Old August 4th 03, 11:00 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Default GR 1710-P2 ?

I just got a General Radio 1710-P2 Transmission/Reflection Bridge with 4
ports. On the front, RF IN, REFLECTION OUT, REFERENCE OUT (-12dB), and on
the left side, UNKNOWN B. I can't find any docs on google so can anyone
please tell me the frequency range, impedance and how the 4th port is used,
or perhaps where to find more info.
tnx
hank wd5jfr

Old August 7th 03, 03:57 AM
Henry Kolesnik

Walt
It's an honor to get a response from one of my favorite antenna writers. I
hope I don't have to wait that long too! In one of the old format QSTs you
wrote that your design for the antennas in one of the spacecraft had a 17 to
1 swr if I recall correctly. I was trying to find that article to show it
to one of my friends who spends too m uch time on swr. Do you happen to
recall the issue? And I can't find mention of it in either issue of
Reflections. BTW I took the 1710 case apart and there's a 50 ohm
temination in there and the GR 874 connectors are probably 50 ohm but I
don't know how high a frequency they are generally good for, perhaps
approaching a GHz, I'm hoping the low end is good for HF. Inside, the
unit is beautifully made, they don't make them like that anymore.
tnx
hank wd5jfr
"Walter Maxwell" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
I just got a General Radio 1710-P2 Transmission/Reflection Bridge with 4
ports. On the front, RF IN, REFLECTION OUT, REFERENCE OUT (-12dB), and

on
the left side, UNKNOWN B. I can't find any docs on google so can

anyone
please tell me the frequency range, impedance and how the 4th port is

used,
or perhaps where to find more info.
tnx
hank wd5jfr

Hi Henry,

This will probably be of no help due to the timing. I have a whole range

of
GR catalogs with specs for all the equipments. The problem is that I live

in
Michigan from May to Nov, so I'm in Michigan now, but my RF lab and

catalogs
are in Florida, where I live the remainder of the time. If you are unable

get the info before I go back to Florida I'll get the data to you after I
return. Hope you won't have to wait that long to get the data you need.

Good luck,

Walt, W2DU

Old August 10th 03, 02:42 AM
Scott Townley

The instrument you have goes with a GR1710 vector network analyzer
system, rated 400kHz-500MHz.
It is likely 50 ohms as the 75 ohm versions were clearly marked "75
ohms" all over the place.
RF IN is from the VNA sweeper,
REFLECT OUT is the reflected signal from the device under test,
REFERENCE OUT is the reference signal from the VNA
UNKNOWN is the DUT port.
Just a directional bridge arrangement, but set up for coherent
(vector, phase-referenced) measurements.