Old August 3rd 03, 10:25 PM
Jacques

Default am indoor loop antenna

What is the best am indoor loop antenna to buy ?
is it vaialble in europena stores ?
Old August 3rd 03, 10:43 PM
Max

Hello

What is the best am indoor loop antenna to buy ?

Why buy, they just cost a lot. Build your own, one like
this works very well and the cost is very small.

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...op/1mloop.html

If you want it smaller, I have designed one I can send you a picture
and a drawing of.

Regards Max

Old August 4th 03, 12:34 AM
Chris Trask

"Jacques" wrote in message
om...
What is the best am indoor loop antenna to buy ?
is it available in european stores ?

You may want to look at my recent article in QEX magazine. The first
part, in the Jul/Aug 2003 issue, describes the design of the loop antenna
proper. The second part, to be published next month (Sep/Oct 2003),
describes the amplifier, remote tuning, and controller.

Chris

,----------------------. High Performance Mixers and
/ What's all this \ Amplifiers for RF Communications
/ extinct stuff, anyhow? /
\ _______,--------------' Chris Trask / N7ZWY
_ |/ Principal Engineer
oo\ Sonoran Radio Research
(__)\ _ P.O. Box 25240
\ \ .' `. Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
\ \ / \
\ '" \ IEEE Member #40274515
. ( ) \
'-| )__| :. \ Email:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~christrask
c__; c__; '-..'.__

Graphics by Loek Frederiks

Old August 4th 03, 04:22 AM
Mark Keith

"Max" wrote in message . dk...
Hello

What is the best am indoor loop antenna to buy ?

Why buy, they just cost a lot. Build your own, one like
this works very well and the cost is very small.

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...op/1mloop.html

If you want it smaller, I have designed one I can send you a picture
and a drawing of.

Regards Max

Yep, Those are a snap to build. The only part he really needs is an
old variable cap out of an old radio. The common 365pf variable used
in old BC radios will work fine. 500 pf even better. Then it's just a
matter of winding a loop on something. It can be anything from a large
box, to a 2 ft or so piece of 2-3 inch dia PVC tubing. "broomstick
style" I prefer normal larger loops though. You can use the single
main loop as is, or you can feed it with a 2nd coupling loop, which is
mounted behind the main loop. This will usually improve the balance a
bit. I built one on a round 16 inch dia plastic blower housing from
an old humidifier. It is mounted on a short mast that fits in a heavy
mast holder I have sitting on the floor. If I want to turn it, I just
reach over and give it a spin. The main loop is 12 turns, and I use a
2 turn coupling loop. With the cap I have, I can tune from 500 kc to
2000 kc. I design the number of turns around the cap to be used. It's
the value that can't be changed. You can tack fixed cap's in parallel
with the variable though, if you want to drop lower in freq.
You can also build the main loop only, and use the ferrite antenna in
the radio as the coupling loop. But then you have to keep the radio
mounted behind the loop, which is a PIA. But that is one way you can
try the loop without even making a direct connection. It does have to
be tuned though with the cap when you do this. You'll hear it peak up,
if it's resonant. I've found a loop very worthwhile on AM-BC. You can
null the crud, and dig the signals you want out of the mess. A random
wire usually gives you 4 stations at once. MK
Old August 4th 03, 09:12 PM
Jacques

I Can not buil it myself since i know nothing about electronics.
I havre no choice but to buy such an antenna in Us or Europe
What is the best product available in the Market ?
I've heard about Terk or Palomar .

Old August 4th 03, 10:06 PM
Max

Hello Jacques

I Can not buil it myself since i know nothing about electronics.

Actual you do not know anything about electronics to build a loop
antenna, just make a wooden frame and wind some copper wire
on it, solder a variable capacitor to the wire and you are well of.

I havre no choice but to buy such an antenna in Us or Europe
What is the best product available in the Market ?
I've heard about Terk or Palomar .

If you will buy some thing, then take a close look here

http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/products.html#LA5030

I think the LA5030 is a good choise, but you will have to pay.

Regards Max