Old May 25th 04, 05:16 PM
cva

Default Where can I get a lump of Sodium?

..
Old May 25th 04, 06:33 PM
AB2RC

On 2004-05-25, cva wrote:
.

absolutely nothing....

but asked the following question in the subject header
"Where can I get a lump of Sodium?"

I don't even want to know why you would want a lump of soduim, but look here

http://www.labdepotinc.com/chemical_...pid~S1100.aspx

--
Alex / AB2RC
Yaesu FT100 software for Linux http://www.qsl.net/kc2ivl
Old May 26th 04, 01:24 AM
Jim

Cant immagine what he wants it for either-- Just add to water, and becomes a
nice fire (and also reacts if you hold it in your hand-- Perspiration)! Jim

Old May 26th 04, 03:38 AM
Roger Grady

"Jim" wrote:

Cant immagine what he wants it for either-- Just add to water, and becomes a
nice fire (and also reacts if you hold it in your hand-- Perspiration)! Jim

My recollection from my high school chemistry days is that sodium
doesn't catch fire in water, just bounces around and fizzes
vigorously. Potassium metal, OTOH, does catch fire as it fizzes and
bouces around even more vigorously.

I had such fun in the chemistry lab.

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address
Old May 26th 04, 03:58 AM

Roger Grady wrote:
"Jim" wrote:

Cant immagine what he wants it for either-- Just add to water, and becomes a
nice fire (and also reacts if you hold it in your hand-- Perspiration)! Jim

My recollection from my high school chemistry days is that sodium
doesn't catch fire in water, just bounces around and fizzes
vigorously. Potassium metal, OTOH, does catch fire as it fizzes and
bouces around even more vigorously.

I had such fun in the chemistry lab.

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address

Its the liberated hydrogen from the water that burns; explodes if you
get the right concentration.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.

Old May 26th 04, 03:20 PM
Steve Nosko

On 2004-05-25, cva wrote:
.

but asked the following question in the subject header
"Where can I get a lump of Sodium?"

I don't even want to know why you would want a lump of soduim, but look

here

If you are afraid to imagine what it will be used for, why are you
helping find it??

--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

Old May 30th 04, 10:30 PM
John Bachtel

A lump of sodium might make one eligible for a Darwin Award
jrb de nr4jb

On 2004-05-25, cva wrote:

.

absolutely nothing....

but asked the following question in the subject header
"Where can I get a lump of Sodium?"

I don't even want to know why you would want a lump of soduim, but look here

http://www.labdepotinc.com/chemical_...pid~S1100.aspx

--
.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
.. Note: Address modified to avoid so-called "spam". To reply via .

Old June 1st 04, 06:49 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:30:17 GMT, John Bachtel
wrote:

A lump of sodium might make one eligible for a Darwin Award
jrb de nr4jb

Oh, for heaven's sake. Sodium is easily handled if you are familiar
with the stuff. Keep it under Kerosene.

Don't get it near water and do not get it against bare skin.

OTOH I've taken *small* pieces/slivers of it and dropped it on water
as a demonstration. They skate around as if they were on ice, but
popping like tiny firecrackers.

Larger chunks into water would not be smart. It generates heat,
Hydrogen, and Oxygen. The Sodium is hot enough at the water interface
(at least to start before it gets hot) to ignite the Hydrogen/Oxygen
mix making the popping sounds with the little slivers.

In high school chem lab we used to get to play with Sodium and
Phosphorus. Now days they wouldn't even do the demos and as kids we
were able to do them ourselves.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old June 1st 04, 07:53 AM
Ian White, G3SEK

Roger Halstead wrote:

A lump of sodium might make one eligible for a Darwin Award

Oh, for heaven's sake.

Well, Cecil's classmate must have been a prime candidate, with his
original idea about flushing a large lump down the toilet. Can't you see
him, arriving at the Pearly Gates, still clutching the flush lever in
his hand...

Sodium is easily handled if you are familiar with the stuff.

[...]
Don't get it near water

On the north coast of Scotland there used to be a nuclear power reactor
that was cooled by molten sodium. On the other side of the main heat
exchanger was high-pressure water, separated by the thinnest possible
sheets of metal. The guys who operated the heat exchangers used to
complain about that highly corrosive liquid... but they were talking
about the water.

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
Old June 2nd 04, 01:06 AM
Roger Halstead

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 07:53:11 +0100, "Ian White, G3SEK"
wrote:

Roger Halstead wrote:

A lump of sodium might make one eligible for a Darwin Award

Oh, for heaven's sake.

Well, Cecil's classmate must have been a prime candidate, with his
original idea about flushing a large lump down the toilet. Can't you see
him, arriving at the Pearly Gates, still clutching the flush lever in
his hand...

I had thought of that, but thought I'd leave it be LOL Most likely
some one the next floor down would get the bath. More than one cherry
bomb and M-80 has gone "down the tubes" in years gone by.
..

Sodium is easily handled if you are familiar with the stuff.

[...]
Don't get it near water

On the north coast of Scotland there used to be a nuclear power reactor
that was cooled by molten sodium. On the other side of the main heat
exchanger was high-pressure water, separated by the thinnest possible
sheets of metal. The guys who operated the heat exchangers used to
complain about that highly corrosive liquid... but they were talking
about the water.

De-ionized water wants ions and it'll take them from any available
metal. It's particularly corrosive with brass. We had a series of
induction heating units that used high power RF. The tubes and coils
were cooled with de ionized water. A brass hose barb would crumble in
your hand after only a years exposure to the di water.