Old December 15th 11, 09:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Vertical antenna tip caps

In message , Rob
writes
Audio1 wrote:
On 12/15/2011 12:11 PM, Rob wrote:
wrote:
Thanks for the ideas.
The question was prompted because I don't want to take the antenna down for
a check or repair, and I don't know how well my readily available materials
hold up under UV and heat.

How useful is it to have plastic tip caps on an antenna you cannot reach?

If the antenna is made of hollow aluminum tubing it keeps rain, snow and
insects out of the tube.

Ah tube... I was thinking about steel rod with a pointy (and maybe
dangerous) end.

Expanding foam filler (trim off what oozes back out of the ends of the
tube).
--
Ian

Old December 15th 11, 09:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
Thanks for the ideas.
The question was prompted because I don't want to take the antenna
down for a check or repair, and I don't know how well my readily
available materials hold up under UV and heat.

How useful is it to have plastic tip caps on an antenna you cannot
reach?

If the antenna is made of hollow aluminum tubing it keeps rain, snow
and insects out of the tube.

It would also prevent the tube from howling or "singing" when the wind
hits just right.

--
Bert Hyman W0RSB St. Paul, MN
Old December 15th 11, 09:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
Thanks for the ideas.
The question was prompted because I don't want to take the antenna down
for
a check or repair, and I don't know how well my readily available
materials
hold up under UV and heat.

How useful is it to have plastic tip caps on an antenna you cannot
reach?

If the antenna is made of hollow aluminum tubing it keeps rain, snow and
insects out of the tube.

Ah tube... I was thinking about steel rod with a pointy (and maybe
dangerous) end.

-
Yes in some posts last week or so, I was talking about a steel whip.
However, I have ordered some telescoping tubing to replace the whip with a
longer radiator. It won't be that difficult to take the antenna up and
down, but at my age, it's better to stay off ladders and roofs

-Wayne
W5GIE

Old December 15th 11, 10:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
Thanks for the ideas.
The question was prompted because I don't want to take the antenna down for
a check or repair, and I don't know how well my readily available materials
hold up under UV and heat.

How useful is it to have plastic tip caps on an antenna you cannot reach?

If the antenna is made of hollow aluminum tubing it keeps rain, snow and
insects out of the tube.

Intelligent questions have a better chance of
receiving intelligent answers -- versus receiving QRM.

Is this a vertical whip antenna, a vertical tubing antenna, a vertical
pipe antenna, a vertical tower antenna, or even a vertical wire antenna?
Old December 15th 11, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

ig.com...

wrote:
Thanks for the ideas.
The question was prompted because I don't want to take the antenna down
for
a check or repair, and I don't know how well my readily available
materials
hold up under UV and heat.

How useful is it to have plastic tip caps on an antenna you cannot
reach?

If the antenna is made of hollow aluminum tubing it keeps rain, snow and
insects out of the tube.

Intelligent questions have a better chance of
receiving intelligent answers -- versus receiving QRM.

Is this a vertical whip antenna, a vertical tubing antenna, a vertical
pipe antenna, a vertical tower antenna, or even a vertical wire antenna?
-

Going back to the original post....
"Where does one acquire those slip on tips for vertical antenna elements.
Or
what readily available alternatives are there?"

I don't recall seeing slip on tips for whips, pipes, towers, or wires.
Apparently you have, so I will clarify by saying that it is 3/8 inch tubing.
Is that "intelligent question" enough for you?

Old December 15th 11, 11:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Wayne" wrote in message
Where does one acquire those slip on tips for vertical antenna elements.
Or what readily available alternatives are there?

Wayne
W5GIE

Another idea.
Have used this for many years.
Put a small wood dowel inside the element, snug fit, make it flush with the
end of the element.
Dip end of element if "Dip It" or "Liquid Electricians Tape".
Have elements that have been up for lots and lots of years without a
problem.
Heat, water, snow, ice, UV; nothing seems to bother it.

K7SAM

Old December 15th 11, 11:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Topaz305rk" wrote in message

"Wayne" wrote in message
Where does one acquire those slip on tips for vertical antenna elements.
Or what readily available alternatives are there?

Wayne
W5GIE

Another idea.
Have used this for many years.
Put a small wood dowel inside the element, snug fit, make it flush with the
end of the element.
Dip end of element if "Dip It" or "Liquid Electricians Tape".
Have elements that have been up for lots and lots of years without a
problem.
Heat, water, snow, ice, UV; nothing seems to bother it.

K7SAM
**************
Interesting....
Thanks.

Old December 16th 11, 02:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Used by utility/communications companies - http://www.caplugs.com/

Old December 16th 11, 09:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Wayne wrote:
I don't recall seeing slip on tips for whips, pipes, towers, or wires.

Well, I do...

vertical antenna Patrick Antenna 1 March 25th 08 01:04 PM
The Long and Thin Vertical Loop Antenna. [ The Non-Resonance Vertical with a Difference ] RHF Shortwave 0 December 27th 05 06:03 PM
High Q caps for 60 Khz loop antenna? TRABEM Homebrew 22 November 4th 05 11:37 PM
HIGH Q CAPS FOR VLF LOOP ANTENNA? TRABEM Antenna 85 October 31st 05 03:25 PM
Antenna trap rubber caps...options Kirk Mohror Antenna 6 November 14th 04 04:31 AM