Old June 19th 04, 06:38 PM
PDRUNEN

Default Antenna Material

Hi Group,

Where can I get some good grade material for a 6 meter beam elements?

Does a hardware store such as Lowes carry anything that would work for the
elements?

Beam size is 4 to 6 elements.

de KJ4UO
Old June 19th 04, 09:36 PM
murray

http://www.mcmaster.com

McMaster-Carr, online catalog has so much stuff plus lots of info on the
items,
good section on metal tubing and the types and grades available.

Good source for ss bolts and other hardware too.

I use them for aluminum rods, they ship fast from many dc over the usa.

73 murray

Old June 20th 04, 06:07 AM
Mark Keith

Howard wrote:

On 19 Jun 2004 17:38:23 GMT, (PDRUNEN) wrote:

Hi Group,

Where can I get some good grade material for a 6 meter beam elements?

Does a hardware store such as Lowes carry anything that would work for the
elements?

Beam size is 4 to 6 elements.

de KJ4UO

From what I've seen at Lowe's you'll do okay if you intend to make it
from copper pipe - but that would get pretty heavy.

It's not really. Maybe compared to aluminum...I built a 6m 3 el totally
from copper, including the boom, and it's really not that heavy at all.
Might be twice?? aluminum, but a 3 el aluminum beam would be super
light.
4-6 elements from copper could be handled ok. Must use hard drawn copper
though. If you used 6 elements, I'd use a real thick boom, if also
copper...For 3 el, I used 1/2 inch for the elements, and 1 inch for the
boom. With the usual 10 ft lengths they sell for copper tube, it's
easier to make just a 3 el, than larger...But I guess for larger, you
could use 2 inch tube for a boom, and use a coupler between pieces to
add more length..I'd use the larger 2 inch with more elements, as the
boom could sag from the weight..Myself, I'd stick with 3 elements if you
used copper...I brazed all the elements direct to the boom. Uses a gamma
match made from 3/8 copper tube, and coax innerds "center
conductor/dialectric" for a cap..Rg-8 size fits perfect inside the 3/8
copper. There is not much else at Lowes/home depot, etc that will
work...I looked when I made mine...The aluminum, and other tubing, angle
pieces, etc, they sell are unsuitable. Proper aluminum tube for antennas
you would have to find somewhere else. MK
--
http://web.wt.net/~nm5k

Old June 20th 04, 07:51 AM
J999w

I've ordered aluminum tubing for antenna building from Texas Towers and was
quite pleased. If my inquiry on a long 2m yagi falls through, I'll be ordering
again on monday.

jw
K9RZZ
Milwaukee
Old June 20th 04, 08:53 AM
Roy Lewallen

You've gotten some good suggestions about sources and materials. I
haven't seen anyone mention that if you choose aluminum, the stuff you
buy at a Lowes-type store is very different than the type normally used
for commercial Yagis. It's a lot softer and weaker. I don't have enough
experience myself to know if it's good enough for a 6 meter beam, but if
so, it'll be nowhere near as strong as something made from the proper
variety of aluminum (e.g. 6061-T6) which you can get from some of the
sources that have been mentioned. So don't use hardware-store aluminum
tubing for anything that requires much strength or durability.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old June 20th 04, 04:07 PM
Jay in the Mojave

Hello PDRUNEN:

The Hardware Store Aluminum tubing may not last in severe weather and
winds. Here in the Mojave Desert we see 90+ MPH winds at times.

Usually 6063 T8 or 6061 T6 Aluminum Tubing is used. The wall thickness
used is .058 inches. This will normally allow the Aluminum Tubing to
"Telescope" into each other in 1/8 inch increments. Like 1 OD (Outside
Diameter)inch .058 will allow 7/8 OD to fit or Telescope inside it.

But be advised wall thickness tolerances sometimes can be thicker NOT
allowing the Aluminum Tubing to "Telescope". The Aluminum Tubing
Manufactures DO NOT make Aluminum Tubing to "Telescope" unless it is
specified by a large order.

The Boom will be the hardest to design and make. Perhaps a older beam
boom can be used. If you look around at the different beam antennas you
will get the idea. The 6 meter beam shouldn't be a career project. I
suggest using split and insulated driven elements, a Hairpin Matching
System and a good Balun.

Maybe a local metal supply house can help you out.

Texas Towers sells Aluminum Tubing there at:

http://www.texastowers.com/aluminum.htm

Jay in the Mojave

Old June 21st 04, 12:36 PM
Larry Gauthier \(K8UT\)

My local "Do It Center" hardware store has started carrying 6 foot lengths
of T6061 aluminum tubing in 1/16 inch diameter increments up to about 3/4".
For general experimentation and short elements, those might work out for
you. For more serious work you should probably order from a place like Texas
Towers.

--
-larry
K8UT

Old June 21st 04, 11:29 PM
NN7KEXK7ZFG@\(nospam\)SBCGLOBAL.NET

2 other considerations - 1) copper tubeing is quite soft-- got birds? a
pigeon, or even lighter birds
will tend to bend the elements. But, - 2) even with 6061 T, /6063 T
(which is relatively hard drawn
tubeing), at the lenghts required for 6 meter yagis (aprox 55 inch on EACH
side of the boom),
in wind even light by nevada standards ( like in Portland, Oregon),
"whistle" (resonate at audio frequencies), and because they VIBRATE at an
audible rate even in slight winds (have friend
he and me bought 1/2 each of a 6 meter 4 el X 8 yagi moonbounce array- I
used mine for makeing
2 meter antenas, the other guy put 4 stacked up on a 30 foot pole-- this
number of years ago.
Almost immediately, the elements started BREAKING from Metal Fatigue!!
Perhaps, as M2, and
several others have discouvered , elements that are SOLID 1/4 inch, inserted
into 3/8 inch alumium
tubeing seem to hold up, while these (1/4, or 3/16) elements thru the boom
Break off right where they
pass thru the boom, or are anchored by a screw! There are other
considerations for antennas than Gain
Like Weight, Metal Fatigue, oxydation , dissimilar metals (electrolysis).
That it works for a day is one thing
good for a LIFETIME-- thats another story altogether!! Jim NN7K