Old July 1st 11, 03:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Dipole question

Are there any advantages and/or disadvantages to having a dipole where
the legs are at a 90-degree angle instead of straight (i.e., one leg
oriented north-south; the other east/west)?

--
"The graveyards are full of indispensible men." -- Charles DeGaulle

Old July 2nd 11, 04:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jul 1, 7:26*am, (Padraigh ProAmerica) wrote:
Are there any advantages and/or disadvantages to having a dipole where
the legs are at a 90-degree angle instead of straight (i.e., one leg
oriented north-south; the other east/west)?

--
"The graveyards are full of indispensible men." -- Charles DeGaulle

I am a newbie in EZNEC (eznec.com) antenna modeling, but I tried it
with a known-functional arrangement, a 20m dipole at 30 feet.

When I rotated one leg as you described, the feed point impedance came
down from 75 ohms, the resonant freq went up slightly out-of-band and
the pattern was nearly circular.

I dropped the antenna to 25 feet and the resonant freq came down into
the band and the impedance hit 50 ohms almost on the nose.

For all practical purposes, your change is close to an omni. One
issue: It has a fairly high take-off angle at 48 degrees. Some
people do not worry about take-off angle, the elevation angle of
maximum radiation. This is because the differences are only a few
dB. It takes 6 dB to make a one s-unit change, so you're not totally
ruining your chances for a QSO if you're down a few.

"Sal"
stretching my limits
Old July 3rd 11, 01:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 7/1/2011 10:09 PM, Sal M. Onella wrote:

For all practical purposes, your change is close to an omni. One
issue: It has a fairly high take-off angle at 48 degrees. Some
people do not worry about take-off angle, the elevation angle of
maximum radiation. This is because the differences are only a few
dB. It takes 6 dB to make a one s-unit change, so you're not totally
ruining your chances for a QSO if you're down a few.

"Sal"
stretching my limits

Sal

I can't resist.

Ever been in a pileup?

tom
K0TAR

Old July 3rd 11, 03:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jul 2, 5:38*pm, tom wrote:
On 7/1/2011 10:09 PM, Sal M. Onella wrote:

For all practical purposes, your change is close to an omni. *One
issue: *It has a fairly high take-off angle at 48 degrees. *Some
people do not worry about take-off angle, the elevation angle of
maximum radiation. *This is because the differences are only a few
dB. *It takes 6 dB to make a one s-unit change, so you're not totally
ruining your chances for a QSO if you're down a few.

"Sal"
stretching my limits

Sal

I can't resist.

Ever been in a pileup?

tom
K0TAR

Why, yes. I usually get crushed. I have occasionally been lucky.

Do tell why you ask. Dare I guess it has something to do with an
ignorant comment or two I've (probably) made about antennas and/or
takeoff angle? ;-)

I did mean "down a few dB," by the way, not "down a few s-units."

http://www.eham.net/articles/23758 is interesting.

"Sal"
Old July 3rd 11, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 7/2/2011 9:24 PM, Sal M. Onella wrote:

Why, yes. I usually get crushed. I have occasionally been lucky.

Do tell why you ask. Dare I guess it has something to do with an
ignorant comment or two I've (probably) made about antennas and/or
takeoff angle? ;-)

I did mean "down a few dB," by the way, not "down a few s-units."

http://www.eham.net/articles/23758 is interesting.

"Sal"

I contest occasionally. Mostly on 6m and usually as part of a team
doing the ARRL QSO parties and the similar contests from other sources.

It's really fun because of my center of the continent position, one hop
from almost everywhere.

This year's field day was a ball. I did over 200 Qs on 6m in 8 hours
with 80 watts and 8dBd at 25 feet. 55% of the contacts at a 4A contest
site at the time 6m finally collapsed (around 10PM local).

We had to tear down at 6:30 AM due to thunderstorms.

tom
K0TAR

Old July 3rd 11, 04:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 7/2/2011 9:24 PM, Sal M. Onella wrote:
K0TAR

Why, yes. I usually get crushed. I have occasionally been lucky.

Do tell why you ask. Dare I guess it has something to do with an
ignorant comment or two I've (probably) made about antennas and/or
takeoff angle? ;-)

I did mean "down a few dB," by the way, not "down a few s-units."

http://www.eham.net/articles/23758 is interesting.

"Sal"

Still, couldn't help but ask.

tom
K0TAR
Old July 3rd 11, 04:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jul 2, 8:07*pm, tom wrote:
On 7/2/2011 9:24 PM, Sal M. Onella wrote:

K0TAR

Why, yes. *I usually get crushed. * I have occasionally been lucky.

Do tell why you ask. *Dare I guess it has something to do with an
ignorant comment or two I've (probably) made about antennas and/or
takeoff angle? *;-)

I did mean "down a few dB," by the way, not "down a few s-units."

http://www.eham.net/articles/23758is interesting.

"Sal"

Still, couldn't help but ask. *

tom
K0TAR

No harm, no foul.

"Sal"
(KD6VKW)
Old July 3rd 11, 07:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

The reason I'm asking is that 'm considering putting up a 10 dipole in a
portable location.

My first week with my HTX-100 mny years ago was a blast, and I've
enjoyed operating ever since. Most frustration: Hearing a French
Polyneasia at 10 over S9 and being unable to get through due tyo a
couple of hundred Califonians (onw skip zone closed) with beam antennas
and kilowatt amplifies. 25W into a dipole just couldn't cut the mustard.

--
"The graveyards are full of indispensible men." -- Charles DeGaulle