Old February 14th 14, 10:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default RV/Mobilehome RF gnd systems.

Does anyone have any novel ideas for RF grounds to use with an
RV/Mobilehome.

The antenna is vertical whip most times, about 7m. It is a modified fishing
pole with a wire up the centre and a 1m detachable whip. A 4mm ' banana'
plug is the feed point for a flying lead to the Auto -tuner, one of the SGC
range.

I generally use a counterpoise, or several, but having these laying around
campsites where non- amateurs may trip etc. concerns me.

The setup is only used when parked up.

I'm looking for 'out of the box' ideas, I can fit in a camping 'pitch' and
setup /tear down quickly.

--
73
Brian
Old February 14th 14, 10:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
Does anyone have any novel ideas for RF grounds to use with an
RV/Mobilehome.
The antenna is vertical whip most times, about 7m. It is a modified
fishing
pole with a wire up the centre and a 1m detachable whip. A 4mm ' banana'
plug is the feed point for a flying lead to the Auto -tuner, one of the
SGC
range.
I generally use a counterpoise, or several, but having these laying around
campsites where non- amateurs may trip etc. concerns me.
The setup is only used when parked up.
I'm looking for 'out of the box' ideas, I can fit in a camping 'pitch' and
setup /tear down quickly.

"if you understand the theory and maths and can do the calculations.
Easy enough for someone who knows his stuff."

Old February 14th 14, 12:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Friday, February 14, 2014 4:08:58 AM UTC-6, Brian Reay wrote:
Does anyone have any novel ideas for RF grounds to use with an
RV/Mobilehome.

Why not use the vehicle for the counterpoise like mobile antennas do?
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com
Old February 14th 14, 12:20 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"W5DXP" wrote in message
On Friday, February 14, 2014 4:08:58 AM UTC-6, Brian Reay wrote:
Does anyone have any novel ideas for RF grounds to use with an
RV/Mobilehome.

Why not use the vehicle for the counterpoise like mobile antennas do?

That is the blindingly obvious answer, especially with a vehicle as large
as a motorhome.

Old February 14th 14, 01:13 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 12:20:08 -0000, "gareth"
wrote:

"W5DXP" wrote in message
On Friday, February 14, 2014 4:08:58 AM UTC-6, Brian Reay wrote:
Does anyone have any novel ideas for RF grounds to use with an
RV/Mobilehome.

Why not use the vehicle for the counterpoise like mobile antennas do?

That is the blindingly obvious answer, especially with a vehicle as large
as a motorhome.

Wrap it in tinfoil..simple!

Old February 14th 14, 02:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

W5DXP wrote:
On Friday, February 14, 2014 4:08:58 AM UTC-6, Brian Reay wrote:
Does anyone have any novel ideas for RF grounds to use with an
RV/Mobilehome.

Why not use the vehicle for the counterpoise like mobile antennas do?
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Sorry, I should have said, the antenna is not mounted on the vehicle. I use
a small tripod. Running one coax shortish coax with a power lead taped to
it is fine but a long , or several long, counter poises are what concern
me.

73, Brian
Old February 14th 14, 04:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
W5DXP wrote:
On Friday, February 14, 2014 4:08:58 AM UTC-6, Brian Reay wrote:
Does anyone have any novel ideas for RF grounds to use with an
RV/Mobilehome.

Why not use the vehicle for the counterpoise like mobile antennas do?
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Sorry, I should have said, the antenna is not mounted on the vehicle. I
use
a small tripod. Running one coax shortish coax with a power lead taped to
it is fine but a long , or several long, counter poises are what concern
me.

Then run a "shortish" earth braid from the vehicle's chassis to the antenna.

It really is not rocket science.

Old February 14th 14, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 10:08:58 +0000 (UTC), Brian Reay
wrote:

I'm looking for 'out of the box' ideas, I can fit in a camping 'pitch' and
setup /tear down quickly.

Ok, I won't mention the standard solutions, such as grounding it to
your motor home, elevated ground systems, or giving up on the vertical
(which needs a ground to act as a counterpoise) and installing a
horizontal dipole, which doesn't need the ground.

For out of the box ideas, I suggest you try

1. Attach a ground wire to a tennis ball. Flush the ball down the
toilet and into the sewer hookup. Eventually, it will hit the
campground septic tank, which will make an excellent ground.

2. Find a roll of welded wire fencing. Notice that I said welded,
not galvanized or twisted. Roll out the fence wire onto your campsite
and park you mobile home on top of it. You now have a ground.

3. Dump some water on the ground around the campsite. As long as
it's wet, it will conduct, and you have a ground.

4. Do your camping in a swamp or over quicksand. Just push a ground
rod into the wet ground and you're done. Be sure to equip your mobile
home with pontoons, or you may have that sinking feeling.

5. The problem with using the a mobile home as a ground is the
insulating tires. What you need is a way to connect the aluminum
camper to the ground directly. Most mobile homes have leveling jacks.
Instead of the usual 4 jacks, install several dozen jacks, some of
which have sharp points that push into the ground. That should take
care of the insulating tires.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old February 14th 14, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 09:15:30 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

1. Attach a ground wire to a tennis ball. Flush the ball down the
toilet and into the sewer hookup. Eventually, it will hit the
campground septic tank, which will make an excellent ground.

Ooops. That will only work for a concrete septic tank. If the tank
is insulated fiberglass, there may be problems. Check with the
trailer park as to which type of septic tank they have.

Old February 14th 14, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

I'm looking for 'out of the box' ideas, I can fit in a camping 'pitch' and
setup /tear down quickly.

Ok, I won't mention the standard solutions, such as grounding it to
your motor home, elevated ground systems, or giving up on the vertical
(which needs a ground to act as a counterpoise) and installing a
horizontal dipole, which doesn't need the ground.

The reason I use a vertical is it avoids the need for supports, European
pitches tend to be small and running a dipole over an adjoining pitch may
be an issue.

For out of the box ideas, I suggest you try

1. Attach a ground wire to a tennis ball. Flush the ball down the
toilet and into the sewer hookup. Eventually, it will hit the
campground septic tank, which will make an excellent ground.

In Europe, the toilets are not on the pitch.

2. Find a roll of welded wire fencing. Notice that I said welded,
not galvanized or twisted. Roll out the fence wire onto your campsite
and park you mobile home on top of it. You now have a ground.

That I like.

3. Dump some water on the ground around the campsite. As long as
it's wet, it will conduct, and you have a ground.

4. Do your camping in a swamp or over quicksand. Just push a ground
rod into the wet ground and you're done. Be sure to equip your mobile
home with pontoons, or you may have that sinking feeling.

Neither will make a huge difference to the RF gnd. properties compared to
'normal' dirt. You need to be in sea water for that and my XYL isn't keen
on boats.

5. The problem with using the a mobile home as a ground is the
insulating tires. What you need is a way to connect the aluminum
camper to the ground directly. Most mobile homes have leveling jacks.
Instead of the usual 4 jacks, install several dozen jacks, some of
which have sharp points that push into the ground. That should take
care of the insulating tires.

The other issue is, with the antenna mounted near the real ground, you will
have a huge lump of grounded metal in the near field. Far from a good idea.

Thank you for the input.

73
Brian
G8OSN/W8OSN
www.g8osn.net

RF Systems MTA. m II Shortwave 33 July 12th 08 10:28 PM
RF Systems MTA. Brian Denley Shortwave 0 July 9th 08 12:14 AM
RF Systems MTA. RHF Shortwave 0 July 7th 08 07:57 PM
RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II [email protected] Shortwave 6 June 10th 07 07:17 PM
RF Systems MTA Larry Echols Shortwave 0 October 1st 03 02:50 AM