Old June 18th 11, 02:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default NVIS and VHF? Solved!

'Captain' Kirk DeHaan said the following on 5/22/2011 11:04 AM:
I'm living in a wooded area and am trying to hit our club repeater
reliably. It's cloudy now so I'm and getting a bit of ducting but I have
a lot of trees, mostly poplars, in the direct path. I would have a line
of sight if not for the trees as I'm up enough in altitude. I can cut
the trees, they're mine, but finding the right ones is difficult and i
don't want to waste the whole grove.

I go from keying the repeater with no intelligible signal to not being
able to hit it. Today I actually have an S meter reading due to the
clouds. I am currently using a J-pole and will put up a Yagi soon but
wonder if NVIS would work on 2m? I have only seen references to it being
applied in HF.

'Captain' Kirk DeHaan
N6SXR

I purchased a 10 element 2m Yagi and installed it today. I can now hit
the repeater in question full quieting. The other benefit is I can hit
the one other repeater that I could not even hear before. I am quite
happy now. :-) Now I don't have to cut down any more trees, other than
those I am selling.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. Problem is solved!

--
'Captain' Kirk DeHaan
N6SXR

"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life here"
Old June 18th 11, 09:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 6/17/2011 8:03 PM, 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan wrote:
[...]

Glad to hear it, Kirk. Good work on your part.

73,
John - KD5YI
Old June 19th 11, 12:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 18 jun, 03:03, 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan
wrote:
[...]

Hello Kirk,

Thanks for the feedback on the outcome of your experiments, and to
hear that there is no problem anymore.

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl

NVIS Dipoles Directional? Rick[_3_] Antenna 24 May 13th 07 09:44 AM
NVIS antenna question Ed Antenna 3 May 17th 05 07:07 PM
40m full wave NVIS loop - mulitband use Bob Bob Antenna 6 March 15th 04 07:52 AM
Anyone using antennas for NVIS? VE3TMT Antenna 22 December 6th 03 11:27 PM