Old May 26th 04, 09:34 PM
Jim Kelley

Tam/WB2TT wrote:

"Jim Kelley" wrote in message
Cecil Moore wrote:

Tam/WB2TT wrote:
You can get the same answer from knowing that the impedance looking
into a 1/4 wave section of shorted transmission line is infinite.

Ever measure the forward and reflected currents halfway into a
shorted 1/4WL stub? How can currents be flowing unimpeded into
and out of an infinite impedance?

The question is a little misleading because the direction of the flow of
current changes every half cycle and is transverse, or orthogonal to the
direction of wave propagation. In a transmission line, the current
flows through Z0, ostensibly, which is essentially the impedance from
one conductor to the other at every point along the transmission line.
Other than that, superposed forward and reflected waves behave just as
you described, naturally.

73, Jim AC6XG

There is no current in the steady state. The steady state voltage is
independent of source impedance, which affect only how long it takes to
reach that. I ran a simulation on this, and you can see that as the voltage
builds up, the current decreases

Tam

Hi Tam,

The simulation would be fun to play with. What do you use?

73 de jk
Old May 26th 04, 10:18 PM
Reg Edwards

On page 73, the characteristic resistance of free-space is defined as
the sq rt of the permeability of space devided by the dielectric

======================

Why must engineere resort to quoting from their worshipped Guru's who are
hardly more likely to be correct than they are themslves.

In all probability the recipient of the advice does't have a copy of the
sacred text. If he did he wouldn't be asking the question anyway. And it
must be extremely rare for anybody to spend weeks attempting to find a copy.
He knows he will have lost interest long before he finds one.

Do engineers these days, in their daily work, depend entirely on the 'gospel
truths' to be found in text books on their extensive book shelves without
much understanding of what its all about? It's a recipe for time-wasting
errors!

Or are they content to obtain money under false pretences?

Sorry about the diversion. I'm in that sort of mood tonight. I'm on Pinot
Noir 2001, red - a product of Romania, bottled before Romania became a EU
member. But it's no worse than the Italian, Spanish, French, or even the
Californian plonk!

Never sampled a 6-shooter, John Wayne, Texan vintage.
----
Reg.

Old May 26th 04, 10:38 PM
Cecil Moore

Reg Edwards wrote:
Cec and Co., I keep telling you it's a waste of bandwidth talking about
'conjugate matches'. In the transmitter/transmission line context conjugate
matches do not exist because nobody knows what the internal impedance of the
transmitter actually is.

If nobody knows what the internal impedance of a transmitter
actually is, how do you know it's not conjugate matched? :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 26th 04, 10:46 PM
Cecil Moore

Jim Kelley wrote:
So if I "possess" an American Express card, do I "possess" money? No.

"money - 4. any article ... used as a means of payment."

So the answer is yes, credit cards are a form of money. Sorry.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 26th 04, 10:51 PM
Cecil Moore

Jim Kelley wrote:
Excellent, now try and understand what is intended by _ALL_ of the words
in the sentence.

I know, you have told me before, ad infinitum. All of the words intend
exactly what Jim Kelly wants them to intend and absolutely nothing else.
You are the only person in the entire universe capable of ascertaining
the intent of words. So tell me something I don't already know.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 26th 04, 10:52 PM
Cecil Moore

Richard Harrison wrote:
Negative resistance is a gain instead of a loss.

Therefore, doesn't an amplifier have negative resistance?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 26th 04, 10:55 PM
Cecil Moore

Tam/WB2TT wrote:
There is no current in the steady state.

There is no *net* current in the steady state at the input of a
shorted 1/4WL stub. What do you think the current at the short
is? How did that large amount of current get there without flowing?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 26th 04, 10:56 PM
Reg Edwards

If nobody knows what the internal impedance of a transmitter
actually is, how do you know it's not conjugate matched? :-)

--------------------------------

Because nobody knows. And it wouldn't make slightest difference to anything
if anyone did.

And nobody knows why I keep answering your questions either. ;o)
---
Yours, Reggie.

Old May 26th 04, 11:07 PM
Jim Kelley

Cecil Moore wrote:

Jim Kelley wrote:
So if I "possess" an American Express card, do I "possess" money? No.

"money - 4. any article ... used as a means of payment."

So the answer is yes, credit cards are a form of money. Sorry.

A distinction is commonly drawn between plastic and cash, Cecil. I
expected you wouldn't be too stubborn to acknowledge that. My mistake.

73, Jim AC6XG
Old May 26th 04, 11:15 PM
H. Adam Stevens

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
On page 73, the characteristic resistance of free-space is defined as

snip-
Sorry about the diversion. I'm in that sort of mood tonight. I'm on Pinot
Noir 2001, red - a product of Romania, bottled before Romania became a EU
member. But it's no worse than the Italian, Spanish, French, or even the
Californian plonk!

Never sampled a 6-shooter, John Wayne, Texan vintage.
----
Reg.

Reg
I shot a big rattlesnake just the other day with a 6-shooter. He was in the
ham shack. Threatened my life.
I used a Smith and Wesson model 19 in blued steel with a 4" barrel. It was
loaded with rat shot.
You're always welcome at my QTH and I'll give you a choice of 6-shooters,
from a .32 S&W to a .44 magnum.
Spirits are consumed only AFTER shooting, however.
Tonight I'm looking forward to a Chateau St Michele merlot with my rare
filet.
73
H.
NQ5H