Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 4th 11, 03:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default The Lazy H does not seem to exhibit any gain over a dipole in thereal world

Final verdict on the center fed Lazy H antenna for 10 meters...

I really wanted to like this antenna. I really wanted it to work as
stated in the various handbooks. I have checked and re-checked the
measurements, and I have double checked the connectivity to make sure
the top and bottom elements were being fed in phase. The bottom left
element was connected to the top left element. The bottom right
element was connected to the top right element. I have done countless
A/B/C test with a dipole, an extended double zepp, and the Lazy H all
broadside to the same direction on 10 meters. This antenna was
specifically cut for 10 meters, and it was installed for horizontal
polarization as shown in the ARRL handbook at heights of 40 feet and
50 feet at the top wire. I double checked everything, but the final
verdict is not what I had hoped.

Here it is;

In the real world on 10 meters the Lazy H antenna with four half wave
elements on 10 meters (two collinear elements on top and two collinear
elements on the bottom), half wave spacing between the top and bottom
horizontal elements, center fed with 450 ladder line all the way back
to the antenna tuner, using a 450 ohm ladder line phasing line to
connect the top and bottom elements with no twist was consistently out
performed by a 10 meter extended double zepp facing the same direction
even when the Lazy H antenna was given a 10 foot height advantage over
the extended double zepp. On many occasions the Lazy H was also out
performed by the 10 meter dipole dipole. I have not tried the end fed
Lazy H design with the 1/4 wave matching stub and the 180 degree twist
in the phasing line.

On a positive note, the extended double zepp antenna with a 450 ohm
matching section down to a 1:1 balun and then 50 ohm coax is a solid
performer, and it consistently out performs a dipole and the Lazy H
broadside to the antenna.

Michael Rawls
KS4HY