Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 28th 04, 04:52 AM
Jeremy Salch

Default really long control cable on a screwdriver

I'm using a KJ7U,www.kj7u.com, screwdriver antenna and its "control cable",
for lack of a better term, is around 60 feet long. At this length it
seems to be causing tuneing problems.

It appears that the cable is trying to radiate and thus it causes the SWR
to rise above what it should be. The best way I can validate this is to
tune it the best I can then go unplug the cable from the antenna. When I
do this the SWR drops down to around 1.1 or so. Otherwise on some bands it
is as high as 3 - 4

I put some toriod? cores on the line which helped out the problem on 80m
to some extent. It did help bring the swr back down to a more acceptable
level, but it still isn't as low as it is when the cable is unplugged.

When I had this antenna mounted in a different location and the cable was
considerable shorter, none of this seemed to happen.

Anyone have any ideas or experiences with something like this ?

--
Registered Linux User #346565
http://www.tblx.net