Old June 23rd 04, 03:47 PM
Dan Richardson

Default Unity Gain?

From time to time an antenna manufactures will state that an antenna
has "unity gain". It is my understanding that this term is used for
describing antennas used in mobile applications and is referenced to
the gain of a quarter-wave whip.

Does anyone know of any instances where this term is used otherwise?

Old June 23rd 04, 07:29 PM
Hal Rosser

Gain loosely refers to 'better than' .
If you have an antenna with 2.5 dbd gain then it has 2.5 db gain of a
'dipole' (the last 'd' in dbd). (good).
"Unity" is another way of saying 'one'.
"Unity gain" means its no better than whatever you're comparing it to - and
no worse.
Unity gain is good if the antenna has other redeeming attributes (like
being smaller or less noticeable).
Unity gain is not good if you're expecting it to outperform the antenna
you're comparing it to.

The term 'Unity Gain' is not 'reserved' for any particular type of antenna.

"Dan Richardson @arrl.net" ChangeThisToCallSign wrote in message
From time to time an antenna manufactures will state that an antenna
has "unity gain". It is my understanding that this term is used for
describing antennas used in mobile applications and is referenced to
the gain of a quarter-wave whip.

Does anyone know of any instances where this term is used otherwise?

---

Old June 24th 04, 02:13 AM
Dale Parfitt

"Dennis Kaylor" wrote in message
. com...
in my opnion unity gain is any antenna with ZERO gain such as a dipole
or a discone

Which is it- a dipole or a discone. They do not have the same gain.

W4PO

Old June 24th 04, 02:49 AM
Harold E. Johnson

Hi Dale.

I've also seen the term mis-used by manufacturers when they mean
omnidirectional. The antenna may have performance 20 dB down from isotropic,
but they'll call it unity gain when it just has the same "gain" in all
directions.

W4ZCB

Old June 24th 04, 04:32 AM
Tim Perry

"Harold E. Johnson" wrote in message
Hi Dale.

I've also seen the term mis-used by manufacturers when they mean
omnidirectional. The antenna may have performance 20 dB down from

isotropic,
but they'll call it unity gain when it just has the same "gain" in all
directions.

W4ZCB

i thought the manufacture antenna gain specs were referenced to the
radiation from a heathkit cantenna which has been wrapped with chicken wire
then placed in a metal trash can

Old June 24th 04, 11:34 PM
jason

Hello,

Gain figures are often false and misleading - in the UK if you had told
CBers a certain aerial had 10dB gain - they would all buy one. It's just a
number plucked from the air in most cases.

From time to time an antenna manufactures will state that an antenna

Antenna tuner Matthew&Wendy Antenna 68 August 10th 04 12:32 PM
Unity Gain? Dennis Kaylor Antenna 5 June 24th 04 11:34 PM
Ten-tec vee beam Tom Coates Antenna 8 September 21st 03 12:47 AM
Reflection Coefficient Smoke Clears a Bit Dr. Slick Antenna 126 September 10th 03 04:26 PM
Hy Gain TH3 MK3 triband Beam Crazy George Antenna 0 August 26th 03 04:34 AM