Old May 25th 04, 05:16 PM
cva

Default Where can I get a lump of Sodium?

..
Old May 25th 04, 06:33 PM
AB2RC

On 2004-05-25, cva wrote:
.

absolutely nothing....

but asked the following question in the subject header
"Where can I get a lump of Sodium?"

I don't even want to know why you would want a lump of soduim, but look here

http://www.labdepotinc.com/chemical_...pid~S1100.aspx

--
Alex / AB2RC
Yaesu FT100 software for Linux http://www.qsl.net/kc2ivl
Old May 26th 04, 01:24 AM
Jim

Cant immagine what he wants it for either-- Just add to water, and becomes a
nice fire (and also reacts if you hold it in your hand-- Perspiration)! Jim

Old May 26th 04, 01:40 AM
The Masked Marvel

You could also try Aldrich chemical http://www.sigmaaldrich.com search by
Molecular Formula for "Na" and you'll find an assortment of offerings of the
metal. Download an MSDS for it first! It can be nasty to deal with. A bucket
of Class D (Metal Fires) extinguishing agent or a Class D fire extinguisher
can come in handy too, check Ansul http://www.ansul.com for MET-L-X or NA-X
extinguising agent!

"cva" wrote in message ...
.

Old May 26th 04, 03:38 AM
Roger Grady

"Jim" wrote:

Cant immagine what he wants it for either-- Just add to water, and becomes a
nice fire (and also reacts if you hold it in your hand-- Perspiration)! Jim

My recollection from my high school chemistry days is that sodium
doesn't catch fire in water, just bounces around and fizzes
vigorously. Potassium metal, OTOH, does catch fire as it fizzes and
bouces around even more vigorously.

I had such fun in the chemistry lab.

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address

Old May 26th 04, 03:58 AM

Roger Grady wrote:
"Jim" wrote:

Cant immagine what he wants it for either-- Just add to water, and becomes a
nice fire (and also reacts if you hold it in your hand-- Perspiration)! Jim

My recollection from my high school chemistry days is that sodium
doesn't catch fire in water, just bounces around and fizzes
vigorously. Potassium metal, OTOH, does catch fire as it fizzes and
bouces around even more vigorously.

I had such fun in the chemistry lab.

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address

Its the liberated hydrogen from the water that burns; explodes if you
get the right concentration.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old May 26th 04, 03:20 PM
Steve Nosko

On 2004-05-25, cva wrote:
.

but asked the following question in the subject header
"Where can I get a lump of Sodium?"

I don't even want to know why you would want a lump of soduim, but look

here

If you are afraid to imagine what it will be used for, why are you
helping find it??

--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

Old May 30th 04, 10:30 PM
John Bachtel

A lump of sodium might make one eligible for a Darwin Award
jrb de nr4jb

On 2004-05-25, cva wrote:

.

absolutely nothing....

but asked the following question in the subject header
"Where can I get a lump of Sodium?"

I don't even want to know why you would want a lump of soduim, but look here

http://www.labdepotinc.com/chemical_...pid~S1100.aspx

--
.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
.. Note: Address modified to avoid so-called "spam". To reply via .

Old May 30th 04, 11:39 PM
Padraigh ProAmerica

I just took the anual 8-hour HAZWOPER (First responder at operations
level) HAZMAT course; one of the areas covered by our instruction was on
protective equipment. He told us of an incident in Lynn, MA; the FD
responded to a fire at a chemical company. The fire was in an area where
there was a 100-pound vat of molten sodium. One of the firefighters
threw a shovel ful of sand on the sodium.
In solid form, sodium is highly reactive. In molten form, if it comes in
contact with ANY water, it explodes.
Maybe there had been some water on the shovel..or maybe in the sand.
Either way, the vat exploded.
There were seven firefighters in the room. All seven had disregarded
instructions, and had their turnout gear in various forms of disarray.
All seven suffered severe, third-degree burns where their turnout gear
wsasn't as it should be. All seven are now permanently disabled.
1) ALWAYS use protective gear properly.
2) Never, NEVER mess with elemental sodium!!!

"There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americans"

Theodore Roosevelt

Old June 1st 04, 06:49 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:30:17 GMT, John Bachtel
wrote:

A lump of sodium might make one eligible for a Darwin Award
jrb de nr4jb

Oh, for heaven's sake. Sodium is easily handled if you are familiar
with the stuff. Keep it under Kerosene.

Don't get it near water and do not get it against bare skin.

OTOH I've taken *small* pieces/slivers of it and dropped it on water
as a demonstration. They skate around as if they were on ice, but
popping like tiny firecrackers.

Larger chunks into water would not be smart. It generates heat,
Hydrogen, and Oxygen. The Sodium is hot enough at the water interface
(at least to start before it gets hot) to ignite the Hydrogen/Oxygen
mix making the popping sounds with the little slivers.

In high school chem lab we used to get to play with Sodium and
Phosphorus. Now days they wouldn't even do the demos and as kids we
were able to do them ourselves.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com