Old May 28th 04, 06:11 AM
Dan

Default suggestions for a limited space HF antenna.. vertical or dipole

I live is an area that really does not mind antennas however my home
and property are limited. I have about 70 by 130 feet an da coulpe
small trees about 25 feet high. I think my best bet is a vertical. I
also think i woud like one that states no radials required such as the
Diamond 80 to 6 meter CP6 vertical or somethin gsimilar.. Any
suggestions.. what am I missing ? verytical or diploe type or
somethign else.. Thanks for any suggestions
Old May 28th 04, 08:57 AM
Roger Conroy

"Dan" wrote in message
I live is an area that really does not mind antennas however my home
and property are limited. I have about 70 by 130 feet an da coulpe
small trees about 25 feet high. I think my best bet is a vertical. I
also think i woud like one that states no radials required such as the
Diamond 80 to 6 meter CP6 vertical or somethin gsimilar.. Any
suggestions.. what am I missing ? verytical or diploe type or
somethign else.. Thanks for any suggestions

Take a look at the MFJ-1798 It covers 80m to 2m. No radials and is only
about 6m tall. Can be ground or roof mounted. I know several owners who are
very happy with it.

73
Roger ZR3RC

Old May 28th 04, 12:44 PM
'Doc

Dan,
I think you have several options, since a 70 by
130 foot lot isn't all that 'limited'. Trees, 20 to
25 feet tall, make for very nice antenna supports if
they aren't too close together, and if you have or can
have additional supports near the corners of your lot,
you even have room for a 160 meter antenna.
Vertical antennas do work, but the "Whiz - Bang", all
band verticals are more 'whiz' than 'bang', in my limited
experience, and not so limited opinion. A healthy dose
of 'salts' is always indicated with antenna claims!
How things are situated on your property is going to
have more impact on what antenna(s) you can use than any
thing else. If things are not exactly in the wrong places,
almost anything will work...
'Doc
Old May 28th 04, 01:21 PM
Larry Gauthier \(K8UT\)

Dan,

Your space is not all that limited -- most hams find themselves in the same
circumstances. I think it really depends on what you want to do.

If you're a DXer and want to work distant stations, multi-band verticals to
work quite well. I use a HyGain AV640 (6 bands from 40 - 6, no traps, no
radials, full power, individual adjustments on all bands) and it does well
with distant stuff but is lousy for local QSOs on 40.

If you are more interested in local stuff, you have enough property for
dipoles or loops from 80 on up... and even 160m with a little creative
design. I use horizontal delta loops on 40m and 30m, and dipoles on 160 an
80.
--
-larry
K8UT

Old May 28th 04, 01:32 PM
Bob Miller

On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:11:54 -0600, Dan wrote:

I live is an area that really does not mind antennas however my home
and property are limited. I have about 70 by 130 feet an da coulpe
small trees about 25 feet high. I think my best bet is a vertical. I
also think i woud like one that states no radials required such as the
Diamond 80 to 6 meter CP6 vertical or somethin gsimilar.. Any
suggestions.. what am I missing ? verytical or diploe type or
somethign else.. Thanks for any suggestions

You could always put up an all-band "wonder" vertical. But then
augment it with the longest dipole you can stretch betwee your trees,
and feed it w/ladderline plus a tuner. That would kinda give you the
best of both worlds -- one or the other might be better, depending on
band or propagation.

bob
k5qwg