Old August 10th 03, 03:34 AM
Ralph Mowery

Are squirrels edible ?

Yes they are. Many have hunted them to eat. There are times of the year
that you do not want to eat them as they could have parasites in them. As
the temperature turns cold they are fine to eat.

Deer are thought of as varmints the same as rats are to some farmers when
they eat their corn fields. Permits can be had to shoot them any time of
year (out of the normal hunting season ) if they become a nuisance.

Too many of any animal in the wrong area is bad and they must be eliminated
by killing or moving.

Old August 10th 03, 03:45 AM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Now I do wanna tell ya, you jest ain't lived til you all had Squirrel Stew.

And that thar be why we got them Squirrel Terrers Dawgs down yonder.
================
Are squirrels edible ?

Old August 10th 03, 03:55 AM
Ed Senior

Well, you sure started something, Stuart.
Alas, it doesn't look like much of it would be
very useful to you.

As for your responders who propose eating
squirrels, one has to accept it, I suppose.
Predation of larger animals on smaller animals
is part of nature's plan, like it or not.

But as for the folks who say they like to kill or
torture animals just for enjoyment, I hope they
are merely trying to be funny--in a bad taste way.

If they are serious, my revised hope is that they get
to meet some of their victims again--accompanied
by much larger friends from the animal kingdom--
at some point in the afterlife.

But this is probably a faint hope, even if there is
an afterlife. Most of the animals would be going
UP, and most sadistic animal-abusers would be
going DOWN. So their paths wouldn't cross.

"Stuart" wrote in message
.. .
Antenna Group~

The squirrels here the my neighborhood have suddenly decided they like to
eat my coax and control cables. They seem to be particularly attracted to
the self-vulcanizing rubber used to seal the connections but they have

eaten
some coax cables as well. Anyone know of a cure for this problem?

Thanks

Stuart, ki6qp

Old August 10th 03, 04:06 AM
CW

Yes.
"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
Are squirrels edible ?

Old August 10th 03, 05:02 AM
MailfrmPA

Too many of any animal in the wrong area is bad and they must be eliminated
by killing or moving.

Kinda like candidates for governor in California!

Old August 10th 03, 05:40 AM
Tdonaly

Reg Edwards wrote:
Are squirrels edible ?

In Texas, we have a legal squirrel hunting season. They are not
bad eatin' around a campfire after a day of clearing land.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

By God, that's why you Texans are so squirrely!
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old August 10th 03, 12:39 PM
Reg Edwards

Doc wrote -
Next, visit your local hardware store and buy a 4 oz. ball-pean
hammer. (Light ones are for squirrels and such, the heavier
ones are for bigger game.) Now, when you have one of the little
buggers caught, beat it to death with the hammer.

==============================

Doc, tough little buggers, eh? I didn't realise squirrel meat needs
tenderising.

Old August 10th 03, 01:29 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

"W5DXP" wrote in message
Reg Edwards wrote:
Are squirrels edible ?

In Texas, we have a legal squirrel hunting season. They are not
bad eatin' around a campfire after a day of clearing land.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

You guys are lucky my XYL isn't watching this thread ... she is
a biologist, licensed by the PA State Game Commission as a
wildlife rehabilitator (she's currently raising ... for release ... about
a dozen orphaned baby squirrels ... probably does about 60 or
more each season, in addition to rehabbing maybe 2 dozen or
more injured adults.)

We have 12 acres of forest here, with squirrels, rabbits, possums,
several dozen wild turkeys, groundhogs, deer, fox, quail, and some
pheasants ... if I shot a single one, she'd shoot me (or worse :-)

Luckily, so far at least, no evidence of the local critter population
developing a taste for coax :-)

Carl - wk3c

Old August 10th 03, 02:29 PM
WB3FUP \(Mike Hall\)

Take a trip though Fairmont Park in Philly. Nothing green below 4 of 5
foot. Overpopulation is as much a problem as over hunting, a potentially
more serious to humans as diseased animals die..

--
73 es cul

wb3fup
a Salty Bear