Old March 28th 12, 01:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Batterycharger ??

Ok
So one calles me an idiot, another calls me brainless.

One chap partially answers my question, thank you very much.

What happened to Hams? Used to be such a knowledgeable bunch, still are
however there are lots who are wanna bees and you can patrol the newsgroups
looking for whatever.

I have a pretty good question here Mark, Robby, just because you don't know
the answer, don't make it look like you are smarter than me.

So Robby, you called me an idiot, yet I asked the question, and you haven't
any idea about the question. Same to you Mark. Just because you don't know
about rechargeable AA batteries, keep your ignorance to yourselves. I am
asking, and just because you don't know a thing about AA batteries, well, I
recommend either you asking or take a course.

The best thing for you two to do is when someone asks a question, and you
don't know the answer, haven't even a clue. Just hang on the side there and
watch (or listen) and you will learn also.

I think I may have answered it myself anyway, I am charging for a full
charge then about 15% more which re-sets the timer. And I also agree with
Jeff, the first few charges in their genisis are important.

So there you go Mark and Robby, see you learned something here today, you
can thank me. Why not thank someone who helps you learn, instead you call
them names, fling some mud.

Good luck

73s

"Mark Arilss" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 23:44:36 -0400, " Tuuk"
wrote:

Since it is for my HT I would only assume it qualifies for antenna
subject,

You ASSume wrong oh brainless one! You can't really be that stupid can
you?

Old March 28th 12, 04:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hi guys

I think i have answered my own question again. Jeff you are right, the
charger I have is lower end and while good for traveling, it is lmited.

The older chargers aren't suitable for the newer batteries. With 3000 and
3500 mah batteries out now and these older chargers are only good for lower
amp hour batteries, you need the smart chargers. Here is one I am going to
try and will give you all a report later on as to its workability.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Ac...er_p_3012.html

If anyone has comments on this charger, I sure would like to hear. Seems
like it is a good smart charger but only runs up to 2900 mah so my batteries
that are 3000 mah may work well.

73s

Old March 28th 12, 05:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:18:21 -0400, " Tuuk"
wrote:

I think i have answered my own question again. Jeff you are right, the
charger I have is lower end and while good for traveling, it is lmited.

I didn't say it was limited. I said it was a piece of junk. I have
mine in my digital camera bag, for use only in emergencies.

My favorite cheap NiMH AA charger is another piece of junk that I
picked up at Radio Shock. Model 23-1305.
http://www.digicircle.com/item_desc.php?make=RadioShack&model=23-1305%2030-Minute%20Battery%20Charger&id=29506745
Works with AA NiMH only, charges in 30 mins, and hasn't killed any
cells, yet. It's smart enough to recognize that a cell is partly or
fully charged. I erratically retest my NiMH batteries for capacity
loss after charging with my CMA-II battery analyzer. No problems yet.

If you want to do something better, try converting your HT battery
pack to Li-Ion. You'll need an external Li-Ion charger and some
mechanical work, but the resultant huge increase in capacity will be
worthwhile. I've done this for a few home toys (flashlights, alarm
system, battery backup, etc) but have not tried it with an HT. See
model airplane and model auto sites for chargers.

If not, go shopping for an NiMH "smart" charger.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 28th 12, 07:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

" Tuuk" wrote in message

snip

These batteries measure all 1.38 volts when charged pretty consistantly
and 1.17v when depleted, other than that I cannot measure the efficiency
of the charger to predict time of charge, according to the manufacture it
should be 9.9 hours, according to the math 3000mha devided by 360 ma of
the unit says 8.3 hours to charge full capacity.

Math always works but it won't give you a good answer if you use bad
numbers.

Here's what I mean: Yes, 360 mA times 8.3 hours equals approximately 3000
mAh but you have overlooked a widely-acknowledged rule for recharging:

Charge at 0.1C for about 16 hours, where "C" is the nominal capacity. Using
that rule, you charge a 3000 mA-h cell at 300 mA for 16 hours. (A battery
maker may impose or recommend something else. I'm parroting what I have
picked up.)

Not all the energy is stored by chemical conversion. Some is lost as heat,
which explains why you need to run the charger longer than you calculated.
(9.9 hours gets you closer but I bet they want to stop short of a maximum
charge to avoid having the cells vent.)

Some support for my views, plus helpful advice he
http://www.powerstream.com/NiMH.htm

"Sal"

Old March 28th 12, 11:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:26:57 -0400, " Tuuk" wrote:

So one calles me an idiot, another calls me brainless.
One chap partially answers my question, thank you very much.

If someone wants to answer an off topic post, that's is up to them, I, and
several others don't encourage them by refusing to answer. Your logic(?) is
flawed if you think owning an HT that has an antenna means your battery
questions are relevant - they are not. That same logic would give you or anyone
else the right to ask about an automobile engine simply because the car has an
antenna, be it 10, 6 or 2 meter, it doesn't make it on topic. Only an idiot
wouldn't understand that.

What happened to Hams? Used to be such a knowledgeable bunch, still are
however there are lots who are wanna bees and you can patrol the newsgroups
looking for whatever.

When you become one, be sure to LEARN about the basics, or at least learn where
to go to be on topic. A good general information place to start would be
alt.ham.radio but be forewarned, don't ask about your sauna rocks, or any other
non-amateur radio related subject, it will only give you away as an idiot or
troll. Your "handle" seems appropriate at least. If you are going to insist you
are a licensed ham, prove it first. You have certainly provided enough
information to prove you aren't. One more time, if your question doesn't relate
to the title of the group, don't bother asking there, go to any group that is
simply a ham radio group, not an antenna group, not a digital group, nor any
other group your question directly relates to, not because you happen to have an
antenna in the next room, or a modem packed away in a box somewhere.

I have a pretty good question here Mark, Robby, just because you don't know
the answer, don't make it look like you are smarter than me.

Your attempt to egg us on, well, I can only speak for myself at least, will not
work. I can't speak for Mark, but I will only state that I most assuredly know
about this topic, and let me add, your musings are so far off base, they have
been entertaining, if nothing else. I, like many, do not encourage repeated
abuse by people like yourself. People who, in spite of being told repeatedly
that your posts are off topic in this group, continue to IGNORE those who tried
to help you by pointing you to one of the other groups where your ignorance will
be hidden from view by virtue of not being off topic. If you continue to ignore
this fact, then you are rightly labeled as ignorant. I can only surmise you are
either a politician, or a salesman of some sort. A car salesman perhaps? Or
maybe a tire, (or do you spell it tyre there) jockey? Oh, and I don't have to
be ignorant of batteries, (I am quite knowledgeable in fact) to make it look
like I'm smarter than you are, you are proving that just fine all by yourself
thank you. You would have been much better off not responding to my post.

So Robby, you called me an idiot, yet I asked the question, and you haven't
any idea about the question. Same to you Mark. Just because you don't know
about rechargeable AA batteries, keep your ignorance to yourselves. I am
asking, and just because you don't know a thing about AA batteries, well, I
recommend either you asking or take a course.

Again, your crude attempt to provoke an answer out of me at least won't work.
I'll leave it to Mark to give you his response, if he even bothers to give you
one.

Speaking of responses, this will be my last, regardless of how much you try to
provoke one. I can only speak for myself, but I would hope everyone else here
ignores your future off topic posts, as amusing as they might be, they have no
place here. If you feel this is unfair, comment about it in alt.ham.radio, or
better yet, find a Canadian amateur radio group, perhaps they will have more lax
rules.

Old March 28th 12, 11:56 PM
Senior Member

Come on now Mark Play Nice.

You can't fix stupid!

Handitalkies are for idiots.
WHY?
Because they don't do anything!
Yes they are great for public service events, for hamfests where you want to keep track of each individual person in your group, in emergencies where most communications has been wiped out.

But they suck if you cannot hit the repeaters and their LOS is determined by the size of the ANTENNA, and the height of the antenna above ground.

Two rules of thumb - transmitter range is usually LOS - Line of Sight, even when it is line of sight, the range even for a good antenna is about 1.15 miles per each foot the antenna is held above ground.

Rule number 2 - most educated people, builds repeaters in high places.
Mountain tops, tall buildings, on top of tall towers etc....
The repeater by rule of thumb - usually has a hi gain antenna and a transmitter of 10 - 150 watts..

This extends the range of the hand held as well as the repeater.

The funny thing is - most people are so uneducated - they do not realize that the repeater does all of the work.
All that they are concerned with is that they can buy some type of handitalkie for $50 - $250.00 and are free of the expense of a radio, a power supply, a length of coax, a tower or piece of pipe, grounding, a hi gain antenna - which all costs money!

If the only radio a person owns is a handitalkie - they are not HAMS - they are CB;rs....
Why?
Because when MR. Tornado comes to town and wipes out the repeater - they are of no use to anyone except the local group which handles traffic from the EOC to the hospital, Police, Fire, Ambulance - locally.

Most of those people - because they have no radio experience, is dumbfounded when it comes to putting up temporary repeaters, handling traffic, being of any real value. Because the Handitalkie pretty much reminds them of being on a phone - they end up talking most times as if they were on a telephone. That in return makes us all look bad!

Most times when a emergency does happen, the walkie talkie is still sitting in the drawer - where it was kept for emergencies -with dead batteries and of no use to anyone.

At least the OP didn't waste their money on one of these new Bofung handheld $50.00 radios. Their battery lifespan while transmitting is about 45 minutes max. What does a person do after a hour and a half when both the battery and the spare is dead? They run back to the EOC for another radio or another task to perform.

My personal opinion is that if a person had a GOTA bag with a 50 watt mobile transceiver, a dual band antenna, 6 sticks of 4' fiberglass pole, a ground rod, a 40' length of coax and one of those 850 CCA jump starter battery packs - they could effectively reduce transmit power if needed and could transmit for hours on a single charge. It could be recharged off a vehicle battery, and if it had cross repeat / could be used as a repeater in a emergency to go between the walkie talkies and a more distant repeater...
Old March 29th 12, 12:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Nice work Sal

Thats what I am talking about. I knew you had it in ya.

I decided to buy a smart charger, the

http://www.adorama.com/ANCE8.html?ut...ource=dealtime

I bought it from a different source at much cheaper the price online
including shipping to my door.

While my other rigs are 1970ish, the HT is mostly for local stuff, the boat,
the company channels, the marine band and the grs bands. Very handy
actually, and practical because programable for a lot of uses. Once it was
opened up.

Thanks for the feedback, sorry for the off topic question and always
appreciate your expertise on here. 73s

Old March 29th 12, 04:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 3/28/2012 7:26 AM, Tuuk wrote:
[...]

My apologies for the group that used to be here.

Many of the people answering lately are not hams.

Those that are will show their calls. Those that hide are not hams.

tom
K0TAR
Old March 29th 12, 11:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:31:12 -0400, Robby wrote:

On 27 Mar 2012 03:25:56 GMT, Allodoxaphobia
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 20:22:09 -0400, Tuuk wrote:
Hi Anyone familiar with the Energiser CHDC-CA Battery Charger? That
just happens to be the model number of the one I have but very common
all over the place and just the typical AAA and AA battery charger.
Charges 4 at a time. It is timer operated meaning it operates for
about 8.5 hours and shuts off preventing over charging. The manual
says it will charge 2650mah AA batteries in 8.8 hours then shuts off
automatically. I try to deplete the batter as much as possible. The
unit's output is 2.8v 360mh . Now I believe also its max charge time
is 8.5 hours or auto shuts off at 8.5 hours.
Now, my new batteries ni mh are 3000 mah . Now if you cross mulitply
you end up with a 10 hour charge time mathematically, that can be
done, just charge 1.2 (or 1.5) hours longer and remember to stop it.
But if you factor it differently as the 3000mah divided by the 360
equals the 8.3 hours to charge, not needing the additional charging.

Anyone have experience with these?

As an ANTENNA???!!!

He's an idiot. He doesn't care that his posts are always off topic, and
at least some people doubt he even has a license. He clearly doesn't
understand batteries and charging them, nor much of anything else it
seems. Just do what most people do - ignore him.

Maybe he needs the batteries for his sauna.
Old March 29th 12, 02:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hi David

Batteries for my sauna? Now I never thought about that. 6000 watts ? Now
that is awsome.

I am afraid that the gnd radiation from the granite rocks I used might
interfere with the pulse charging action of today's smart chargers.

But I wonder how many AA batteries would have to be used inline to deliver
6000 watts for about an hours sauna?

You tell me that David and I will tip my hat to ya.