Old October 11th 14, 03:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default swivel lubricant

"rickman" wrote in message
On 10/10/2014 10:20 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
It's easy to spot a reputable vendor. They're
the one's with thousands of sales and a reasonably high rating (96% or
better). Unfortunately, that also means you shouldn't buy anything
from me.

A 96% rating is really crappy for an eBay vendor these days. That says
about 1 in 25 have a problem that wasn't corrected. I look for vendors
with approval ratings well above 99% and if there is one at 99.8% and
another at 99.4% I go with the one at 99.8%. That's a factor of three in
terms of problems.

One bad thing about the ratings on ebay is some people give negative
feedback because of the crappy product and not because there is anything
wrong with the seller.

If someone orders a crappy made product, he should not give the seller
negative feedback. Too bad there is not a way to rate the products along
with the seller.

The way I look at it, nomater what comes in the box (if new) if it is in
good condition and what is ordered and gets to me in a reasonable time I
give good feedback.

I received a new telephone that was suspose to be for the hard of hearing..
That phone was not as good as the standard phones I have. While the phone
was crappy, it was the one shown on ebay. I still left good feedback.
A used computer came in and the hard drive was flopping around in it and
would not boot. As I am ok to work on computers, I sent the vender an email
about it and asked him to send me a hard drive and I would send him the old
one back (computer had a startup disc with it). He sent one right away. I
left good feed back and a note that I had a small problem, but quickly
corrected. Maybe others would not see it that way.
For new stuff the 'stores' sell they just put out what the product is
advertised for .

---

Old October 11th 14, 03:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

If someone orders a crappy made product, he should not give the seller
negative feedback.

There is if the seller won't refund the money. Distance selling regulations
(or whatever they're called now) make this totally clear. It's up to the
seller not to stock bad products, especially once their buying public make it
clear what they think of them. That's free market economics, and the
advocates of such need to suck it up, in my view.

I'll rant just one more paragraph... In the UK, Ratner, a jeweller, sold
crap. He said so too, and it broke his business. Alan Sugar on the other
hand, sold crap that wasn't fit to repair when I saw it reach the second hand
shops where I worked to repair stuff when I was young. The innards were cheap
and shoddy, the cases little better. He basically cut so many corners he
ripped on the whole of England, and what happened? He bullies his way around
the TV networks and is lionised, even worhipped and feared. It's disgusting.
People should demand better, and be ready to pay for it, otherwise they'll
just get kicked in thew teeth till they have no teeth left to bite with.

My own personal fix for the problem is pretty small actually, I buy older
gear, stuff that cost a grand and now costs fifty quid or less because people
didn't respect it when they had it. If more people held on like this I'd not
have it so easy, but at least more people would have somethign worth
defending.

For all its flaws, eBay does seem to be helping this happen, because the
seller will nearly always lose to the buyer when the goods aren't good.
Old October 11th 14, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Lostgallifreyan" wrote in message
. ..

I'll rant just one more paragraph... In the UK, Ratner, a jeweller, sold
crap. He said so too, and it broke his business. Alan Sugar on the other
hand, sold crap that wasn't fit to repair when I saw it reach the second
hand
shops where I worked to repair stuff when I was young. The innards were
cheap
and shoddy, the cases little better. He basically cut so many corners he
ripped on the whole of England, and what happened?

I like the story of LL Beam. Seems that he started a mail order business
selling shoes or boots. The first orders he sent out had a return rate of
about 90%. He reworked the boots into a good quality and sent them back for
free. This gave him a good reputation.
This is now a major company.

---

Old October 11th 14, 08:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 10/11/2014 10:30 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"rickman" wrote in message
[...]

If a vendor responds and replaces the item which had a problem due to no
fault of theirs, I would happily give them good feedback. Those are the
cases that distinguish a good vendor from a crappy one. Anyone can sell
good merchandise. Even if the problem is due to the seller and they
handle it properly I give good feedback.

But if they are selling an item that is crap and they won't give a
refund, I don't see why I shouldn't give them a bad rating. I'm sure
that after shipping a couple dozen of a poor quality item they have
gotten feedback that tells them about the problem. If they don't want
poor feedback they should not sell crappy items.

--

Rick