Old July 2nd 04, 03:17 PM
'Doc

Franj,
Can it be done? Yes. Will it be the 'best' of antennas
on all those bands? No. But, if that's all that you can
do, then do it. Anything is 'better' than nothing! Beware
of antenna manufacturor's claims. Taxes are never going down,
and there's no 'miracle' antennas that do everything...
'Doc
Old July 2nd 04, 03:17 PM
Dave

don't worry about it... cut it any length you can and use a tuner... it will
work all bands from 160m to 6m and probably higher. don't count inches, GET
ON THE AIR and have fun!

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

"Bob Miller" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 07:42:24 +0200, /* frank */
wrote:

I can install only a dipole of about 10 meters
(as inverted V).

Is there any project, any commercial antenna
of such length, that allow me to work all band
7 - 14 - 21 - 28 MHz ?

Thanks

If you can make it 11 meters long, about 33 feet, that should get you
14 thru 28 mhz, with the use of 450 ohm feedline and a manual tuner.
If you can stretch it to 51 feet, you can add 10 and 7 mhz.

bob
k5qwg

10 meters = 32.8 feet
11 meters = 36.1 feet

A meter is approximately 3 feet and 3 inches NOT just 3 feet. Those

inches
add up after a while.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 2nd 04, 05:29 PM
Reg Edwards

Is there any project, any commercial antenna
of such length, that allow me to work all band
7 - 14 - 21 - 28 MHz ?

===========================

All dipoles of any reasonable length, inverted-V or not, commercial or home
brew, are quite efficient on all HF bands in that they all radiate most of
the power which is put into them. The problems lie in loss in the
transmission line and the essential tuner.

Erect the highest and longest dipole you can, feed it with open-wire line,
use a tuner appropriate for each band of interest and you won't be
disappointed.

Or better still, if you can manage it, erect the longest inverted-L you can
and feed it at one end tuned against a modest ground system such as a dozen
bent surface or shallow-buried radials.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old July 2nd 04, 07:23 PM
/* frank */

Bob Miller ha scritto:

with the use of 450 ohm feedline and a manual tuner.

Where I can purchase this kind of line ?
(some online mall that delivery outside USA/Canada),
because I can't find it here in Italy.

Thanks again
Best 73

Old July 2nd 04, 07:59 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Dave" wrote in message
don't worry about it... cut it any length you can and use a tuner... it

will
work all bands from 160m to 6m and probably higher. don't count inches,

GET
ON THE AIR and have fun!

I agree that he should just get on the air. But those inaccurate conversions
although only inches result in feet in antenna dimensions and is not
insignificant. If one wants to get into resonant antennas, it becomes
particularly important. Even at 10 meters, the difference is 2.5 feet for a
full wave length antenna between using a conversion of 3 feet per meter
versus 3.25 feet (3 feet 3 inches) per meter. For a half wave dipole it
would be 1.25 feet. At 160 meters the difference climbs to 40 feet for a
full wave loop and 20 feet for a dipole.

These differences can be important even with a tuner. We've got an 80 meter
loop cut for the voice segment. My internal tuner will NOT tune it for the
CW portion so I must use my external tuner. If we had based the length on
using 3ft/meter rather than the 3.25ft/meter, it would have been too short
to tune on even the voice portion of the band.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 2nd 04, 09:46 PM
Reg Edwards

with the use of 450 ohm feedline and a manual tuner.

Where I can purchase this kind of line ?
(some online mall that delivery outside USA/Canada),
because I can't find it here in Italy.

===============================

Frank, the exact impedance of the high impedance line doesn't matter at all.
You don't even need to know what its impedance is. Line loss is small just
because it has a high impedance.

Any line where the pair of wires are spaced apart more than 25mm will be
satisfactory. Wire spacing can change along its length without any bad
effects. The only effect will be a change in tuner component settings.

If you are unable to purchase a line then it is not difficult to make. You
can make the stuff in less time than it takes to order and deliver from a
manufacturer.

Use 1.6 or 1.3 mm diameter wire. Space the wires 50 mm to 100 mm apart.
There are many ways of fixing the wire to the ends of rigid plastic spacers.
The distance between spacers along the line can be anything from 100 to 200
mm. Construction depends on your judgement of what weather conditions, wind
velocity, etc., the line will have to withstand and the time in months.
Failure due to flexing in the wind can be a problem.
----
Reg, G4FGQ