Old June 2nd 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Vertical on metal patio cover

I'm looking into mounting a vertical (20 meters and higher freq) on a new
patio cover. The cover is made out of 6 inch by 16 foot aluminum channels
that interlock edge to edge across a 20 foot width. Each section is powder
coated (aka...."painted"), so the sections are most likely not well
connected electrically to each other.

I'm considering a 10 foot long H shaped metal structure lying on the cover,
with the antenna mounted in the center of the H. Radials are a possible but
not desired approach. Any other suggested methods of mounting the
antenna/etc.?
--Wayne W5GIE

Old June 2nd 11, 08:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 6/2/2011 10:21 AM, Wayne wrote:
I'm looking into mounting a vertical (20 meters and higher freq) on a
new patio cover. The cover is made out of 6 inch by 16 foot aluminum
channels that interlock edge to edge across a 20 foot width. Each
section is powder coated (aka...."painted"), so the sections are most
likely not well connected electrically to each other.

I'll bet they're better connected than you think. Are there sheet metal
screws joining them? what's holding the strips to the frame? Can you put
a wire/foil tape under the screws. In any case, it would be easy to bond
the panels together with some short jumpers. I can think of a variety
of ways to do this, but one of the easiest might be a strip of copper
foil tape along the 20 foot length. Sand the powder coat away on a spot
on each "strip", run a stainless sheet metal screw through the copper
foil or braid and the aluminum. Then glop on something to seal it so it
doesn't corrode or leak. Butyl roof mastic might be a good thing.

A fancier way would be to get another aluminum strip and spot weld it.

I'm considering a 10 foot long H shaped metal structure lying on the
cover, with the antenna mounted in the center of the H. Radials are a
possible but not desired approach. Any other suggested methods of
mounting the antenna/etc.?

You need to seriously think about bonding the roof anyway, so that is
your best bet.

But, capacitively coupling from something lying on the surface would
also probably work fairly well. Wide aluminum flashing laid out from
your antenna base across the top of your corrugations (bend it to fit
the ridges) and glued down might work pretty well.

If you had, say, 1 foot wide by 10 feet long, and it's 1/8" max
distance, that's like a capacitor of about 500pF. Put a couple or three
of those strips and you're doing pretty well. For your frequencies,
it's like it's actually physically connected.

--Wayne W5GIE

Old June 3rd 11, 01:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jim Lux" wrote in message ...

[...]

Yes, there are various connections with sheet metal strips running across
all the channels, and a self tapping screw into each channel. There are
connections between everything, but a little uncertain as to the quality of
the connections.

[...]

-
Thanks for the comments. I'm still at the stage of wandering around and
planning.

--Wayne W5GIE

vertical antenna on metal roof Rollie Antenna 1 August 13th 09 06:48 PM
May 24: Patio Logs Mike[_2_] Shortwave 0 May 24th 08 05:54 AM
effect of metal pipe supporting a vertical cage antenna David George Johnson Antenna 5 August 1st 06 10:18 PM
Metal Roof and Vertical Antenna Rod Maupin Antenna 11 September 30th 05 01:07 PM
Poor vertical performance on metal sheet roof - comments? Kristinn Andersen Antenna 23 August 8th 03 11:08 PM