Old July 2nd 16, 02:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Coax question - are the "generic" versions of LMR-400 and LMR-400 Ultraflex as good as the "name brand" or is it not worth the savings?

wrote in message

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 2:08:54 AM UTC-8, Bob wrote:
Like the subject asks, are the "generic" versions of LMR-400 and LMR-400
Ultraflex as good as the "name brand" or is it not worth the savings? Time
for
new coax, so I wanted to get input from those who are familiar with both
before
buying either.

Thanks, and 73,
Bob KB2ZGN

I use Times LMR 400 and have had it up for 20 years without any degradation.
I had the opportunity to shorten a piece and test it to it's standards. I am
a PhD EE and therefore have access to a whole lab of RF tols. It met it's
original specs.

Michael V Taylor
AL1N

Most of the time, if you're not hanging your coax on a remote tower in the
Arctic or in a stream of furnace gasses, the brand name probably doesn't get
you enough to notice. Sure, we all want the best we can get but maybe 0.3
dB isn't worth it to "pay up" for premium quality.

Without exception, whenever I install some cable, whether intended for
long-term use or a temporary Field Day rig, I put a power meter/dummy load
on the far end of the cable and a VSWR meter on the near end. I have to say
I'm no more dedicated than that to establishing my cable is okay. Your
practices might be worlds away and that's fine.

"Sal"
(KD6VKW, San Diego)