Old August 10th 03, 04:45 PM
Brian Kelly

"Stuart" wrote in message ...
Antenna Group~

The squirrels here the my neighborhood have suddenly decided they like to
eat my coax and control cables. They seem to be particularly attracted to
the self-vulcanizing rubber used to seal the connections but they have eaten
some coax cables as well. Anyone know of a cure for this problem?

You can "protect" your coax & control cables with an autoloading 105mm
howitzer but for every one of the little beasts you terminate two more
take it's place within minutes. Killing and/or trapping them is simply
an exercise in futility. I see two choices: Squirrels have strong
alergic reactions to cats. Big nasty young female cats preferably from
feral stock. And don't feed 'em too much. There's one possibility.

The other is to use coax and control cables which have
rodent-repelling jackets and sealants which tree rats don't like. For
the coax see

http://www.davisrf.com/ham1/coax.htm#buryflex

There are probably control cables with the same general type jackets.
Maybe tree rats don't like silicon sealants, I dunno. Check out

http://www.thewireman.com/products.html

No doubt both Steve at RF Davis and Pres at the Wireman have handled
the problem many times, give 'em a buzz, it's only phone calls, save
yourself from the goo and ammo expenses.

Thanks

Stuart, ki6qp

w3rv
Old August 10th 03, 06:07 PM
H. Adam Stevens

I live on a hill in the country where one can still practice ham radio
without interference from civilization. I used to see quite a few squirrels.
Although a12 gauge shotgun is instantaneously effective, the little buggers
breed like rats, er, squirrels. Since a feral cat I call Max (Short for
Hiram Percy Maxim, since he likes to nap on the S-Line.) has moved in, no
squirrels, skunks, raccoons, snakes, etc. Except for wild dogs, which I
shoot on sight, usually with a Weatherby 7mm08, with Max's approval, I might
add.
I vote for the cat option.
73
H.
NQ5H

"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
om...

Old August 10th 03, 08:10 PM
J. McLaughlin

Dear Ed:
On my farm, varmints are shot on sight. There is no component of
hunting or enjoyment or torture. It is a matter of stopping theft and
the real danger that their holes present to livestock, humans, and even
farm machinery. (I have a nasty scar on my shin due to a plunge into a
woodchuck hole.) They also pose a danger to drainage systems.
I have never shot at a squirrel. They are very rare here and just
not a problem. Woodchucks and deer are the major problems. Deer cause
hundreds of accidents, some quite serious, per year in this county
alone.
Someone who took delight in torturing anything would be a pariah in
this most rural and tolerant township. That is just not on.
..... and back to antennas
73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin - Michigan USA
Home:

"Ed Senior"
snip

But as for the folks who say they like to kill or
torture animals just for enjoyment, I hope they
are merely trying to be funny--in a bad taste way.

If they are serious, my revised hope is that they get
to meet some of their victims again--accompanied
by much larger friends from the animal kingdom--
at some point in the afterlife.

Old August 10th 03, 09:50 PM
Ken

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 16:23:10 GMT, "Stuart"
wrote:
Anyone know of a cure for this problem?

As the squirrel population in my neighborhood went up, they started
chewing their way through my attic wall to nest and play. No
repellents -- chemical or ultrasound -- worked.

I can not legally use a gun of any kind in this neighborhood.
Besides, who has the time to sit around and wait for them?

I finally started to catch them on the ground in Hav-a-Hart traps
baited with peanut butter, driving each one around a mile away (across
two major roads) and releasing them into the woods. I transported
almost 30 of them over a two week period. The populaiton on my
property is way down and I rarely see one anymore. I would
guesstimate that I get maybe one new one a month from neighboring
properties. He quickly joins his friends a mile away. There have been
no chew-ins for over six months.

My property is also traversed by rabbits, chipmunks, moles and rats
but none of them seem interested in the peanut butter -- which is good
because they do no harm.

If it doesn't bother you, you can immerse the traps in a garbage can
filled with water (must secure the locking bails first) and save the
two mile (R/T) drive.

Ken C2JDY

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)
Old August 11th 03, 12:18 AM
Brian Kelly

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message ...
Doc wrote -
Next, visit your local hardware store and buy a 4 oz. ball-pean
hammer. (Light ones are for squirrels and such, the heavier
ones are for bigger game.) Now, when you have one of the little
buggers caught, beat it to death with the hammer.

==============================

Doc, tough little buggers, eh? I didn't realise squirrel meat needs
tenderising.

It's not tough normally, especially if they were roadkills and have
been out in the weather for a couple days.

w3rv

Old August 11th 03, 12:39 AM
Dan/W4NTI

No Ed Senior I am not kidding. If your stray dog comes on my property and
chews up my yard, kills my cat, and attacks the neighborhood kid...Ill
shoot the SOB. IF I could get away with it in this populated area I would
have used te shotgun.
Oh BTW I did indeed try to get the 'humane fools' to come out. THey were
not even slightly interested.

Dan/W4NTI

"Ed Senior" wrote in message
ink.net...
I hope you're joking, Dan, and that you'd really try to get a
stray dog to your local rescue group or Humane Society.

But if you're NOT joking, I would just advise you not to
try shooting dogs in our neck of the woods.

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message

"oldtime radio" wrote in message
pellet gun

I can guarantee a pellet rifle works wonders. Does good with stray

mutts
too.

Dan/W4NTI

Old August 11th 03, 12:40 AM
Dan/W4NTI

Yes they are.

Dan/W4NTI
"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
Are squirrels edible ?

Old August 11th 03, 12:41 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Tdonaly" wrote in message

Reg Edwards wrote:
Are squirrels edible ?

In Texas, we have a legal squirrel hunting season. They are not
bad eatin' around a campfire after a day of clearing land.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

By God, that's why you Texans are so squirrely!
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

By Gawd at least they ain't dumb enough to live on a earthquake fault.

Dan/W4NTI

Old August 11th 03, 12:44 AM
Brian Kelly

"H. Adam Stevens" wrote in message ...
I live on a hill in the country where one can still practice ham radio
without interference from civilization. I used to see quite a few squirrels.
Although a12 gauge shotgun is instantaneously effective, the little buggers
breed like rats, er, squirrels. Since a feral cat I call Max (Short for
Hiram Percy Maxim, since he likes to nap on the S-Line.) has moved in, no
squirrels, skunks, raccoons, snakes, etc.

Doesn't sound like a Grade A feral cat but if he does the job . .

I had a buddy long since an SK who lived on a mountain top in an old
hunting lodge turned big multi-multi DX contest station on contest
weekends. He had a huge bobcat which lived in a hollow log about 50
yards from the lodge, the feral cat and coax security guard from hell.
The first time I heard the thing "meow" he near scared me outta me
skivvies.

Except for wild dogs, which I
shoot on sight, usually with a Weatherby 7mm08,

I see. What do you use when you need real firepower, a Weatherby .460
Mag?

with Max's approval, I might
add.
I vote for the cat option.