Old December 16th 13, 08:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Turning a 1/4 wave vertical upside down

On 12/2/2013 12:39 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Comcast is now all digital in the People's Republic of Santa Cruz CA.

I got my cable bill a few days ago, noted it had increased $10.00.
Told the wife, she said ya, after Nov. the reduction I got last Nov.
expired. She went in, made her yearly complaint, but this time she
got a $20.00 discount! The bill dropped from $123.54 to $103.xx.
(Cable, phone and internet)
$240 a year, I think I'll taker her out for an ice cream cone. :-)
Mikek
Old December 17th 13, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 14:27:17 -0600, amdx wrote:

On 12/2/2013 12:39 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Comcast is now all digital in the People's Republic of Santa Cruz CA.

I got my cable bill a few days ago, noted it had increased $10.00.
Told the wife, she said ya, after Nov. the reduction I got last Nov.
expired. She went in, made her yearly complaint, but this time she
got a $20.00 discount! The bill dropped from $123.54 to $103.xx.
(Cable, phone and internet)
$240 a year, I think I'll taker her out for an ice cream cone. :-)
Mikek

Nice, but you can do better than giving her just an ice cream cone.

Do I get an ice cream cone if I suggest you drop the cable TV and
phone, and leave the internet. Then, switch to a VoIP provider and
watch IPTV via Netflix and such? My guess price is:
Comcast internet $50/month for first 12 months
Comcast internet $80/month after first 12 months
Future-Nine America Free $13.50/month
Netflix $8/month
Roku 3 media player $90
SIP phone (SPA941) $80
Send the ice cream to the address below.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old December 17th 13, 02:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 12/16/2013 9:58 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

I like my Foxnews network, otherwise dropping cable would
be easier. I did a short search of IPTV and only found Kansas
has googlefiber with a managed IPTV service. I'm not sure what
that all means, but the little reasearch I did, I don't think I could
have Foxnews on IPTV via Netflix, yet.
As I've said before, my kids got Netflix and never concerned
themselves with cable.
Mikek
PS. I'm mulling over the logistics of sending an ice cream cone from Fl.
to Ca. :-)
Old December 17th 13, 03:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 12/17/2013 9:28 AM, amdx wrote:
[...]

Other problems with Netflix include lack of live sports and limited
local channels. Some of these are available via the internet (for a
price, of course, which must also be factored in). But some, like major
league baseball, are blacked out on the internet if you're in their
local area; i.e. we can't get either the Baltimore Orioles or Washington
Nationals via the internet here in the Washington, DC area.

Sure, you could use a proxy somewhere else, but that's against their TOS
and if you're caught they will cancel your account with no refund.

Additionally, VOIP has had problems in the past, but is getting better.
Commercial grade VOIP is pretty solid, but costs more. Consumer grade
is more prone to dropped calls and dropouts, but is getting a lot
better. Also, the cheaper services are more prone to problems than the
more expensive ones. And some phones will not allow more than one
extension to be active concurrently (i.e. you can't have two people on
the phone on your end talking to someone else).

Just some things to check for if they are important to you.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old December 17th 13, 04:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 08:28:16 -0600, amdx wrote:

I like my Foxnews network, otherwise dropping cable would
be easier.

When you buy a Roku or similar screaming media player, you get a mess
of "channels" with it. All they do is point to sources of streaming
media all over the internet. FoxNoise is one of those:
http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/2946/fox-news-channel

I did a short search of IPTV and only found Kansas
has googlefiber with a managed IPTV service. I'm not sure what
that all means, but the little reasearch I did, I don't think I could
have Foxnews on IPTV via Netflix, yet.

IPTV simply means watching television over something that spits
internet protocol packets. For example, I watch TV over a rather
slothish 1.5Mbit/sec DSL line. Netflix and some others adjust their
compression and speed to match the line speed, so they work just fine.
Other's just belch at higher rates resulting in the dreaded
"buffering" delays. Still others insist on downloading short clips
(about 5 min) into the media player buffer, before playing. IPTV is
far from a perfect replacement for cable or satellite TV, but it's
getting better.

A few more details...

If you're into playing recorded videos, look into setting up a Plex
media server:
http://www.plexapp.com

Netflix does not do local programming. So, if you want that, setup an
outside TV antenna and watch OTA (over the air) TV.

To me, the real benefit of watching Netflix over cable or satellite TV
is the lack of commercials.

As I've said before, my kids got Netflix and never concerned
themselves with cable.

Good. The kids can set it up for you.

Mikek
PS. I'm mulling over the logistics of sending an ice cream cone from Fl.
to Ca. :-)

A gift certificate from the local dispensary will suffice:
http://www.lovemariannes.com
I'm partial to (dark) chocolate chip.

Old December 18th 13, 02:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 12/17/2013 10:29 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

I was hoping you wouldn't think of a gift certificate! ;-)

btw, is Sam a relative?
Mikek
Old December 18th 13, 03:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 20:51:07 -0600, amdx wrote:

Mikek
PS. I'm mulling over the logistics of sending an ice cream cone from Fl.
to Ca. :-)

A gift certificate from the local dispensary will suffice:
http://www.lovemariannes.com
I'm partial to (dark) chocolate chip.

I was hoping you wouldn't think of a gift certificate! ;-)

No problem. I accept bribes, gratuities, certificates of depost, and
letters of credit, for most any form of monetary exchange. Cash is
also acceptable, but specie (gold) is much better.

Was it you or someone else that wanted an HP8555a plugin? I can't
seem to find the relevent posting.

btw, is Sam a relative?

No, but we shared the same cardiologist and hospitals, which
ocassionally mixed our appointments, records, insurance claims, blood
tests, etc. We also ended up with each others USPS mail. Marianne's
Ice Cream is only about a 5 minute walk from my palatial office, which
requires some self control to not over-indulge too often.

Unfortunately, Sam Lieberman died last month. He'll be missed:
http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/food/ci_24656886/samuel-lieberman-iconic-santa-cruz-ice-cream-maker