Old November 8th 11, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Measuring transmission line characteristics

On 11/8/2011 4:15 PM, Owen Duffy wrote:
John wrote in :

The manual for the Fluke generator says it is 50 ohms output Z. I used

Ok, be aware that sometimes that impedance is gauranteed to less than
full output.

If it is 50+j0, then your Vf reading should not change in magnitude with
load variation. If it does change, you have to factor it into the calcs
as in the AN.

I just looked back at some of my data and I see that the Vf changes
slightly with some loads. However, this variation is used in my Excel
spreadsheet to calculate the results. All is according to the HP app note.

John
Old November 9th 11, 01:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dear John S: My comment of a few days ago was written under the assumption
that you wished to know the characteristics of the TL. It has developed
that you wish to measure the impedance of an antenna at the end of a piece
of coax.

The procedures for removing the effects of a fixture, which I expect to be
in the AN and require a short, an open, and a known load, may also be
applied to a piece of coax. The result is the ability to remove the
presence of the coax and be left with the antenna's impedance.

I do this in an automated way with the "calibration" feature of the AM4170.
One scans a span of frequencies three times storing information about what
the coax looks like with a short, an open, and (usually) 50 ohms at the far
end. This takes some time depending on the size of the frequency span and
the step size. The stored numbers (stored in a very inexpensive, tiny
computer) are then used automatically to calculate (over the same span) the
actual Z at the end of the coax.

Doing this procedure by hand, which I have done using the numbers measured
by a GR bridge, is labor intensive. Before the advent in 1972 of the HP35,
it was real pain. One did not use very many frequencies! It appears that
you are interested in only one frequency.

Comments about choking common mode are right on target. Owen Duffy is one
of the good guys.

73, Mac N8TT

P.S. Do you have a call sign?

J. C. Mc Laughlin
Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

Old November 9th 11, 03:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 11/9/2011 7:17 AM, J. C. Mc Laughlin wrote:
Dear John S: My comment of a few days ago was written under the
assumption that you wished to know the characteristics of the TL. It has
developed that you wish to measure the impedance of an antenna at the
end of a piece of coax.

Yes, I know. Sorry for the misleading subject line. I should have
presented my query differently.

[...]

Yes, he is. I've had some private correspondence with him and found him
to be very knowledgeable and helpful. I check his Web site often.

73, Mac N8TT

P.S. Do you have a call sign?

J. C. Mc Laughlin
Michigan U.S.A.