Old May 24th 04, 09:45 PM
Richard Fry

Default Theory vs Reality

To me, the threads about reflected power on this NG over the last few days
are rather revealing. Some posters quote Terman, Lord Kelvin and others
with inapplicable/incomplete statements or formulae attempting to prove (or
intimidate) NG readers into accepting that poster's particular point of
view -- even when it has been shown by field experience NOT to fit the
observed, and measured reality.

Perhaps we should be more willing to further research and modify our
favourite, personal hypotheses when valid field experiences show them to be
inaccurate.

RF

Visit http://rfry.org for FM broadcast RF system papers.

Old May 24th 04, 09:57 PM
Cecil Moore

Richard Fry wrote:
Perhaps we should be more willing to further research and modify our
favourite, personal hypotheses when valid field experiences show them to be
inaccurate.

Actually what has happened, Richard, is that a bunch of engineers and
scientists, including gurus on this newsgroup, believe that their
math models dictate reality, rather than vice versa. We can thank Einstein,
himself, for the following quote:

"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured
against reality, is primitive and childlike ..." Albert Einstein

Too bad that some people on this newsgroup have adopted their steady-
state math models as their unquestioned religion, unrelated to reality.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 24th 04, 10:05 PM
Dave

the last few days??? these same discussions have been going on for years
with the same predictable outcome. i was unfortunately sucked back into the
recent ones becaues of a failure in my posting filters... that unfortunate
problem has been rectified.

Old May 24th 04, 10:14 PM
Cecil Moore

Dave wrote:
the last few days??? these same discussions have been going on for years
with the same predictable outcome. i was unfortunately sucked back into the
recent ones becaues of a failure in my posting filters... that unfortunate
problem has been rectified.

Translation: My "posting filters" allow me to deny reality. :-)

Old May 25th 04, 02:48 PM
'Doc

Cecil,
Instead of, "Translation: My "posting filters" allow me to
deny reality. :-)", how about, "My posting filters allow me to
deny ~opinion~"? That would seem to better 'fit' your prior
post...
'Doc

Old May 25th 04, 04:09 PM
Cecil Moore

'Doc wrote:
Instead of, "Translation: My "posting filters" allow me to
deny reality. :-)", how about, "My posting filters allow me to
deny ~opinion~"? That would seem to better 'fit' your prior
post...

Quoting something J. C. Slater, a physics prof at MIT, wrote
when I was two years old is not merely my opinion.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 24th 04, 10:44 PM
Henry Kolesnik

There are no stupid questions about reflected power only stupid me asking
and I'm still stupid on the question I assume you're referring to..

--
73
Hank WD5JFR

Old May 25th 04, 06:59 PM
WB2JKX

Henry Kolesnik wrote in message
. ..
There are no stupid questions about reflected power only stupid me asking
and I'm still stupid on the question I assume you're referring to..

--

Just to clarify, was your question-what happens when there isn't a tuneable
output circuit that provides a match to what ever impedance actually exists

Old May 24th 04, 10:57 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"Richard Fry" wrote in message
To me, the threads about reflected power on this NG over the last few days
are rather revealing. Some posters quote Terman, Lord Kelvin and others
with inapplicable/incomplete statements or formulae attempting to prove

(or
intimidate) NG readers into accepting that poster's particular point of
view -- even when it has been shown by field experience NOT to fit the
observed, and measured reality.

Perhaps we should be more willing to further research and modify our
favourite, personal hypotheses when valid field experiences show them to

be
inaccurate.

RF

Visit http://rfry.org for FM broadcast RF system papers.

Actually I am encouraged. There is a lot less divergence than during the Dr.
Slick postings. I have learned things, either from actual postings, or from
having to look things up in the literature.

Tam/WB2TT