Old October 15th 14, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default OK, let's discuss dipoles vs length

wrote in message
David wrote:
It is irrelevant.

I could post copies of my amateur license, old First Class license,
FAA avioncs repairmans's certificate, BSEE, resume, and professional
references and it would make no difference to Jerry Stuckle's attitude.

While he seems to think such things are important, I am only impressed
with data.

Most license are not worth very much. I had the first class phone when I
was 22years old and had never worked on a comercial station. Probably would
not know what to have done with a TV station at all.
I have some refrigeration licenses that let me work with the coolant , but
know very little about that. Had to get them for where I worked,but the
mechanics did most of the work with the refrigerant and all I did was
theelectrical part.

We had a Professional Engineer (on paper anyway) where I worked ,and all he
did was make a good office boy and was able to sign off on the work. I
designed and installed lots of things and all he did was to take my hand
drawn prints to the drafting department and the girl up there would send
them back with him to make sure she put on paper what I ment for it to be.

---

Old October 15th 14, 07:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ralph Mowery wrote:

wrote in message
David wrote:
It is irrelevant.

I could post copies of my amateur license, old First Class license,
FAA avioncs repairmans's certificate, BSEE, resume, and professional
references and it would make no difference to Jerry Stuckle's attitude.

While he seems to think such things are important, I am only impressed
with data.

Most license are not worth very much. I had the first class phone when I
was 22years old and had never worked on a comercial station. Probably would
not know what to have done with a TV station at all.

I never worked at any broadcast station but I got the first class a couple
of months before my Army discharge in the hopes that it would help me
get a decent part time job when I went back to school.

It did and while a second class would have been good enough for the job,
the fact that I had a first clinched the deal.

I have some refrigeration licenses that let me work with the coolant , but
know very little about that. Had to get them for where I worked,but the
mechanics did most of the work with the refrigerant and all I did was
theelectrical part.

We had a Professional Engineer (on paper anyway) where I worked ,and all he
did was make a good office boy and was able to sign off on the work. I
designed and installed lots of things and all he did was to take my hand
drawn prints to the drafting department and the girl up there would send
them back with him to make sure she put on paper what I ment for it to be.

There was a PE at one place I worked, the bottom line to which is that I
had to write an extensive SOP with mandatory design reviews for the
department to keep his hair brained ideas in check.

The straw that broke the camel's back was a thing that had built in self
test, which was OK, but there was also self test for the self test, and
self test for the self test for the self test...

--
Jim Pennino
Old October 15th 14, 08:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 10/15/2014 2:16 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message
David wrote:
It is irrelevant.

I could post copies of my amateur license, old First Class license,
FAA avioncs repairmans's certificate, BSEE, resume, and professional
references and it would make no difference to Jerry Stuckle's attitude.

While he seems to think such things are important, I am only impressed
with data.

Most license are not worth very much. I had the first class phone when I
was 22years old and had never worked on a comercial station. Probably would
not know what to have done with a TV station at all.
I have some refrigeration licenses that let me work with the coolant , but
know very little about that. Had to get them for where I worked,but the
mechanics did most of the work with the refrigerant and all I did was
theelectrical part.

Interesting. I got my First Class at 18, and at 19 I was chief engineer
at the campus radio station. Sure, only 10W FM (and carrier current AM
to the dorms). By 25 I had worked at three other stations part time.

Didn't get my Extra until I was 19 - that two year waiting period got
me. But probably a good thing - I found the Extra test to be harder
than either First or Second phone.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old October 16th 14, 03:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

At Wed, 15 Oct 2014 06:23:33 -0400, Jerry Stuckle rearranged some
electrons to write:

On 10/15/2014 6:12 AM, David wrote:
At Mon, 13 Oct 2014 20:41:29 -0400, Jerry Stuckle rearranged some
electrons to write:

You, who don't even have a license

Actually he does, and I have him in my log.

And of course, such a claim by an anonymous poster with an invalid email
address is worth something?

And of course, your opinion is unimportant to me.

Old October 16th 14, 03:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 10/15/2014 10:05 PM, David wrote:
At Wed, 15 Oct 2014 06:23:33 -0400, Jerry Stuckle rearranged some
electrons to write:

On 10/15/2014 6:12 AM, David wrote:
At Mon, 13 Oct 2014 20:41:29 -0400, Jerry Stuckle rearranged some
electrons to write:

You, who don't even have a license

Actually he does, and I have him in my log.

And of course, such a claim by an anonymous poster with an invalid email
address is worth something?

And of course, your opinion is unimportant to me.

As if I care - NOT! Anonymous trolls like you are of no importance.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================

Old October 16th 14, 03:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 18:30:46 -0000, wrote:

The straw that broke the camel's back was a thing that had built in self
test, which was OK, but there was also self test for the self test, and
self test for the self test for the self test...

Chuckle. I had much the same problem except that the self test
function was aptly named BITE (Built In Test Equipment). All too
often, the radio would be fully functional, but the system would be
down because the BITE was complaining about something spurious.
Someone suggested a second BITE to monitor the first. That was
prototyped by some other engineer, which further reduced the
reliability of the system. Eventually, I was handed the mess, with
instructions not to spend any money, not to change anything, and get
it done before my boss returned from vacation (so he couldn't be
blamed if anything went wrong). My solution was to redesign the
interface between the radio and the BITE so that the BITE boards could
be removed without affecting the operation of the radio. The result
was predictable. All the BITE boards were immediately removed on
arrival by the customer, thrown into an unmarked cardboard box, and
left to rot while the radios continued to operate normally without
them.

Morals: Complexity does not improve reliability and the first thing
to fail is usually the fail safe.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Old October 16th 14, 03:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 15:28:41 -0400, Jerry Stuckle
wrote:

Interesting. I got my First Class at 18, and at 19 I was chief engineer
at the campus radio station. Sure, only 10W FM (and carrier current AM
to the dorms). By 25 I had worked at three other stations part time.

Didn't get my Extra until I was 19 - that two year waiting period got
me. But probably a good thing - I found the Extra test to be harder
than either First or Second phone.

The subject of licenses appeared in rec.radio.amateur.moderated about
two weeks ago. This is a copy of what I posted:

You might be amused at how I obtained my extra class ticket.

I had been a tech since the 1960's and saw no reason to learn Morse
code in order to talk on HF. I was working for various 2way and
marine radio companies. The last thing I wanted to do when I left
work was see another radio. I almost let my tech license lapse, but a
friend shoved the 610 form in my face and demanded that I renew.

When the code requirement was finally dropped for general class I
decided it was time to upgrade. Having passed the tech exam in the
dark ages (tubes, dynamotors, and Marconi antennas) was deemed
sufficient to demonstrate my technical competence. Therefore, I was
not required to repeat the exam.

The procedure required that I find all my old FCC licenses, which
amazingly were exactly where I buried them. When I appeared at the
scheduled VEC exam, I was informed that for the same price ($10), I
could take the extra exam. If I failed, then they would grant me a
general class license as a consolation prize. Just one problem. I
hadn't studied at all for the extra exam.

I sat down with a borrowed calculator and began to sweat my way
through the questions. The technical questions were easy. The
questions on HF operating protocol, band limits, and procedures were
unfathomable, so I resorted to guessing. I'm fairly sure that I got
all the technical questions right, and missed most of the operational
questions. I was later informed that I had passed by one question.
Whew.

Unfortunately, one of my friends surpassed my feat. He became tired
of using his foreign call sign and decided to get a US ham license. He
passed all 4 elements in one sitting, without missing a single
question, and possibly without studying. I was crushed but still
offered my congratulations.

I don't recommend attempting the extra class exam totally unprepared.
However, if anyone asks, it can be passed without studying.

Old October 16th 14, 08:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

All too
often, the radio would be fully functional, but the system would be
down because the BITE was complaining about something spurious.
Someone suggested a second BITE to monitor the first.

The devil drives a fine wedge. What I do in this case is let the thing
pass with a warning to the user. What they make of it is up to them, but it
is ALWAYS best to have the machine surrender control if in doubt, because the
alternative is to ALWAYS leave a person wondering exactly where something
first appeard to go wrong, simple because it did NOT appear. A dumb human can
usually do more than a smart but broken machine.
Old October 16th 14, 08:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

Morals: Complexity does not improve reliability and the first thing
to fail is usually the fail safe.

Spot on.
Old October 16th 14, 04:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 02:36:44 -0500, Lostgallifreyan
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

All too
often, the radio would be fully functional, but the system would be
down because the BITE was complaining about something spurious.
Someone suggested a second BITE to monitor the first.

The devil drives a fine wedge.

I am the devil, or at least some of my friends and customers think I
am. (The difference between a friend and a customer is the customers
pay me, while the friends do not).

What I do in this case is let the thing
pass with a warning to the user. What they make of it is up to them, but it
is ALWAYS best to have the machine surrender control if in doubt, because the
alternative is to ALWAYS leave a person wondering exactly where something
first appeard to go wrong, simple because it did NOT appear. A dumb human can
usually do more than a smart but broken machine.

That would not work for this situation. The end user was the USCG
(United States Coast Guard). Average age of the users is about 17 or
18 years old. Specifications were to not let anyone make a decision
beyond looking for a red light on top of the PCB, and replace whatever
lights up red. I looked back at my troubleshooting abilities (mostly
automotive) when I was their age, and decided that it was the best
philosophy.

Somewhat later, I visited the USCG depot level repair shop on Treasure
Island in the middle of San Francisco Bay. The techs there were
better qualified, but still mystified if replacing a board did not
magically solve a problem. During the tour of the facility, I was
shown the "bone pile", which was a rather large collection of radios
used for spare parts. I did some quick math and estimated that it
contained about 2% of the radios we sold to the USCG.

The BITE boards were not totally wasted. I showed them how to use
them as a troubleshooting and testing aid for bench testing. With
some help, I was able to diagnose about 15 radios and fix 10 of them
using the BITE boards, which demonstrated that they were not a total
wasted. Every test bench soon had a set of BITE boards.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Real Oil Drillers Discuss MC 252 dave Shortwave 2 May 15th 10 10:24 PM
Discuss about books chandru Shortwave 0 July 12th 08 11:34 AM
OT , You may need to discuss this . [email protected] CB 2 November 30th 07 12:51 AM
Anyone care to discuss... Professor CB 11 April 23rd 05 07:35 PM
Art Bell to discuss BPL on C-to-C AM TONIGHT (??) 3/20/04 Jim Hampton Policy 0 March 20th 04 10:59 PM