Old June 23rd 04, 04:48 PM
StrikitRich

Default FM Antennas

Pardon me if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but hopefully
I can get an answer here.

What would be the best type of antenna for receiving FM radio stations
up 80 miles away(Tampa to the north, Fort Myers to the south)? The
antenna would be mounted outside, up to 30' high. Would an
omni-directional antenna work, or should I stick with a directional?

My TV antenna is up about 55', but the amplifier has the trap on and I
can only get the strongest of the signals.

Thanks in advance, SR1
Old June 23rd 04, 05:23 PM
DJboutit

Get a APS-13 antenna best fm receive antenna kinda price though
http://www.starkelectronic.com/aps13.htm. I have read a few user reviews on
it before and everone says it is the best fm receiveing antenna they have
ever used.
For info on reviews check out this link.
http://ecoustics.audioreview.com/psc...PS-13,FM/PRD_1
21215_1596crx.aspx

Old June 23rd 04, 05:32 PM
*

directional,
a low cost Radio Shack TV at least antenna medium gain,
80 miles is over the horizon, and can be tough anyway.

Old June 23rd 04, 05:37 PM
StrikitRich

In article ,
"DJboutit" wrote:

Get a APS-13 antenna best fm receive antenna kinda price though
http://www.starkelectronic.com/aps13.htm. I have read a few user reviews on
it before and everone says it is the best fm receiveing antenna they have
ever used.
For info on reviews check out this link.
http://ecoustics.audioreview.com/psc...PS-13,FM/PRD_1
21215_1596crx.aspx

At 207" in boom length, it may be a bit of overkill for my needs. The
antenna will be fixed, which is why I was wondering about
omni-directional ones.

Old June 23rd 04, 07:28 PM
Dave Platt

Pardon me if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but hopefully
I can get an answer here.

What would be the best type of antenna for receiving FM radio stations
up 80 miles away(Tampa to the north, Fort Myers to the south)? The
antenna would be mounted outside, up to 30' high. Would an
omni-directional antenna work, or should I stick with a directional?

Stick with a directional. You'll probably need a log-periodic to
handle the full width of the FM band - a Yagi/Uda would be great for a
single frequency but probably would not have the bandwidth necessary
to do a decent job across the whole band.

My TV/FM log-periodic at about 35' does a decent job of bringing in
stations from San Francisco (about 40 miles away). 80 miles may be
pushing it.

My TV antenna is up about 55', but the amplifier has the trap on and I
can only get the strongest of the signals.

You might want to consider changing over to an amplifier which doesn't
have a trap, or whose trap can be switched on and off, and just use
your existing antenna.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old June 23rd 04, 07:45 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"StrikitRich" wrote in message
Pardon me if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but hopefully
I can get an answer here.

What would be the best type of antenna for receiving FM radio stations
up 80 miles away(Tampa to the north, Fort Myers to the south)? The
antenna would be mounted outside, up to 30' high. Would an
omni-directional antenna work, or should I stick with a directional?

My TV antenna is up about 55', but the amplifier has the trap on and I
can only get the strongest of the signals.

Thanks in advance, SR1

What do you have now? A directional antenna will not work N and S unless you
rotate it. Off the back it will be worse than a dipole. If the TV antenna is
on a rotator, it sure would be nice to get rid of the trap, unless there is
some station very close to you. Before you spend a lot of money, try a
dipole running East and West. 80 miles is beyond normal range, and probably
nothing will give you a good signal all the time.

Tam/WB2TT