RadioBanter

-   -   5/8 wave ground plane (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1734-5-8-wave-ground-plane.html)

Larry D May 12th 04 12:17 PM

5/8 wave ground plane

I want to construct a 5/8 wave ground plane for 24 MHz.
I am OK with the dimensions, but I can't get a grip on what
the impedance at the feedpoint will be. Even the ARRL
antenna book hasn't been much help.

Can anyone tell me the impedance I can expect to see,
also any tips on matching it? Thanks!

Larry DiGioia N8KU
N8KU at longwire.com

Reg Edwards May 12th 04 02:07 PM

For a 5/8-wave vertical above ground at 24 MHz, conductor diameter 10 mm. -

Base feedpoint resistance = 110 ohms
Base feedpoint reactance = -j386 ohms
Base loading coil inductance = 2.6 uH
Coil diameter = 25 mm
Coil length = 33 mm
Number of spaced turns = 13
Wire = 14 awg = 1.64 mm diameter.

For other heights, frequencies and coil dimensions download in a few seconds
program BOTLOAD for immediate answers.
----
.................................................. ..........
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ
For Free Radio Design Software go to
http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp
.................................................. ..........

JLB May 12th 04 03:53 PM

Kraus (2nd edition, p. 375) gives a different answer.

Interpolating from the diagram on p. 375 (assuming length/diameter = 472) it
is about 90-j250.

Why the difference?

--
Jim
N8EE

to email directly, send to my call sign at arrl dot net
"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
For a 5/8-wave vertical above ground at 24 MHz, conductor diameter 10

mm. -

Base feedpoint resistance = 110 ohms
Base feedpoint reactance = -j386 ohms
Base loading coil inductance = 2.6 uH
Coil diameter = 25 mm
Coil length = 33 mm
Number of spaced turns = 13
Wire = 14 awg = 1.64 mm diameter.

For other heights, frequencies and coil dimensions download in a few

seconds
program BOTLOAD for immediate answers.
----
.................................................. .........

Cecil Moore May 12th 04 04:04 PM

Larry D wrote:
Can anyone tell me the impedance I can expect to see,
also any tips on matching it? Thanks!

The VERT1 vertical that comes with EZNEC is 1/4WL on 40m.
It will be 5/8WL on 17m. (7.2 * 2.5 = 18) EZNEC sez the
feedpoint impedance on 17m will be about 100-j470 ohms.

A loading coil is usually installed between the base of
the antenna and the radial system. The coax braid is
tied to the radial system and the coax center wire is
tapped down on the coil at the 50 ohm point.

Gnd-------+-////////---------------5/8WL----------------
Rad| ^

XMTR-----------+

If you don't mind a relatively low SWR of 2:1-3:1, use good
coax, a standard base-loading coil, and your tuner at the
transmitter.

There is plenty of 5/8WL information for 2m antennas
in the ARRL publications and antennas are scalable.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Dave Shrader May 12th 04 04:37 PM

Z is close to +58-j138 ohms.

A small inductor of 0.88 uH in series with the antenna should provide a
pretty good match to 50 ohm coax.

N8KU at longwire.com

Reg Edwards May 12th 04 05:44 PM

Kraus (2nd edition, p. 375) gives a different answer.

Interpolating from the diagram on p. 375 (assuming length/diameter = 472)

it
is about 90-j250.

Why the difference?

==============================

The program takes into account antenna diameter. Does Kraus? And is he on
the same band? Is he at the same height above ground? What sort of ground
or radial system does he have? Have you interpolated correctly? Have you
understood what Kraus is saying? Is the loading coil in the same location?
Is the feedpoint at the same place. Are you comparing like with like?
Spend more time thinking about it.

Is Kraus infallible? Could be he's wrong again.

Who's Kraus anyway? ;o)
----
Reg

Reg Edwards May 12th 04 05:52 PM

There is plenty of 5/8WL information for 2m antennas
in the ARRL publications and antennas are scalable.
--
73, Cecil

===========================

The trouble with scaling (as from 2m down to 160m) is that antenna conductor
diameters are forgotten about which can cause appreciable errors.
---
Reg, G4FGQ

Cecil Moore May 12th 04 07:30 PM

Reg Edwards wrote:
The trouble with scaling (as from 2m down to 160m) is that antenna conductor
diameters are forgotten about which can cause appreciable errors.

I dunno, Reg. My 20m rotatable dipole diameter is about ten times
bigger than my 2m 1/4WL ground plane. Seems about right to me.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Harrison May 12th 04 08:03 PM

Larry, N8KU wrote:
"I want to construct a 5/8 wave ground plane for 24 MHz.----Even the
ARRL antenna book hasn`t been much help."

At 1/2-wave, reactance nearly is zero and begins repeating as from
zero.. With a 5/8-wave, you have a 1/8-wave connected to the feedpoint
through a reactance repeating 1/2-wave line. A 5/8-wave antenna will
have nearly the same reactance as a 1/8-wave. Value of the reactance
depends on the characteristic impedance of the antenna and this depends
on length to diameter ratio.

Resistance of a vertical antenna increases with its length until it
reaches nearly 1/2-wavelength where it peaks and starts to fall.
Sharpness of this resonant peak depends on length to diameter ratio of
the antenna. You might expect a radiation resistance of between 50 and
150 ohms. Reactance may be between 200 and 1200 ohms. It depends on how
skinny the antenna is. Fat conductors have smaller impedance variations
(a lower Q).

My impedance numbers come from Capt. Paul H. Lee, USNR, K6TS`s "Vertical
Antenna Handbook".

5/8-wave vertical ground-planes were once popular on 27 MHz and often
used an autotransformer at the base to step up the impedance from the 50
ohms of the coax.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

JLB May 12th 04 08:36 PM

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
The program takes into account antenna diameter. Does Kraus?

Yes. My post said length/diameter = 472 (One thing I don't like about the
way Kraus wrote his book is that he gives the formula for only one part of
the feed impedance (R or X) and a diagram for the complex impedance. He
then refers you to someones paper somewhere for the 'complete' formula.. I
have it around here but it would take 2 days to find it.)

And is he on the same band?

In the diagram I was interpolating from the dimensions are in wavelengths.

Is he at the same height above ground? What sort of ground or radial

system does he have?

It is an infinite perfect ground plane---ground mounted. (We are talking
about a 5/8 wave vertical remember).

Have you interpolated correctly?

Probably not.

Have you understood what Kraus is saying?

Yes.

Is the loading coil in the same location?

No 'loading coil' in the Kraus example. He is discussing the feed point
impedance. A loading coil would be either across or in series with the feed
point.

Is the feedpoint at the same place.

Since the original post concerned a 5/8 wave vertical, I assumed it is at
the bottom, which is what Kraus is discussing.

Are you comparing like with like?

Hence my question. Are we? I recall that a 5/8 wave vertical was 'close' to
50 ohms at the feed point and could be 'adjusted' with an inductance across
the feed point (with the feedline at a tap perhaps?). That is the whole
point is using such a 'magic number' as 5/8 wavelength. If you look at the
impedance curves, though, you find that they are quite steep at this point,
so a small error in length causes a large error in impedance, and some
tuning will be needed. The 5/8 wave is not a 'build it and go' antenna!

Spend more time thinking about it.

I have, which is why I looked it up.

Is Kraus infallible? Could be he's wrong again.

=8o Oh no!!! Kraus wrong!?

Who's Kraus anyway? ;o)

Oh, I don't know. Just some guy that signed my Master's Thesis 16 years
ago.

----
Reg

Tom Bruhns May 12th 04 09:59 PM

Partly because you used a conductor diameter about 16.5mm and Reg's
was 10mm. (Don't think I'd want to make a self-supporting element
that long and that thin, myself. Maybe 50mm at the base and tapering
to 25 or so?) That probably does not account for the whole
difference. Did you both use the same sort of "ground plane"? Height
above earth has only a slight effect.

Cheers,
Tom

JGBOYLES May 12th 04 10:05 PM

The VERT1 vertical that comes with EZNEC is 1/4WL on 40m.
It will be 5/8WL on 17m. (7.2 * 2.5 = 18) EZNEC sez the
feedpoint impedance on 17m will be about 100-j470 ohms.

Hi Cecil, He was asking about 24MHZ which is 12 meters. EZNEC sez a 5/8 on
24MHZ is 63-j206, more or less. As others have pointed out a lot of factors
will enter into the final installed impedance.
Another matching method, for 63-j206, is feed the antenna with a 1.2 meter
length of 300 ohm twinlead- 1:1 balun- 50 ohm coax. The twinlead transformer
gives 43-j0. Don't tell Reg, but I did that on the Smith Chart in 48.32
seconds:-).
73 Gary N4AST

Mark Keith May 13th 04 05:04 AM

JLB wrote:
Hence my question. Are we? I recall that a 5/8 wave vertical was
'close' to
50 ohms at the feed point and could be 'adjusted' with an inductance
across
the feed point (with the feedline at a tap perhaps?).

Tuned to an electrical 3/4 wave...Basically, just tuning out the
reactance..

That is the whole
point is using such a 'magic number' as 5/8 wavelength.

Huh? The point of the 5/8 radiator is pattern and gain related, not feed
impedance, or matching.

If you look at the
impedance curves, though, you find that they are quite steep at this
point,
so a small error in length causes a large error in impedance, and some
tuning will be needed. The 5/8 wave is not a 'build it and go' antenna!

It's pretty close to it though. All you have to do is start off with a
"best guess" coil and test. If it's resonant low in freq, take turns
off. One at a time, if close. If it's high in freq, you need more
turns. Not really any more complicated than trimming a dipole for
resonance. After building a lot of those, I can guess the number of
turns needed in my head and come pretty close. Reg's guess of 13 turns
is pretty close if the form is 1-1.5 inch wide. Using my built in
guessing machine, I would have quoted appx 15-16-17 turns off the top of
my head , if the coil is made of #12 solid wire, and wound on a 7/8 inch
pipe former, "I use a piece of 7/8 inch copper tube as the former" and
then taken off the form. "On those type of coils, I make them self
supporting. The #12 wire is stiff enough to hold it's shape. Just
connect and clamp each end of the coil to hold it in place. MK

--
http://web.wt.net/~nm5k

Cecil Moore May 13th 04 06:02 AM

JGBOYLES wrote:
Hi Cecil, He was asking about 24MHZ which is 12 meters. EZNEC sez a 5/8 on
24MHZ is 63-j206, more or less.

I had forgotten I had changed VERT1 from tubing to #14 wire.
That was the problem with the higher impedance. With 3 inch
dia. vertical tubing the impedance on 18 MHz is 62-j190.
--
Sorry & 73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Tom Bruhns May 13th 04 06:34 PM

Several posters have recommended a simple series coil for matching.
But of course, you'll never get lower than the resistive component of
the feedpoint impedance that way. At least one suggested a tapped
coil, and that can give you a good match and has the advantage of
DC-grounding the lightening ro...I mean radiating element.

Another alternative is a shunt coil to ground and a series capacitor
off to the feedline; that gives you the grounding and also lowers the
low-frequency coupling to the feedline. If Reg's suggested 110-j386
is correct for your case, you can get a match to 50 ohms at 24MHz with
a 1.1 microhenry shunt coil and 25pF series capacitor. The Q should
be around 5, not much higher than the antenna itself but can lead to
fairly high voltage across the cap. Don't leave it exposed to rain
:-) (That's an advantage of the tapped coil: less suseptable to
weather problems.)

But beware...the range of impedances I've seen posted suggests your
installation may be somewhat different.

Cheers,
Tom

N8KU at longwire.com

Ken Fowler May 13th 04 10:10 PM

On 12-May-2004, "JLB" wrote:

Hence my question. Are we? I recall that a 5/8 wave vertical was 'close' to
50 ohms at the feed point and could be 'adjusted' with an inductance across
the feed point (with the feedline at a tap perhaps?). That is the whole
point is using such a 'magic number' as 5/8 wavelength.

The resistive part of the Z of a 5/8 wave will closer to 50 ohms than it will be for a 1/2 wave, but
in most cases will be higher than 50. You may be thinking of a vertical close to 3/8 wave which
will be 50 -jx. The -jx (capacitance) can be resonated with a +jx in series for a 50 ohm feedpoint.

Ken Fowler

JGBOYLES May 13th 04 11:47 PM

You may be thinking of a vertical close to 3/8 wave which
will be 50 -jx. The -jx (capacitance) can be resonated with a +jx in series
for a 50 ohm feedpoint.

Ken, we may be talking about two different things, but a 3/8 wave vertical
has inductive reactance, and the R component is no where near 50 ohms. A 2/8,
or 1/4 wave vertical has no reactance, shorter has -jx, and longer, as in 3/8
wave has +jx.
A .26 lambda vertical has about 50+j43 impedance, and the +j43 can be
cancelled with series 154pf at 24 MHZ. This is a common method of matching a
1/4 wave vertical to 50 ohms. Make it a little longer to look inductive,
50+jx, and cancel with a series cap.
According to all the theory I know on this stuff a 3/8 wave vertical will not
be as you describe.

73 Gary N4AST

Mark Keith May 14th 04 05:05 PM

(JGBOYLES) wrote in message
A .26 lambda vertical has about 50+j43 impedance, and the +j43 can be
cancelled with series 154pf at 24 MHZ. This is a common method of matching a
1/4 wave vertical to 50 ohms. Make it a little longer to look inductive,
50+jx, and cancel with a series cap.
According to all the theory I know on this stuff a 3/8 wave vertical will not
be as you describe.

It shouldn't be too far off. The usual method of tuning a 3/8 vertical
is also by using a series cap to tune out the reactance. Quite common
on 160m, etc where people run the "extended" inv L's that are 185-190
or so ft long. I've used them here, and with a series cap, the SWR was
quite low. The 3/8 impedance is higher than a 1/4 wave, but not enough
to really hurt things, or to make a l/c matching device needed. MK

Mark Keith May 14th 04 05:45 PM

Cecil Moore wrote in message ...
Larry D wrote:
Can anyone tell me the impedance I can expect to see,
also any tips on matching it? Thanks!

The VERT1 vertical that comes with EZNEC is 1/4WL on 40m.
It will be 5/8WL on 17m. (7.2 * 2.5 = 18) EZNEC sez the
feedpoint impedance on 17m will be about 100-j470 ohms.

This is what I ran when I had my 40m GP up. It worked both 17m and
40m.
My old elnec model of that antenna showed appx 48.4-j213 ohms on 17m.
But I had sloping radials. Maybe that made a difference. I used an
ungrounded series coil to tune for 17m, and the SWR was very low. I
had a 24v DPDT relay that I used to bypass the coil for 40m use.
Otherwise, it would be resonant about 6.9 mhz. I had the transformer
here in the shack, and when I changed bands, I would just plug, or
unplug the transformer from my power strip. MK

Ken Fowler May 14th 04 06:30 PM

On 13-May-2004, (JGBOYLES) wrote:

You may be thinking of a vertical close to 3/8 wave which
will be 50 -jx. The -jx (capacitance) can be resonated with a +jx in series
for a 50 ohm feedpoint.

Ken, we may be talking about two different things, but a 3/8 wave vertical
has inductive reactance, and the R component is no where near 50 ohms. A 2/8,
or 1/4 wave vertical has no reactance, shorter has -jx, and longer, as in 3/8
wave has +jx.
A .26 lambda vertical has about 50+j43 impedance, and the +j43 can be
cancelled with series 154pf at 24 MHZ. This is a common method of matching a
1/4 wave vertical to 50 ohms. Make it a little longer to look inductive,
50+jx, and cancel with a series cap.
According to all the theory I know on this stuff a 3/8 wave vertical will not
be as you describe.

Sorry. I mispoke on that. The 3/8 wave will indeed be inductive. However its resistance will be
closer to 50 ohms than it would be for a 1/4 wave. A 1/4 wave would have a resistance of 37 ohms.
I'm not sure about your 50 + j43 for a 0.26 wave. Is that from EZNEC? With what kind of ground?

I didn't take the time to model the 3/8 wave. Sorry.

Ken

Richard Clark May 14th 04 08:14 PM

On 14 May 2004 09:45:16 -0700, (Mark Keith) wrote:

My old elnec model of that antenna showed appx 48.4-j213 ohms on 17m.
But I had sloping radials. Maybe that made a difference.

Hi Mark,

Yes, the significant difference. I have always endeavored to build
5/8'ths with an offset dipole fashion either with sloping radials, or
elevated feedpoint on a metal mast that terminated in a ground field
(radials). As this is also the basic structure of the sleeve dipole
(grounded at the bottom), using coax with a ground tap to the shield
about quarterwave (a guesstimate) from the feed made it easy to
achieve.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

JGBOYLES May 14th 04 11:36 PM

I'm not sure about your 50 + j43 for a 0.26 wave. Is that from EZNEC? With
what kind of ground?

Yes it was EZNEC, ground type real/Mininec.
73 Gary N4AST

N8KU at longwire.com

Larry, its been a while since I built one but I usually wind an 1/8 to
3/16wl of wire on my matching coil and feed this in series with as one would
a base loaded antenna then start triming the coil for lowest SWR. I have one
I built like that now on 10M SWR is about 1.5:1 . Cant say for sure but
think the feed point impedance is above 50 or about 75 ohms at resonance.
Have built these using the same technique for 6 and 2 . Seems like the
impedance on these can vary quite a bit depending on the materials you build
the antenna from. Thicker materials seems to give a lower impedance and a
better match to 50 ohms. Ive never really gone into what was going on with
the antenna that much and may be all wrong but right or wrong my way of
doing it seems to get the job done for me. Perhaps some of the gurus around
here would like to provide some more insight.

Larry D May 17th 04 01:35 PM

Larry D wrote:

I want to construct a 5/8 wave ground plane for 24 MHz.

Wow, after all that, a simple answer. Thanks!

The reason I wanted to try 5/8 wave is because I have had
the Solarcon A99 1/2-wave ground plane for 10 meters up
for about 5 years, and it is an excellent antenna for DX. This
is, according to the product blurb, a "1/2 wave, voltage-fed"
design.

The radiation patterns in the antenna book give the
impression that 5/8 wave should be "even better" for DX.

Of course, a lot of that performance had to do with who is
on 10 meters in the first place, and conditions over the past
5 years as well.

It is finally falling apart (radials coming loose,) and the
prospects for 10m in the next few years don't look so good.
I wanted to switch to a similar antenna, but for 24 MHz.

I notice that some of the answers here were geared toward a
ground-mount, which is not what I meant by "ground plane,"
this antenna will be at 30', and probably will have full-size,
1/4 wave (?) sloping radials.

As it turns out, at the antenna forum in Dayton, Dean Straw,
the author of the ARRL antenna book, talked me out of using
5/8 wave. He feels that it will not appreciably enhance DX,
compared to 1/4 wave.

He also talked me into getting the latest version of the
antenna book, which alas, still does not mention doing what
you suggest, not even in the VHF section, as one person
mentioned, but at least I have the answer now. Thanks again.

Larry DiGioia N8KU

Richard Harrison May 17th 04 04:42 PM

Larry D. wrote:
"The reason I wanted to try 5/8 wave is because I have had the Solarcon
A 99 1/2 wave ground plane for 10 meters up for about 5 years and it is
an excellent antenna for DX."

OK. A comparison of unattenuated field strengths at one mile from
various verticals is given on page 20 of the "Vertical Antenna Handbook"
by Capt. Paul H. Lee, USNR, K6TS:

1/4-wave, 196 mv/m

1/2-wave, 236 mv/m

5/8-wave, 276 mv/m

Power varies as the square of the voltage. One can see the difference in
the field strength is hardly worth the effort for an amateur to try to
increase the length of his antenna. It`s about a 3 dB gain from 1/4-wave
to 5/8 wave.

A 5/8-wave at 10 meters is 1/2-wave at 12.5-meters (24 MHz).

A 1/2-wave at 10-meters is 0.4 wavelength at 12.5-meters (24 MHz). One
could resonate it with a series capacitance at the antenna.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Dan Richardson May 17th 04 06:30 PM

On Mon, 17 May 2004 10:42:49 -0500, (Richard
Harrison) wrote:
[snip]
Power varies as the square of the voltage. One can see the difference in
the field strength is hardly worth the effort for an amateur to try to
increase the length of his antenna. It`s about a 3 dB gain from 1/4-wave
to 5/8 wave.

[snip]

The 3 dB gain figure is valid when mounted on theoretical perfect
ground. For a ground-plane elevated above real ground you'll find the
gain to be rarely greater than 1 dB.

Modeling 1/4 & 5/8-wave ground planes at 30 feet above ground (@ 24
MHz) as was described earlier NEC reports the following maximum gain:

1/4-wave 2.35 dB

5/8-wave 3.06 dB

73
Danny, K6MHE

Mark Keith May 18th 04 11:30 AM

Dan Richardson wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 17 May 2004 10:42:49 -0500, (Richard
Harrison) wrote:
[snip]
Power varies as the square of the voltage. One can see the difference in
the field strength is hardly worth the effort for an amateur to try to
increase the length of his antenna. It`s about a 3 dB gain from 1/4-wave
to 5/8 wave.

[snip]

The 3 dB gain figure is valid when mounted on theoretical perfect
ground. For a ground-plane elevated above real ground you'll find the
gain to be rarely greater than 1 dB.

Dunno. My real world tests don't quite agree. In using 30 mile ground
wave tests across town, I tested 1/4 GP's, 1/2 waves including
decoupling sections, and a 5/8 GP with 3/4 wave radials. All at 36 ft.
The 5/8 ate the 1/4 GP for lunch. Probably 2 plus S units better than
the 1/4 GP. The 5/8 beat the 1/2 wave by 1.5 S units. And this was
tested and repeated over a period of months. Never varied. Ground wave
testing is quite stable, and accurate for those low angles involved.
Much more accurate than trying to compare using constantly varying
skywaves. In real world gains, thats more than 1 db. 5/8 antennas are
weird animals. On 2m, they suck. On HF, they can do fairly well, cuz
the angles involved are not as critical. I used a 5/8 GP on 17m for
2-3 years. "also at 36 ft at the base".
It mangled every other antenna I had on that band. On 10m, the 5/8
beat any other length radiator quite handily. Again, on the critical
2m band, peeeyooooo.....they stink. BTW, on skywave, using a quick A/B
test, all preferred the 5/8, over the other antennas. So it wasn't a
low angle ground wave fluke. MK

Brian Kelly May 18th 04 02:19 PM

Dan Richardson wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 17 May 2004 10:42:49 -0500, (Richard
Harrison) wrote:
[snip]
Power varies as the square of the voltage. One can see the difference in
the field strength is hardly worth the effort for an amateur to try to
increase the length of his antenna. It`s about a 3 dB gain from 1/4-wave
to 5/8 wave.

[snip]

The 3 dB gain figure is valid when mounted on theoretical perfect
ground. For a ground-plane elevated above real ground you'll find the
gain to be rarely greater than 1 dB.

Modeling 1/4 & 5/8-wave ground planes at 30 feet above ground (@ 24
MHz) as was described earlier NEC reports the following maximum gain:

1/4-wave 2.35 dB

5/8-wave 3.06 dB

Then howcum my 5/8 wave mag mount 2m mobile antenna very significantly
outperforms the 1/4 wave mag mount antenna I used to use? Same ground
condx, same power, same feeder length, same vehicle, etc. I suspect
it's in the differences in the TO angles.

73
Danny, K6MHE

Brian w3rv

Dan Richardson May 18th 04 03:17 PM

On 18 May 2004 06:19:50 -0700, (Brian Kelly) wrote:

Then howcum my 5/8 wave mag mount 2m mobile antenna very significantly
outperforms the 1/4 wave mag mount antenna I used to use? Same ground
condx, same power, same feeder length, same vehicle, etc. I suspect
it's in the differences in the TO angles.

My previous response was for a ground plan antenna mounted above
ground and you are addressing a mobile installation. They are
different.

I've done modeling of 1/4,1/2 and 5/8-wave whips using several wire
grid models for vehicles (small and mid-sized car, small pickup truck
and a SUV). I found that the vehicle's size, shape and whip location
plays a major part in performance.

I also noted, on the average, the 5/8 produce a slight gain over all,
but it was possible to find azimuth directions that a 5/8-wave would
produced almost 3 db gain over itself - depending what vehicle it was
mounted on.

The most outstanding feature I saw was a 5/8-wave whip azimuth pattern
was less influenced by the vehicle geometry.

The operation is more like a lop-sided dipole with the vehicle body
being on leg.

I don't feel you can accurately predict how a the whips will perform
on a vehicle based upon operation on another vehicle - unless both
vehicles and the antenna locations are the same.

I should add for all models the whips where placed top-dead-center of
the vehicle's roof.

73,
Danny, K6MHE

Caveat Lector May 18th 04 05:45 PM

Well -- I have found that modelling gets you in the ball park (an
approximation)
A good SWR meter will allow you to tweak it up.

For 1/4 wave vs 5/8 wave 2M antennas -- I have found empirically -- that
when in an area surriunded by big mountain tops -- like Silicon Valley in
the CA Bay area -- the 1/4 wave works better due to its higher angle of
radiation of the 1/4 wave

When on the open road where terrain is flat and the mountains are far
away -- the 5/8 wave works best -- lower angle of radiation.

This is just my empirical observation --- your radiation angle may vary --
hi hi.

--
Caveat Lector Ya All

"Amateur Radio is the best back-up
communications system in the world,
and that's the way it is." -- Walter Cronkite

Richard Clark May 18th 04 06:36 PM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:29:46 -0400, "Vito" wrote:
I agree completely. Question is, if modeling and prediction is so unreliable
why do we bother?

Hi OM,

There is modeling, and then there are modelers. 99.9% of errors are
found with the second. A simple example that explains the illusion of
disparity may be tested with the free version of EZNEC (as is
generally the case).

Model a ground plane antenna at ground level (or simply an inch or cm
above it); and then raise the same antenna a quarter wave (not so
difficult to manage at these breathless reports from VHF-land).

Difference approaches 6dB for this trivial exercise alone. Models
answer the differences quite well, modelers can be found in
commercials wearing lab coats saying "I'm not a doctor, but...."

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Dan Richardson May 18th 04 08:27 PM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:29:46 -0400, "Vito" wrote:

Question is, if modeling and prediction is so unreliable
why do we bother?

Why do you feel modeling is "so unreliable"?

Danny, K6MHE

Brian Kelly May 18th 04 08:45 PM

Dan Richardson wrote in message . ..
On 18 May 2004 06:19:50 -0700, (Brian Kelly) wrote:

Then howcum my 5/8 wave mag mount 2m mobile antenna very significantly
outperforms the 1/4 wave mag mount antenna I used to use? Same ground
condx, same power, same feeder length, same vehicle, etc. I suspect
it's in the differences in the TO angles.

My previous response was for a ground plane antenna mounted above
ground and you are addressing a mobile installation. They are
different.

Agreed.

I've done modeling of 1/4,1/2 and 5/8-wave whips using several wire
grid models for vehicles (small and mid-sized car, small pickup truck
and a SUV). I found that the vehicle's size, shape and whip location
plays a major part in performance.

No surprise there although my instincts tell me that once some number
of "critical" square feet of vehicle sheet metal is "achieved" the
size of the vehicle has a less pronounced effect particulary at VHF
and UHF freqs. But modeling has the annoying ability to deflate
instincts.

I also noted, on the average, the 5/8 produce a slight gain over all,
but it was possible to find azimuth directions that a 5/8-wave would
produced almost 3 db gain over itself - depending what vehicle it was
mounted on.

That would easily explain my offhand experiences. In fact I did it
again last weekend. An buddy of mine is temporarily laid up in a
skilled care facility so I got his home 2M FM station running in his
room. I installed his 1/4 wave magmount whip on one of those typical
steel-shrouded HVAC units often found under the windows of patient
rooms. He couldn't hit the repeater. I went back later and installed
my 5/8 wave whip and yup, now he can hit the repeater.

The most outstanding feature I saw was a 5/8-wave whip azimuth pattern
was less influenced by the vehicle geometry.

The operation is more like a lop-sided dipole with the vehicle body
being on leg.

I don't feel you can accurately predict how a the whips will perform
on a vehicle based upon operation on another vehicle - unless both
vehicles and the antenna locations are the same.

I should add for all models the whips where placed top-dead-center of
the vehicle's roof.

100% agreed and it all fits. Tnx.

73,
Danny, K6MHE

Brian w3rv

Reg Edwards May 18th 04 09:05 PM

Why do you feel modeling is "so unreliable"?

=========================

Because 99.99 percent of models are never properly tested in practice and in
an anateur's back yard, if they WERE tested, the radiation patterns would
only bear a vague resemblance to predictions.

Predictions are mostly wishful thinking. Nevertheless, they can be a
satisfying intellectual activity.
----
Reg.

Dan Richardson May 18th 04 11:19 PM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:05:37 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

Why do you feel modeling is "so unreliable"?

=========================

Because 99.99 percent of models are never properly tested in practice and in
an anateur's back yard, if they WERE tested, the radiation patterns would
only bear a vague resemblance to predictions.

Predictions are mostly wishful thinking. Nevertheless, they can be a
satisfying intellectual activity.
----
Reg.

I see........ Then I assume then that your diagnosis of computer
modeling applies to your antenna computer programs as well?

Danny

Reg Edwards May 19th 04 12:50 AM

"Dan Richardson wrote
Why do you feel modeling is "so unreliable"?

=========================

Because 99.99 percent of models are never properly tested in practice and

in
an anateur's back yard, if they WERE tested, the radiation patterns would
only bear a vague resemblance to predictions.

Predictions are mostly wishful thinking. Nevertheless, they can be a
satisfying intellectual activity.
----
Reg.

I see........ Then I assume then that your diagnosis of computer
modeling applies to your antenna computer programs as well?

Danny

====================================

Danny, there's nothing wrong with antenna pattern-prediction progams. There
are good nunber-crunched side effects. It's only their practical application
by people in their own back yards which is unreliable. It cannot be helped.
It's a fact of life. The environment and performance of an antenna cannot
be accurately predicted unless it is at a height of several wavelengths
above and away from obstructions.

Not a single one of my programs predicts a radiation pattern. Only an
exceedingly few professional antenna design engineers would ever make real
use of such facilities even if I could write them. I don't like wasting
time. I havn't all that amount of time anyway. Nobody has produced a new
type of antenna for many decades. (Not even Fractal). It's all been done
before.

But, as I say, radiation prediction programs are entertaining, educational
and satisfying. Enjoy them while you can.

Nevertheless, unreliable is a fair practical description.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Dan Richardson May 19th 04 02:36 AM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 23:50:17 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

But, as I say, radiation prediction programs are entertaining, educational
and satisfying. Enjoy them while you can.

If you will review my posting of the results i reported you will see
that I was comparing 1/4, 1/2 and 5/8-wave whips under the same
conditions for each antenna. I was not and did not report the reported
gain figures, rather, I posted the difference or lack there of for the
comparisons. Under those conditions I feel comfortable stating that
difference between using a 1/4, 1/2 or 5/8-wave whips on a vehicle
(mounted top-dead-center on the roof) the overall gain differences
would be one dB or less.

I have observed, operating mobile using the above antennas that I
really couldn't notice any real difference. Bad areas remained bad
areas and I would loose the repeater in about the same location
regardless which antenna I used.

In other words I was comparing apples to apples and not looking for an
absolute gain value, rather, the difference and I am very comfortable
with the findings - both via computer modeling and actual use.

very 73
Danny, K6MHE

Tom Ring May 19th 04 03:12 AM

You are only sort of correct.

At HF where the local world is as large as your antenna, that statement
is true, at 6m it starts to become less of an issue as the outside world
becomes big and somewhat ignorable. At 2m it is quite ignorable, and at
70cm it pretty much isn't there. Yagis I have designed for 432 perform
exactly as predicted by the software, with the exception of the ones too
long for the antenna range, where the only discrepency was the gain
tests a bit lower than the model predicts. And then it was .3 dB on an
18.4 dBd prediction.

It is possible to predict antenna gain and pattern very accurately if
you do it at a frequency that does not interact with the local
environment to a any large degree. It is also possible to build those
antennas and have them perform the same time and time again. I've built
dozens of long boom yagis for 2, 222, and 432, and after the first one,
you don't even have to measure the SWR before setting the T match shorts
unless you are anal or an EME're. Oops, same thing, I guess. ;) And
every antenna I've ever range tested (thank you Central States VHF) has
been within .1 dB of predicted except one.

The designs I have built over the last 15 years didn't need to be
adjusted at all from the model plus predicted boom corrections. The
only variable was the matching system on the driven element, which none
of the modeling programs handles very well.

And for you picky folks, yes, the losses from foliage, etc. aren't
ignorable, but the antenna system still performs as predicted unless you
mount it in the center of a tree.

And I do realize I'm preaching to the non-choir here, since this group
is (apparently) not very interested in anything above 10m. :)

tom
K0TAR

Tom Ring May 19th 04 03:20 AM

Oh, I forgot the important bit - I did it in my back yard.

tom
K0TAR