Old June 24th 11, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 20m FD Dipole

I've participated in Field Day every year since 1993, when I was first
licensed. Because I had a big 2m beam, I worked that band
aggressively, sometimes making the most QSOs. Unfortunately we lost
our hilltop FD site in 2009 and the 2m production "down low" was
disappointing in '09 and '10.

This year some youngsters want to work 2m, so I'm moving to HF, 20m
being the most promising, I think. With the help of EZNEC (evaluation
version), I modeled a promising 20m dipole at 30'. It's almost exactly
75 ohms resistive at the freqs I want to use and I'm going to feed it
with RG-6, 0.7 dB/100 feet. My radio has an internal tuner to match
the 75-ohm cable, if I need it.

I'll report the results.

"Sal"
KD6VKW ("Vicious Killer Weasel")

Old June 25th 11, 11:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 24, 6:16*pm, "Sal M. Onella" wrote:
I've participated in Field Day every year since 1993, when I was first
licensed. *Because I had a big 2m beam, I worked that band
aggressively, sometimes making the most QSOs. Unfortunately we lost
our hilltop FD site in 2009 and the 2m production "down low" was
disappointing in '09 and '10.

This year some youngsters want to work 2m, so I'm moving to HF, 20m
being the most promising, I think. *With the help of EZNEC (evaluation
version), I modeled a promising 20m dipole at 30'. It's almost exactly
75 ohms resistive at the freqs I want to use and I'm going to feed it
with RG-6, 0.7 dB/100 feet. My radio has an internal tuner to match
the 75-ohm cable, if I need it.

I'll report the results.

"Sal"
KD6VKW ("Vicious Killer Weasel")

wow, it takes eznec to model a dipole for field day now? not that
many years ago i ran a competition at field day... given a hunk of
coax(with one connector installed), a roll of wire, and some random
pieces of rope, cut a 10m dipole, get it up in the air, and make a
contact. no eznec, a tape measure if you really wanted it, and who
knows what the coax was.
Old June 25th 11, 04:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 03:59:55 -0700 (PDT), dave wrote:

[...]

You take all the fun out of a guy's efforts.
Old June 26th 11, 12:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 25, 3:51*pm, Eskay wrote:
[...]

too many people spend all their time analyzing antennas and no time
using them.
Old June 26th 11, 05:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 24, 6:16 pm, "Sal M. wrote:
[...]

And some people spend all their time complaining about other people
analyzing antennas. Take your own advice.

Old June 26th 11, 07:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 6/26/2011 12:46 PM, Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 11:51:51 -0500, John
wrote:

On Jun 24, 6:16 pm, "Sal M. wrote:
[...]

And some of us just throw up a piece of wire and are happy with it.

And some of us strive for a higher education. To each his own.

I need a drink.

I'm sure.
Old June 27th 11, 04:30 AM
Junior Member

Cool

anybody who know this shopping website?it seems very nice right?
anybody know this website:http://www.gohotbuy.com/ ? i want buy some sneakers and jeans for myself and just found it,theirs price is very cheap,anybody have a suggestion?
thank you
Old June 27th 11, 04:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 6/26/2011 2:56 PM, John S wrote:
On 6/26/2011 12:46 PM, Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names wrote:

And some of us just throw up a piece of wire and are happy with it.

And some of us strive for a higher education. To each his own.

And we get that higher education in a netnews group? I enjoy this group,
but it's the equivalent to getting marriage advice at a bar. Maybe good,
but just as likely really bad.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old June 27th 11, 05:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 6/26/2011 10:34 PM, Mike Coslo wrote:
On 6/26/2011 2:56 PM, John S wrote:
On 6/26/2011 12:46 PM, Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names wrote:

And some of us just throw up a piece of wire and are happy with it.

And some of us strive for a higher education. To each his own.

And we get that higher education in a netnews group? I enjoy this group,
but it's the equivalent to getting marriage advice at a bar. Maybe good,
but just as likely really bad.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Maybe you are already educated beyond what is available here. If so,
good for you.

73,
John - KD5YI
Old June 27th 11, 05:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 25, 8:51*am, Eskay wrote:
[...]

Yeah, kinda, but that's all right. I already have four working
dipoles up at home, each produced much as Dave describes; 40, 20, 20,
10.

I was seeking optimization and I got it. Example: My TS-870
electronic display lights up five little dots for a 1.5:1 SWR. As
installed, the new antenna gave me only three little dots -- most of
it probably right at the back of the radio in the transition to 75
ohms. I am very, very pleased with the results.

20m was lit up like a Christmas tree all day and into the night.
While operating 100W, I logged a new QSO every two to five minutes.
(I'm nobody's idea of a contester.) Surprise -- broke a few pileups.

I oriented the antenna for max toward 060 degrees True, the bulk of
North America from San Diego. Putting up three guyed 30-foot poles
was quite the adventure but it all worked. No blood loss, one
blister. :-)

"Sal"

PS: TS-870 reported an untuned 3:1 SWR on 15m, which the tuner
handled easily. Many QSOs on 15m.

Better than the fan dipole Tim Shoppa Antenna 1 November 7th 07 07:20 PM
80+40 MTR Dipole Howard Kowall Antenna 11 August 2nd 07 02:21 PM
sgc dipole? ml Antenna 14 May 25th 06 07:42 PM
Help with dipole please? Hammer Homebrew 0 February 7th 04 05:45 PM
80/40/30M dipole? W4UDX Antenna 5 September 29th 03 03:56 AM