Old December 10th 13, 05:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Well, you know what they say . . .

What's that adage about "If your antenna survives an ice storm and a
hurricane, it's not big enough and not tall enough?"

It wasn't an ice storm . . . not even really high winds.

I'm where the Potomac river joins the Chesapeake Bay . . . stand on my
front porch, look straight ahead across the Potomac to Maryland; 45
deg right look out over the Bay.

We get ferocious winter winds off the Bay . . . . 50 MPH steady with
gusts to 70-75MPH 2-3 times each winter.

But . . . . last few days have been fairly steady balmy breezes . . .
10 MPH steady, gusts to 20 MPH; 35 - 45 deg, wind chill lower; rain,
no ice.

YET . . . . my TH7DX at 55 feet came down . . . looks as though the
boom snapped near where it connects to the mast . . . goddam awful
pile of twisted aluminum; tower is standing tall. Antenna is 20 or
more years old, been moved several times. Funny thing is, the ancient
Telrex 3-el 40-meter beam is standing tall at 70 feet . . . it's so
damn old, I don't even remember the model number, have lost the
paperwork on it, have patched it a time or two (may be 40M329).

Too bad Telrex left the ham market decades ago.

- - - - - - - - -

When dealing with conservatives,
remember:
Even duct tape can't fix stupid.

But is does muffle the sound.

Old December 10th 13, 05:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names" wrote in message

[...]

**************

Bummer. Hope you get everything replaced without too much $ involved.

Wayne
W5GIE

Old December 11th 13, 05:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names" wrote in message

snip

my TH7DX at 55 feet came down . . . looks as though the
boom snapped near where it connects to the mast . . .

snip

When dealing with conservatives,
remember:
Even duct tape can't fix stupid.

But is does muffle the sound.

At first, I felt bad for you. Upon reading your squirt of political
diarrhea, I stopped caring.

"Sal"

Old December 11th 13, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 21:56:12 -0800, "Sal" salmonella@food
poisoning.org wrote:

"Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names" wrote in message
.. .

snip

my TH7DX at 55 feet came down . . . looks as though the
boom snapped near where it connects to the mast . . .

snip

When dealing with conservatives,
remember:
Even duct tape can't fix stupid.

But is does muffle the sound.

At first, I felt bad for you. Upon reading your squirt of political
diarrhea, I stopped caring.

"Sal"

Truth hurts.

Old December 12th 13, 04:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

poisoning.org wrote:

"Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names" wrote in message

snip

my TH7DX at 55 feet came down . . . looks as though the
boom snapped near where it connects to the mast . . .

snip

When dealing with conservatives,
remember:
Even duct tape can't fix stupid.

But is does muffle the sound.

At first, I felt bad for you. Upon reading your squirt of political
diarrhea, I stopped caring.

"Sal"

Truth hurts.

Yup, the "truth" hurts you - in a big way.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address