Old June 3rd 04, 07:19 PM
Gary Boyer

Default Ground Rod Removal

I have two ground rods I am thinking about moving to another location, is
this practical or would it be easier to just poundem in the ground and buy
new rods....does anyone have an easy method for taking the rods out of the
ground...I am not interested in building any equipment to do this removal
project...please advise..thanks..Gary, K8BY

Old June 3rd 04, 07:31 PM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 18:19:40 GMT, "Gary Boyer"
wrote:
I have two ground rods I am thinking about moving to another location, is
this practical or would it be easier to just poundem in the ground and buy
new rods

Hi Gary,

Leave them alone and add new ones.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old June 3rd 04, 07:38 PM

Gary Boyer wrote:
I have two ground rods I am thinking about moving to another location, is
this practical or would it be easier to just poundem in the ground and buy
new rods....does anyone have an easy method for taking the rods out of the
ground...I am not interested in building any equipment to do this removal
project...please advise..thanks..Gary, K8BY

Highly depends on the rods and what you have access to.

One method that may work for you is a bumper jack and a piece of chain
to the rods; if you can secure the chain to the rod, you can usually
jack them out far enough you can pull them by hand.

Usually its easier to just pound them down.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old June 3rd 04, 08:38 PM
Irv Finkleman

Gary Boyer wrote:

I have two ground rods I am thinking about moving to another location, is
this practical or would it be easier to just poundem in the ground and buy
new rods....does anyone have an easy method for taking the rods out of the
ground...I am not interested in building any equipment to do this removal
project...please advise..thanks..Gary, K8BY

Tie a piece of chain around them and pull them loose with a car jack. Works
like a charm. You normally just have to get them a little loose and the
rest is easy. I've done it a few times with 10 ft copper clad steel rods.

Irv VE6BP
--
--------------------------------------
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001
Old June 3rd 04, 08:45 PM
Allan Butler

What the other people have suggested sound like good ideas for pulling a
ground rod. Something that might make it a little bit easier before pulling
them with the chain and jack is to put a pipe wrench on the rod and turn it
in the ground a few times. That way the bond between the dirt and the rod
is broken and it should pull up a little bit easier. In fact, while you are
turning the rod, you might try pulling up on it a little bit at the same
time like you are unscrewing it from the ground.

Old June 3rd 04, 08:54 PM
mike

Gary Boyer wrote:

I have two ground rods I am thinking about moving to another location, is
this practical or would it be easier to just poundem in the ground and buy
new rods....does anyone have an easy method for taking the rods out of the
ground...I am not interested in building any equipment to do this removal
project...please advise..thanks..Gary, K8BY

Showing my Ham age here. . . in the late 60's early 70's was suggested
that you an old style car jack. Figure some way to latch the ground rod
to the lifting lip of the jack and start cranking.

Mike N0QFV
Old June 3rd 04, 09:46 PM
Kyle2

Use your common sense and buy some new ones. How does anyone else know if
YOUR earth rods will be difficult to remove!

"Gary Boyer" wrote in message
I have two ground rods I am thinking about moving to another location, is
this practical or would it be easier to just poundem in the ground and buy
new rods....does anyone have an easy method for taking the rods out of the
ground...I am not interested in building any equipment to do this removal
project...please advise..thanks..Gary, K8BY

---

Old June 3rd 04, 10:17 PM
Jim Justus

"Allan Butler" wrote in message
What the other people have suggested sound like good ideas for pulling a
ground rod. Something that might make it a little bit easier before

pulling
them with the chain and jack is to put a pipe wrench on the rod and turn

it
in the ground a few times. That way the bond between the dirt and the rod
is broken and it should pull up a little bit easier. In fact, while you

are
turning the rod, you might try pulling up on it a little bit at the same
time like you are unscrewing it from the ground.

This works! Have did it for years, never had a problem.

Jim

Old June 4th 04, 02:13 AM
Dave Shrader

When I moved from Massachusetts to NH I just pounded them into the
ground about 2 to 3 inches below earth level.

Old June 4th 04, 05:28 AM
Irv Finkleman

Dave Shrader wrote:

When I moved from Massachusetts to NH I just pounded them into the
ground about 2 to 3 inches below earth level.

I'm too cheap to give up my copper clad steel ground rods! Removal is
really simple using a car jack and a piece of chain. To hook the chain
on the rod, just put a clamp on the rod temporarily. It's actually very
simple and I'm surprised at all the discussion.

--