Old April 22nd 12, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default I'm Baaaaaack!

Couldn't stay away! I knew when I departed that I'd be
back eventually -- but I didn't realize how quickly. I should
have known. My only interest now is in antennas. I just moved into
a senior's residence where outside antennas or anything on the roof are out
of the question -- at least that's what they think. I will be QRP using a
Yaesu FT-817ND.

Over the years, before assorted medical problems lay me low, I
helped a lot of hams who thought they'd have to forgo the hobby
(due to antenna restrictions) get on the air. Now it's my turn to
help myself!!!

I tried working using an indoor antenna but with all the metal in the
frame of the building and around the windows it appears that this
option is out of the question. Even a wire loop taped to the
window couldn't get WWV when a chum of mine was getting
it 20 over 9! I tried dropping a line outside the
window to near the ground, but it receives little if anything -- probably
due to the capacity between the antenna and the building. I did
find that if I strung the wire out perpendicular to the building it
worked beautifully.

I have now drilled a small hole (about 1/4 inch) through the window
frame and plan to string some fairly invisible or very low profile
wire out from the window and over a nearby tree with the end
hanging down through the tree. Using this with an MFJ-1625
tuner I should be able to get out well. The tuner has a separate
inductor which allows me to tune the counterpoise (which I can
run along the wall in my suite), and combining this with low
power and some RF Chokes on the power supply line I should
be able to operate. It's difficult to quit after over 50 plus years
of ham radio.

In any event, once I get on the air I can consider other antenna
alternatives, but the immediate need is to get a signal out and myself
back on the air.

This afternoon I'm going to a surplus warehouse searching for
some suitable wire to string. I have a couple of questions re my
setup that I've never had to deal with before, so that will be my

As for my problem re trolling I guess I'll have to use blocking
techniques which I didn't want to have to employ in fear of missing
some good information. In any event, here I am again and I'm
happy again!

Irv VE6BP
Calgary, AB

Old April 22nd 12, 09:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Irv Finkleman" wrote in message
Couldn't stay away! I knew when I departed that I'd be
back eventually -- but I didn't realize how quickly.

snip

Irv VE6BP
Calgary, AB

Welcome back, OM