Old May 9th 12, 01:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Power bar noise filter???

Anyone have good success with a noise filter power bar? I am looking at the
Monster Power Blackout HDP 660.

I am getting a lot of electrical noise, RFI and I know some comes from the
TV, but when TV is off there is still some anoying noise that I am thinking
a EMI RFI Noice filter would help to reduce this. The rig is 40 years old.

Anyone have any cheap comments regarding any power bar or surge protector
that have the best RFI EMI noice filtering?

Thanks
73s

Old May 9th 12, 02:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 8 May 2012 20:05:18 -0400, " Tuuk"
wrote:

Anyone have good success with a noise filter power bar? I am looking at the
Monster Power Blackout HDP 660.

I am getting a lot of electrical noise, RFI and I know some comes from the
TV, but when TV is off there is still some anoying noise that I am thinking
a EMI RFI Noice filter would help to reduce this. The rig is 40 years old.

Anyone have any cheap comments regarding any power bar or surge protector
that have the best RFI EMI noice filtering?

Probably a dumb question, but is the noise for sure coming in through
the rigs power plug? You took off the antenna and the noise is still
there right? Cause if it's gone with the ant off a power line filter
won't help much.
Old May 9th 12, 02:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 5/8/2012 7:05 PM, Tuuk wrote:
Anyone have good success with a noise filter power bar? I am looking at
the Monster Power Blackout HDP 660.

I am getting a lot of electrical noise, RFI and I know some comes from
the TV, but when TV is off there is still some anoying noise that I am
thinking a EMI RFI Noice filter would help to reduce this. The rig is 40
years old.

Anyone have any cheap comments regarding any power bar or surge
protector that have the best RFI EMI noice filtering?

Thanks
73s

Monster products are something any EE wishes they thought of, but none
of them did because they are a ripoff, at least from the
price/performance perspective and engineers normally aren't in that
business.

Oxygen free copper, ways of winding the strands so they work better, all
BS when it comes to signal delivery and the ability of the human ear to
perceive it. It's almost as bad as damping factor.

I love the line voltage regulators they sell. Like the voltage
regulators in every single piece of equipment plugged into the line
don't work.

tom
K0TAR

Old May 9th 12, 02:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 5/8/2012 8:13 PM, AJL wrote:
On Tue, 8 May 2012 20:05:18 -0400, "
wrote:

Anyone have good success with a noise filter power bar? I am looking at the
Monster Power Blackout HDP 660.

I am getting a lot of electrical noise, RFI and I know some comes from the
TV, but when TV is off there is still some anoying noise that I am thinking
a EMI RFI Noice filter would help to reduce this. The rig is 40 years old.

Anyone have any cheap comments regarding any power bar or surge protector
that have the best RFI EMI noice filtering?

Probably a dumb question, but is the noise for sure coming in through
the rigs power plug? You took off the antenna and the noise is still
there right? Cause if it's gone with the ant off a power line filter
won't help much.

Those types of products are something any EE wishes they thought of, but
none of them did because they are a ripoff, at least from the
price/performance perspective and engineers normally aren't in that
business.

Oxygen free copper, ways of winding the strands so they work better, all
BS when it comes to signal delivery and the ability of the human ear to
perceive it. It's almost as bad as damping factor being meaningful.

I love the line voltage regulators that some sell. Like the voltage

Old May 9th 12, 07:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I agree with the comments here. I doubt you will get success with this
product or improvements with any Monster product.

I had a microwave that made noise in my receiver, a lot. It was coming
in from the antenna, not the power line. I figured the microwave was
radiating noise into the power line and thence to my antenna. I took the
microwave apart and installed an inductor capacitor module to suppress
the noise within the steel cabinet. That worked. These modules are not
cheap, even on ebay. Getting a module like this for 15 amps cost me 27
bucks on ebay. \

Once you let the noise out of the enclosure into a power cord, the power
cord will radiate even if there is any suppression at all in an external
filter.

Like I said, you will need an inductor capacitor filter mounted inside
your tv or other device that is radiating emi. Most people are unwilling
to get that serious about things.

There is another horrible possibility. A friend who lived in an
apartment got terrible noise from an adjacent apartment that had a large
plasma tv. LCD tvs don't do this. The noise was actually radiating
directly from the screen. Nothing to be done. He got them to take back
their new tv for full credit and buy an lcd tv. He sweetened the deal
with 100 bucks. LCD tvs generally cost a bit more than plasma.

As was already said, take off the antenna and if the noise goes away, a
power line filter will do nothing.

Michael

Old May 9th 12, 11:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Boomer" wrote in message

snip

As was already said, take off the antenna and if the noise goes away, a
power line filter will do nothing.

Michael

Just a skoshie clarification, if I may. Can we please restate that that
only applies to power line filtering on the victim device? You said it
nicely in your earlier text, but the summary sentence [quoted] left an
opening for the reader possibly to rule out all power line filtering.

I hope this helps.

"Sal"
(a 20 year NARTE-certified EMC engineer in my working days.)

Old May 10th 12, 02:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

You haven't yet said if you tried disconnecting the antenna and whether
or not the noise was still there. That's the first test, and the best way
to determine if the noise is coming through the power line or the
antenna.

Irv VE6BP

Old May 10th 12, 03:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 5/9/2012 8:25 PM, Irv Finkleman wrote:
You haven't yet said if you tried disconnecting the antenna and whether
or not the noise was still there. That's the first test, and the best way
to determine if the noise is coming through the power line or the
antenna.

Irv VE6BP

Thanks for following it as a trail, Irv. It's nice to see things going
that way here again.

tom
K0TAR
Old May 10th 12, 03:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Sometimes we forgot the advice suggested in earlier
posts which might have cleared the problem or put
us on the right track. It was a very worthy point and
I just wanted to be sure AJL followed up on it.

It is nice to see things running smooth here again.
I truly consider this one of the best groups available
for hams -- antennas are sometimes very difficult
to understand and I've seen a lot of positive advice
here -- and learned a lot as well!

Irv VE6BP

. net...

Old May 10th 12, 05:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 5/9/2012 9:24 PM, tom wrote:
On 5/9/2012 8:25 PM, Irv Finkleman wrote:
You haven't yet said if you tried disconnecting the antenna and whether
or not the noise was still there. That's the first test, and the best way
to determine if the noise is coming through the power line or the
antenna.

Irv VE6BP

Thanks for following it as a trail, Irv. It's nice to see things going
that way here again.

tom
K0TAR

It's quite possible that poor or no feed line decoupling could be a
culprit also.
With no decoupling, the coax will pick up shack/house noise on the
outer side of the shield, and pipe it back to the receiver on the
inside of the shield. Assuming coax anyway..
Of course, far off noise is more likely to be received by the antenna
itself, and even a system with a decoupled feed line would still
receive the noise.