Old June 15th 04, 01:03 PM
John Schmerold

Default Radiofence Pet Containment System Radio signal shield

I need to shield radio emmisions from a 5' segment of our dog's radio
fence ( http://radiofence.com ) to let the dog past an area in the
garage - other routes I've considered won't work.

I'm thinking running the line line thru a copper pipe will get the job
done.

The normal method of wrapping two legs of the run around itself won't
work where I need the shield.

Thoughts, comments etc ?
Old June 15th 04, 07:49 PM
Steve Nosko

"John Schmerold" wrote in message
om...
I need to shield radio emmisions from a 5' segment of our dog's radio
fence ( http://radiofence.com ) to let the dog past an area in the
garage - other routes I've considered won't work.

I'm thinking running the line line thru a copper pipe will get the job
done.

The normal method of wrapping two legs of the run around itself won't
work where I need the shield.

Thoughts, comments etc ?

What frequency do these work at?
Is it low and therefore primarily magnetic pickup on the dog?

I'm currently trying to help a friend make an antenna which must be located
inside a metal ring which is blocking the radiation...

--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

Old June 16th 04, 03:25 AM
Tom Ring

I don't normally comment on this stuff, but...

This is not a good way to train a dog; it makes them very
skittish/paranoid/nuts.

I have known several people that have used this method, and every one
has dropped it as ineffective, even if we ignore the cruelty.

I also saw it tried on 2 generations of German Shepherds by a neighbour
around the corner. Both are no longer at that house. No, they weren't
relocated.

It's a bad idea.

tom
K0TAR

Old June 16th 04, 03:44 AM
John Schmerold

Not to start a holy war, but your generalization is wrong.

We are on an acre, our dogs have plenty of room to run, but we have a
very busy street behind our house & don't want to risk that one of the
dogs gets curious. Further these containment systems are highly
effective. We have an Airedale & a Bichon. Both hear the beep before
being shocked & head in the other direction.

If we were on a small lot with a large dog I'd agree with you. In my
situation, I'd much rather have a skittish dog than a dead dog. As a
practical matter, our dogs haven't become skittish as a result of the
fence & are much happier than if they were in a pen or on a chain.