Old February 9th 13, 02:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Default Dual band antenna ???

On 2/8/2013 8:24 AM, Channel Jumper wrote:

One other antenna - if you had the money and the real estate would be
the High Power - Off Center Fed Dipole - which operates practically
everywhere between 440 MHz and 160 meters - with the exception of 15 and
30 meters.

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/hypower/

If you believe that an antenna will operate effectively from 160m to
70cm you are even more ignorant than I previously thought.

And OCFD are not good even at HF if you really understand how they work
and the problems they have because of that.

tom
K0TAR

Old February 9th 13, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 20:26:03 -0600, tom wrote:

If you believe that an antenna will operate effectively from 160m to
70cm you are even more ignorant than I previously thought.

Yep. To paraphrase Roy Lewallen (W7EL):
Small size, broadband, gain.... pick any two.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old February 9th 13, 03:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"tom" wrote in message

And OCFD are not good even at HF if you really understand how they work
and the problems they have because of that.

tom
K0TAR

Tom have you ever compaired the OCF to other antennas at your house ?

I have. I have up an 80 meter dipole and OCF at right angles to each other
at about 50 to 60 feet on each end. There is not much differance in the two
on 80 except in the favored directions.

Also is a 3 element tribander at 60 feet. On 20 and 10 meters there is not
really that much differance on the stateside stations either when the
stations are in the direction the OCF favors. There is a big differance in
the directions that the OCF does not favor as it should be.
If I could only put up a dipole nonrotating antenna, that would still be the
results.

Now granted the OCF will not work all that well above 10 meters, and there
are some low bands such as 15 meters it will not work well as the swr is
very high.

The OCF I am using is a home made Carolina Windom type for 80 meters and
above.

de KU4PT

Old February 9th 13, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 2/8/2013 9:50 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"tom" wrote in message

And OCFD are not good even at HF if you really understand how they work
and the problems they have because of that.

tom
K0TAR

Tom have you ever compaired the OCF to other antennas at your house ?

I have. I have up an 80 meter dipole and OCF at right angles to each other
at about 50 to 60 feet on each end. There is not much differance in the two
on 80 except in the favored directions.

Well, since a 3 element tribander would have less than an S unit over a
dipole or an OCF I would expect you're correct in stating you can see
almost no difference. They still have problems.

tom
K0TAR

Old February 9th 13, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"tom" wrote in message
Well, since a 3 element tribander would have less than an S unit over a
dipole or an OCF I would expect you're correct in stating you can see
almost no difference. They still have problems.

tom
K0TAR

Again I ask, have you ever used an OCF ?

Also what problems do they have that other antennas do not have as long as
they are used on the bands they are designed for ?

Old February 9th 13, 11:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 2/9/2013 5:46 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"tom" wrote in message
Well, since a 3 element tribander would have less than an S unit over a
dipole or an OCF I would expect you're correct in stating you can see
almost no difference. They still have problems.

tom
K0TAR

Again I ask, have you ever used an OCF ?

Also what problems do they have that other antennas do not have as long as
they are used on the bands they are designed for ?

Sure. Don't like them. They have problems that center feds don't.

tom
K0TAR

Old February 10th 13, 12:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

"tom" wrote in message
Well, since a 3 element tribander would have less than an S unit over a
dipole or an OCF I would expect you're correct in stating you can see
almost no difference. They still have problems.

tom
K0TAR

Again I ask, have you ever used an OCF ?

Also what problems do they have that other antennas do not have as long as
they are used on the bands they are designed for ?

Feedline radiation problems and odd impedances. They seldom live up to
the claims for band coverage. If you have to use a tuner anyway, why
add the unbalanced problems into the mix? Just use a balanced antenna.

tom
K0TAR

Old February 9th 13, 02:51 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
On 2/8/2013 8:24 AM, Channel Jumper wrote:

One other antenna - if you had the money and the real estate would be
the High Power - Off Center Fed Dipole - which operates practically
everywhere between 440 MHz and 80 meters - with the exception of 15 and
30 meters.

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/hypower/

If you believe that an antenna will operate effectively from 80m to
70cm you are even more ignorant than I previously thought.

And OCFD are not good even at HF if you really understand how they work
and the problems they have because of that.

tom
K0TAR
I am going to explain it, but only once.
If you talk to the owner of that web site, he will tell you that the designer of the particular model of off center fed dipole that I am talking about is K3CC.
Again, if you call him on the phone, he will explain to you that K3CC holds 27 US patents and is a lot more intelligent then you will ever be.

A off center fed dipole is not a balanced antenna, but exhibits some properities not found in a regular old dipole.

Reguardless of it's length - you can always find someplace where it is resonant. Its SWR is flat as a board on most bands and is below 2:1 most everywhere else with the exception of 15 and 30 meters........

The neatest thing I ever heard was from a old Motorola Technician who told me two important things.
First was that God gave us two ears and only one mouth.
That means we should listen twice as much as we should speak.

Second was that when a manufacturer makes a radio, they make the most important knob the largest knob - hence the tuning knob is the largest knob on the radio.
If you don't like what you hear - you turn the knob.

I was under the impression that this person was a HAM and wanted to talk as well as listen.
Then we got into a discussion about scanners.
Now I am confused.

With any type of communications - if a pager is suspect and it interferes with amateur radio, you can either A - turn the operator of the pager into the FCC for interfering with amateur radio communications - good luck, or you can add filtering.

Even some two meter repeaters operates illegally, because their signals splatter all over other peoples repeaters.. We need to remember that repeaters are not built and owned by the government or industry, but by regular old ham radio operators like you and me.

As far as analog scanners goes, you sure can't beat a Uniden 890XLT...
Even unmodded, it should hold 200 channels, and has a very sensitive receive.

Moving up to a dedicated transceiver - that can be used as a all band scanner, you could purchase a Yaesu 8900 which does everything from 10 meters to 800 MHz.... At about $450 new, and with a slight modification - resistor removal, will transmit 28 - 29 Mhz, 50 - 54 MHz, 140 - 148 Mhz, 430 - 460 Mhz. and will listen everywhere else.

If you don't have a ham license, then just put the microphone away and listen.
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...

Last edited by Channel Jumper : February 11th 13 at 02:08 PM
Old February 9th 13, 03:06 PM
Senior Member

It's pretty hard to listen when you are talking, and it is pretty hard to compare one antenna to another when you do not have that particular model of antenna there in front of you and in operation at the same time.
And it is not fair to compare one antenna to another when they are not aimed in the same direction.
Antenna comparisons are made at the same time, within one hour of each other and in the same location and height....

http://www.k3cc.net/
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...
Old February 9th 13, 05:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

-
[...]

I hope he is better at designing antennas than at building websites...
Sheesh, what a load of crap. It is still waiting after 5 minutes, and
when I click the "no popups" version I end up at some Google login.