Old August 6th 11, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default HF Antenna Options: Need Advice

I'm a neophyte here, but I've done quite a bit of reading on antenna
characteristics and design. Still, I'd appreciate some advice from the
more knowledgeable (that's pretty much anybody here).

1. I have pretty limited options for a serviceable antenna for, say,
40 to 10 meters. Right now, I am interested in CW only using QRP rigs
(homebrew) for DX QSO's.

2. I want to limit the visual impact, so unless you advise strongly in
favor of them I want to avoid verticals. I don't have code or covenant
restrictions, but I do have a wife.

3. Here's the physical situation: My suburban property has two houses
on it but no real trees I could use as anchor points. However, from
peak of the big house to that of the guest house I can get about 96
feet. The big-house peak is about 25 feet high and the guest house
about 13. For visual purposes, I'd like to use as thin a wire as
possible.

4. Here's my idea: an end-fed wire with traps for multi-band use. I
don't see how I could use a center-fed dipole unless the feeder came
back parallel (right next to) along one leg of the dipole. In other
words, I can't feed at perpendicularly. For a variety of reasons, the
azimuth of a wire line between the two houses would be about 25
degrees/205 degrees.

So . . . what do you think? What kind of performance do you think I
could expect from this setup?

Many thanks! ---Todd