Old April 18th 13, 01:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Anyone know where I can find plans for an artificial ground?

On Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:57:40 AM UTC-5, Jef wrote:
It says that there must be a conjugate
match, that does not equate to resonance, ...

I was trusting the reader to comprehend that a conjugate match implies system-wide resonance - guess I should have been more explicit.

In a lossless system, a conjugate match *indeed* equates to system-wide resonance. Even if the system is only low-loss, the 50 ohm Z0 match at the tuner input creates a system-wide resonance. Prove it for yourself by taking your grid-dip meter and coupling to different points in the system. From end to end, you will observe the resonance dip.

Like you, some other people misunderstood the point of the article so I revised it and posted the latest revision on my web page.

http://www.w5dxp.com/OWT1.htm
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com
Old April 18th 13, 11:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 05:00:09 -0700 (PDT), W5DXP wrote:

On Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:57:40 AM UTC-5, Jef wrote:
It says that there must be a conjugate
match, that does not equate to resonance, ...

I was trusting the reader to comprehend that a conjugate match implies system-wide resonance - guess I should have been more explicit.

In a lossless system, a conjugate match *indeed* equates to system-wide resonance. Even if the system is only low-loss, the 50 ohm Z0 match at the tuner input creates a system-wide resonance. Prove it for yourself by taking your grid-dip meter and coupling to different points in the system. From end to end, you will observe the resonance dip.

Like you, some other people misunderstood the point of the article so I revised it and posted the latest revision on my web page.

http://www.w5dxp.com/OWT1.htm

Thanks for the link, I will read it with great interest tonight. After all the
comments, I decided it would cost me about as much to build one, (no junk box
items) than buy the MFJ-931, and while it would be fun to build one, my needs
are a little more pressing. So, I'm going to buy one, and since it is relatively
small, I'm going to make a dipole to cover 6 Meters because the MFJ only covers
1.8 to 30 MHz.

I want to thank everyone who responded, making for a lively discussion. It was
illuminating.

73, Bob KB2ZGN

FA: MFJ-931 1.8-30 MHz HF Artificial Ground Larry Wilson Swap 5 January 7th 06 02:26 AM
F.A. MFJ Artificial Ground Unit John Reynolds Boatanchors 0 October 22nd 04 10:10 AM
FS: New MFJ - 931 Artificial Ground K8drn Swap 0 April 19th 04 06:24 AM
FS: MFJ artificial ground K8drn Swap 0 April 3rd 04 09:12 AM
artificial ground Joseph Fenn Antenna 2 March 29th 04 01:23 AM