Old June 10th 11, 02:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default EZNEC and near field datas.

Hi to all

In EZNEC, when we want to get the near field datas, there is an option
to enter the input power. So for a 2 kW PEP power, in order to obtain
the V/m or A/m at a certain distance, should we directly enter 2000 W
in the input power window, or should we transform it to the effective
power 'RMS' value of 2000/sqrt(2) = 1414,2 W, and then enter 1414,2 W
instead?

Thanks for your help

de Pierre VE2PID
Old June 11th 11, 01:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hi to all

In EZNEC, when we want to get the near field datas, there is an option
to enter the input power. So for a 2 kW PEP power, in order to obtain
the V/m or A/m at a certain distance, should we directly enter 2000 W
in the input power window, or should we transform it to the effective
power 'RMS' value of 2000/sqrt(2) = 1414,2 W, and then enter 1414,2 W
instead?

Thanks for your help

de Pierre VE2PID

I am not familiar with EZNEC, but I would say that you must enter 2000W, simply
because the RMS concept cannot be applied to power (only "average power" exists,
not "RMS power").

RMS can be used for voltage or current, but not power.

So, "2kW PEP" means that the "average power around the instant in which power is
maximum" is 2kW.

Probably EZ-NEC returns you the RMS V/m or RMS A/m values around the instant in
which V/m or A/m is maximum.

73

Tony I0JX
Rome, Italy

Near field vs Far field measurements at 2M Steve Reinhardt Antenna 13 August 7th 07 10:30 PM
Help with EZNEC amdx Antenna 64 July 3rd 07 01:42 PM
[help] eznec\4 pro zzl Antenna 4 July 10th 05 06:50 PM
EZNEC ARRL and EZNEC 4 Demo: Setting default folders Buck Antenna 2 June 16th 05 01:33 AM
eznec 4.0 zeman Antenna 5 May 11th 05 07:14 PM