You can extend
length at far end by making it an Inverted-U.

A sytem of ground radials is essential. 8, 12, 16 shallow-buried radial
wires at least 25 or 30 feet long in ordinary, damp garden soil.
Important - connect the domestic plumbing pipes and incoming water main to
the ground radial system.

A tuner is essential. The average commercial tuner will NOT cope. You will
need a home brew tuner. Wind some tapped coils on toilet roll tubes using
20 or 22 gauge wire. Inductance values up to 100 uH. See program SOLNOID3.

Tuning capacitor = 500 pF maximum, 750 volts working, not particularly wide
spaced plates. A LARGE old-fashioned receiving-type capacitor would be OK.
Also obtain a few fixed-value, mica capacitors. Be prepared to experiment
with tuning capacitor and coil values.

If you like playing with a few numbers, download in a few seconds program
ENDFEED from website below and run immediately. This program computes
performance and also provides values of T-match and L-match components for
given antenna wire dimensions.

160 meters, 50 miles groundwave in daylight with 100 watts. Transatlantic
on CW, if you try hard, on long, very quiet, winter nights.

It will be also be usable at high efficiency on higher frequency bands. For
practical purposes, taking one band with another, it will be
omni-directional.

Get program ENDFEED from -
.................................................. ..........
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ
For Free Radio Design Software go to
http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp
.................................................. ..........

Old April 18th 04, 12:22 PM
K1SWR

How about the isotron antenna. take a look at:
www.rayfield.net/isotron

Old April 18th 04, 02:25 PM
Brian Kelly

am (Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.) wrote in message ...
Hi M3

Can you eke out 6 to 8 more feet somehow?

Take a look at my linear loaded inverted Vee
http://archimedes.galilei.com/raiar

It has worked like gangbusters for me and for several others who have
tried it also.

I took a look at it and it's not 100% clear to me from the sketch in
your website how your loaded vee is actually laid out, half of it
seems to be "missing". Is the "missing half" another complete leg
attached to the other side of the balun? In other words is the
end-to-end overall "wingspan" 80+ feet? If yes how could it fit in the
M3's 40 foot back yard? Or am I missing something very fundamental??

TTUL
Gary

Brian w3rv

Old April 18th 04, 03:45 PM
M3

K1SWR wrote:
How about the isotron antenna. take a look at:
www.rayfield.net/isotron

Sounds ideal, any one used/using one do they really work. I'm only looking
to work local not really bothered with DX as such.

Cheers all for your replies so far.