RadioBanter

-   -   antenna theory made easy (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/200780-re-antenna-theory-made-easy.html)

W5DXP January 27th 14 01:08 PM

antenna theory made easy

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 10:21:01 PM UTC-6, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
And yes, the title is about antennas. But you're replying to messages
about verticals.

Nope, please learn to read. Here's your posting to which I replied:

So? Even at 50 ohms, 1KW is a lot of voltage.

There's no mention of vertical antennas - just a broad sweeping assertion that "1KW (sic) is a lot of voltage". BTW, is that potassium watts, Kelvin watts, or the kinetic energy in 1kW? Hint: 'K' is not the correct prefix for kilo.

Now back to the subject of my original posting: IMHO, 1kW into 50 ohms is not a lot of voltage since I have more voltage than that in my house. FYI, 50 ohms is considered to be one of the lower resistances which ohm's law says results in a lower voltage that if it were a higher resistance.

If 1kW is a "lot of voltage" at 50 ohms, how low must the resistance go for it not to be a "lot of voltage"?

A resonant 1/4WL monopole with a good ground plane has a resonant feedpoint impedance around 35 ohms which at 1kW results in only 187 volts at the feedpoint. How anyone could consider 187 volts to be "a lot of voltage" stretches the imagination.

If you really want to talk about "a lot of voltage", talk about the voltage that exists at the tip top of that 35 ohm 1/4WL monopole when only 187 volts is being applied at the base feedpoint. I get more than 10,000 volts. Now that's indeed a lot of voltage.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Jerry Stuckle January 27th 14 01:50 PM

antenna theory made easy

On 1/27/2014 8:08 AM, W5DXP wrote:
On Sunday, January 26, 2014 10:21:01 PM UTC-6, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
And yes, the title is about antennas. But you're replying to messages
about verticals.

Nope, please learn to read. Here's your posting to which I replied:

So? Even at 50 ohms, 1KW is a lot of voltage.

There's no mention of vertical antennas - just a broad sweeping assertion that "1KW (sic) is a lot of voltage". BTW, is that potassium watts, Kelvin watts, or the kinetic energy in 1kW? Hint: 'K' is not the correct prefix for kilo.

You haven't been reading, have you? Look back at what the post was
referring to.

Now back to the subject of my original posting: IMHO, 1kW into 50 ohms is not a lot of voltage since I have more voltage than that in my house. FYI, 50 ohms is considered to be one of the lower resistances which ohm's law says results in a lower voltage that if it were a higher resistance.

It is definitely sufficient to fry someone (literally, since RF burns
from the bone out).

And tell the electric companies, broadcasters and the rest of the world
they shouldn't use 'K' for Kilo. Or are you just trolling, also?

If 1kW is a "lot of voltage" at 50 ohms, how low must the resistance go for it not to be a "lot of voltage"?

You tell me. You claim to know so much, then you know the formulae.
And you're the one who claims it's "not a lot of voltage".

A resonant 1/4WL monopole with a good ground plane has a resonant feedpoint impedance around 35 ohms which at 1kW results in only 187 volts at the feedpoint. How anyone could consider 187 volts to be "a lot of voltage" stretches the imagination.

Gee, 117V is quite enough to electrocute someone. But I guess that's
"not a lot of voltage", either.

If you really want to talk about "a lot of voltage", talk about the voltage that exists at the tip top of that 35 ohm 1/4WL monopole when only 187 volts is being applied at the base feedpoint. I get more than 10,000 volts. Now that's indeed a lot of voltage.

Who cares about the voltage at the top of a 20 meter tower? It's out of
reach, anyway.

But that's all immaterial, since when you're at the top of that tower,
you're isolated from any ground potential. Have you ever climbed a live
base-fed AM broadcast tower? I have, when I was young and did tower
work for a living. It was only a 5KW station, but even when I was at
the top I didn't feel anything.

You still didn't tell me if you were over 90 years old or not. So much
about your diaper claim!

And BTW - I might still have my old Ramo and Whinnery's "Fields and
Waves in Communication Electronics". I hope so, anyway. It was a first
edition, fresh off the press. Even though I marked it up a bit, I'll
bet it's worth something now.

And BTW - your sig separator is broken. It should be *exactly*
hyphen-hyphen-space-newline. You are missing the required space.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================

W5DXP January 27th 14 02:32 PM

antenna theory made easy

On Monday, January 27, 2014 7:50:56 AM UTC-6, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
Or are you just trolling, also?

Jerry, you are probably the only person who didn't comprehend that I've been pulling your leg by treating you as shabbily as you treat others.:)
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Ralph Mowery January 27th 14 03:21 PM

antenna theory made easy

"W5DXP" wrote in message
A resonant 1/4WL monopole with a good ground plane has a resonant
feedpoint impedance around 35 ohms which at 1kW results in only 187 volts
at the feedpoint. How anyone could consider 187 volts to be "a lot of
voltage" stretches the imagination.

If you really want to talk about "a lot of voltage", talk about the
voltage that exists at the tip top of that 35 ohm 1/4WL monopole when only
187 volts is being applied at the base feedpoint. I get more than 10,000
volts. Now that's indeed a lot of voltage.

--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

I am not sure what a lot of voltage is. There are many differant voltages
called high voltage. Some statt at 600 volts and some at 35,000 volts.

I think that any voltage that can cause heart problems or that you can not
hold on to without feeling a shock would be a lot of voltage.

The antenna you mentioned at 'only 187' volts would seem to me to be a lot
of voltage in the case of a dog peeing on an antenna. Sick you finger in a
light socket and see how long you can hold it there at 'only 120' volts.
Bet you say that is a lot of voltage.

As we all know it is not the voltage,but the current that causes problems.
Therefor in the above I will assume the voltage source has several amps of
current avaliable.

---

Jerry Stuckle January 27th 14 03:32 PM

antenna theory made easy

On 1/27/2014 9:32 AM, W5DXP wrote:
On Monday, January 27, 2014 7:50:56 AM UTC-6, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
Or are you just trolling, also?

Jerry, you are probably the only person who didn't comprehend that I've been pulling your leg by treating you as shabbily as you treat others.:)
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

I treat respectful people with respect. I treat trolls like they deserve.

You're just trolling - and now trying to squirm out of it.

Plus you obviously can't read. At least i stay on topic.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================

W5DXP January 27th 14 08:51 PM

antenna theory made easy

On Monday, January 27, 2014 9:32:02 AM UTC-6, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
You're just trolling - and now trying to squirm out of it.

I'm not trying to squirm out of it and freely admit that I was mimicking and mirroring your immature, abrasive posting style right back at you. If you want to call that trolling, feel free, but that's your normal style, not mine.

Plus you obviously can't read. At least i stay on topic.

Again, the topic was and is: "antenna theory made easy". Exactly how are you going to bully everyone into discussing nothing but what you dictate should be discussed?
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] January 27th 14 09:10 PM

antenna theory made easy

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 10:32:02 -0500, Jerry Stuckle
wrote:

I treat respectful people with respect. I treat trolls like they deserve.

Please name one person in this discussion who believes that you have
treated them with respect.

You're just trolling - and now trying to squirm out of it.

Please name one person in this discussion whom you haven't accused of
trolling. Extra credit for naming someone with whom you had
previously agreed with their point of view.

Plus you obviously can't read. At least i stay on topic.

Good point. Have any of your comments benefited Irv (VE6BP) in any
way that would help him built a proper antenna for his limited
available space?

As an added incentive, if you can name ANY one of these people, I
promise to stop asking you for the maker and model number of your
professional only F-connector.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Jerry Stuckle January 27th 14 09:54 PM

antenna theory made easy

On 1/27/2014 3:51 PM, W5DXP wrote:
On Monday, January 27, 2014 9:32:02 AM UTC-6, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
You're just trolling - and now trying to squirm out of it.

I'm not trying to squirm out of it and freely admit that I was mimicking and mirroring your immature, abrasive posting style right back at you. If you want to call that trolling, feel free, but that's your normal style, not mine.

Plus you obviously can't read. At least i stay on topic.

Again, the topic was and is: "antenna theory made easy". Exactly how are you going to bully everyone into discussing nothing but what you dictate should be discussed?
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

No, this part of the thread was about verticals. But you can't seem to
understand that. Not surprising.

--
==================

Jerry Stuckle January 27th 14 09:56 PM

antenna theory made easy

wrote:

I treat respectful people with respect. I treat trolls like they deserve.

Please name one person in this discussion who believes that you have
treated them with respect.

The OP, for one.

You're just trolling - and now trying to squirm out of it.

Please name one person in this discussion whom you haven't accused of
trolling. Extra credit for naming someone with whom you had
previously agreed with their point of view.

The OP, for one.

Plus you obviously can't read. At least i stay on topic.

Good point. Have any of your comments benefited Irv (VE6BP) in any
way that would help him built a proper antenna for his limited
available space?

Right after he posted I commented on it. But I guess you can't read
that, either.

As an added incentive, if you can name ANY one of these people, I
promise to stop asking you for the maker and model number of your
professional only F-connector.

I don't go out of my way for trolls. And you obviously are the worst
I've seen her.

--

W5DXP January 28th 14 12:19 AM

antenna theory made easy

On Monday, January 27, 2014 3:54:28 PM UTC-6, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
No, this part of the thread was about verticals.

You don't seem to be capable of comprehending that "antenna theory made easy" is NOT only about verticals. I wasn't engaging in "this" part about verticals. I was engaging in "that" part of the thread that was about the feedpoint voltage of antennas in general.

Are you actually trying to bully your way into control of the content of threads on an unmoderated newsgroup? Many have tried but none have succeeded.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com