RadioBanter

-   -   NEC (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/208081-nec.html)

gareth October 11th 14 05:27 PM

NEC

Relying on someone's NEC program to number crunch to
produce the answer 42 is not the same as understanding
what is going on as an aid to didactification of novices.

John S October 11th 14 06:13 PM

NEC

On 10/11/2014 11:27 AM, gareth wrote:
Relying on someone's NEC program to number crunch to
produce the answer 42 is not the same as understanding
what is going on as an aid to didactification of novices.

Your comment doesn't make sense (at least not to me), Gareth.
Please elaborate, but leave out the less commonly used words such as
didact- whatever. You might get better responses by using common
language. Just a suggestion.

Ralph Mowery October 11th 14 07:09 PM

NEC

"John S" wrote in message
On 10/11/2014 11:27 AM, gareth wrote:
Relying on someone's NEC program to number crunch to
produce the answer 42 is not the same as understanding
what is going on as an aid to didactification of novices.

Your comment doesn't make sense (at least not to me), Gareth.
Please elaborate, but leave out the less commonly used words such as
didact- whatever. You might get better responses by using common language.
Just a suggestion.

You have to be a science fiction fan to understand this.

From the movie Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Anyway there is a super
computer that has been working for 7 1/2 million years for the answer of
life and the answer is 42 which is 101010 in bianary.

---

Lostgallifreyan October 11th 14 07:10 PM

NEC

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

You have to be a science fiction fan to understand this.

From the movie Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Anyway there is a super
computer that has been working for 7 1/2 million years for the answer of
life and the answer is 42 which is 101010 in bianary.

I'm very familiar with HGGTTG and I still didn't understand what his post was
about. As to 42, I like the interpretation of life being 'all at sixes and
sevens', i.e. irrational, indeterministic, a big part of the whole HHGTTG
thing, and also of Adam's other work too.

Apparently Stephen Fry is one of the very few people (perhaps the only one)
to know the real, original derivation of 42, and why it was chosen, but I
like my idea partly because it's not one I have ever heard from anyone else.

[email protected] October 11th 14 07:11 PM

NEC

gareth wrote:
Relying on someone's NEC program to number crunch to
produce the answer 42 is not the same as understanding
what is going on as an aid to didactification of novices.

Except that antenna analysis is much more complex than a single number.

NEC is the PERFECT learning tool for antennas as one can almose instantly
see the three dimensional pattern, the gain, the losses, the complex
impedance, etc.

I hardly think doing a huge number of complex calculations by hand is
more informative than letting a computer do the calculations.

The goal is to learn how an antenna works, not develop proficiency in
manual 3 dimensional calculus.

Of course you do have a dog in this race as NEC easily shows much of
what you say is utter, arm waving, nonsense.

--
Jim Pennino

gareth October 11th 14 07:30 PM

NEC

wrote in message

Of course you do have a dog in this race as NEC easily shows much of
what you say is utter, arm waving, nonsense.

May I commend to you, early, the mature and civil approach to international
debate which will come when you grow up?

[email protected] October 11th 14 07:42 PM

NEC

gareth wrote:
wrote in message

Of course you do have a dog in this race as NEC easily shows much of
what you say is utter, arm waving, nonsense.

May I commend to you, early, the mature and civil approach to international
debate which will come when you grow up?

May I commend to you that you suck it up and admit much of what you have
said so far is utter, arm waving, nonsense?

If you have equations and numbers to show otherwise...

--
Jim Pennino

Lostgallifreyan October 11th 14 07:51 PM

NEC

Lostgallifreyan wrote in
:

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

You have to be a science fiction fan to understand this.

From the movie Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Anyway there is a
super computer that has been working for 7 1/2 million years for the
answer of life and the answer is 42 which is 101010 in bianary.

I'm very familiar with HGGTTG and I still didn't understand what his
post was about. As to 42, I like the interpretation of life being 'all
at sixes and sevens', i.e. irrational, indeterministic, a big part of
the whole HHGTTG thing, and also of Adam's other work too.

Apparently Stephen Fry is one of the very few people (perhaps the only
one) to know the real, original derivation of 42, and why it was chosen,
but I like my idea partly because it's not one I have ever heard from
anyone else.

I'm enjoying this too much to stop, but I'll keep it short ant try to
entertain someone with it... Another Douglas Adams deduction of mine: "The
Long Dark Teatime Of The Soul", a Dirk Gently novel title.

One time listening to Radio 3, I heard an announcer speak of Berlioz' "Les
Nuits d'Été" (Summer Nights).

Not speaking French well at all, I misheard that one. I heard "Le nuit dé
thé" (The night of tea!) While pondering that bit of silliness, I also
thought of "L'ennui de thé", based on a bit of French I actually did know.

And then it dropped on me with several of the attributes of the Pan-galactic
gargle blaster, a vivid realisation that Douglas Adams had probably been in
exactly this position, but with greater imagination than mine by far, he came
up with "The Long Dark Teatime Of The Soul".

Wayne October 11th 14 10:46 PM

NEC

"gareth" wrote in message ...

Relying on someone's NEC program to number crunch to
produce the answer 42 is not the same as understanding
what is going on as an aid to didactification of novices.

But NEC is a good tool for learning. If your theoretical understanding does
not match the results predicted by NEC, then a prudent course of action is
to look at your theoretical understanding for errors.

[email protected] October 11th 14 10:52 PM

NEC

gareth wrote:
wrote in message

Of course you do have a dog in this race as NEC easily shows much of
what you say is utter, arm waving, nonsense.

May I commend to you, early, the mature and civil approach to international
debate which will come when you grow up?

I notice you have absolutely nothing to say about the utility of NEC
as a learngin tool...

--
Jim Pennino