Old April 23rd 11, 04:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default OT? Wireless Xmtr/Rcvr For Sports Scoreboard

I might be asking my question in the wrong group, so feel free to send
me packing if I am.

The background:

Our high school just installed a scoreboard for our new Varsity Softball
field. The scoreboard controller talks to the scoreboard via a cable
that has a 1/4" TRS plug on each end.

http://www.planetronic.es/images/ak2563.jpg

One end plugs into the controller and the other end plugs into a jack
that is wired to the scoreboard in the outfield.

Unfortunately, they didn't ask anyone involved with the team which
dugout would be the home dugout, and they installed the jack that the
controller plugs into in the visitor's dugout.

We are currently using a 20' cord so that the operator doesn't have to
sit in the visitor's dugout...he sits outside the dugout, but is still
on the visitor's side of the field.

We'd like to move the operator to our dugout, but we can't get the
school to move the jack until after the season is over.

The question:

Could we use a wireless transmitter and receiver in place of the cord?
If so, we could put the receiver in the visitor's dugout and plug it
into the socket and the transmitter would plug into the controller. The
range would be under 100' and the dugouts are made of concrete.

The problem is, I don't know where to start looking for this type of
equipment, or even what I would need to know to spec it out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old April 24th 11, 05:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 23:21:29 -0400, DerbyDad03 rearranged some electrons
to say:

[...]

This group is about antennas used in the Amateur Radio service, aka ham
radio.

Why not just make a 100-foot cord for the controller?
Old April 24th 11, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 04/24/11 12:33 PM, david wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the response.

While the straight line distance is about 100', the physical distance
for a cord would be about twice that in order to go around the backstop.

Then there's a walkway to deal with, players with spikes, etc. While a
longer cord will certainly work, I'm just wondering about alternative
solutions.
Old April 25th 11, 09:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

You need to find out what kind of signals are carried over the cable?
Is it some sort of serial data (very likely)? If so, then you should be
able to find some sort of wireless data link that can handle the data
rates and formats.

What does the scoreboard manufacturer offer? (This has to be a
reasonably common problem..)
Old April 27th 11, 12:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

You might want to consider moving this across to
rec.radio.amateur.homebrew or similar, this is more to do with the
antennas rather than the devices producing the signals themselves (the
transceivers).

On Apr 26, 6:35*am, Jim Lux wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
I might be asking my question in the wrong group, so feel free to send
me packing if I am.

The background:

Our high school just installed a scoreboard for our new Varsity Softball
field. The scoreboard controller talks to the scoreboard via a cable
that has a 1/4" TRS plug on each end.

http://www.planetronic.es/images/ak2563.jpg

Looks like a standard 3.5mm headphone plug to me.

You need to find out what kind of signals are carried over the cable?
Is it some sort of serial data (very likely)? *If so, then you should be
able to find some sort of wireless data link that can handle the data
rates and formats.

In other words, my approach; make up a cable that allows you to access
all three conductors between the plugs, and use an oscilloscope to
identify the signals and signalling rates. Given the distance I
wouldn't mind betting it'll be something along the lines of RS485. I
doubt they'd try SPI or RS232 over that distance.

What does the scoreboard manufacturer offer? (This has to be a
reasonably common problem..)

+1... before you potentially void warranty. There's likely a 2.4GHz
or 433MHz solution out there that will work and will be suitable for
your local areas radio spectrum bandplans.

Old April 27th 11, 05:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Apr 22, 11:21*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Not knowing the nature of the signals on the cable makes this a
problem. Im betting it audio. Perhaps a wireless mike TX/RX
combination may solve your problem. If its digital there are RF MODEMS
available.

Jimmie
Old April 28th 11, 04:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

[...]

Cordless phone?

Feed the signal from the cable into a modem, then into the phone
handset. Base station demodulates the audio back to digital and feeds
the cable to the scoreboard.
Old April 28th 11, 05:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 4/22/2011 11:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

If the signals are analog and not digital, you might be able to buy a
pair of 2 gig audio/video sender units made for home TV signals. Just
use one or the other of the left and right audio input jacks. Or the
yellow video jack. You will need a mini pin to RCA adapter. The range on
those things is usually about a 100 feet or less.
It just might work.
JFK