Old July 12th 04, 10:42 PM
James

Default Long wire antenna

I can barely spell antenna but I was thinking of putting up a long wire
antenna outside for a shortwave receiver I have. My questions are these.

How long should it be?
Does it need to be vertical, horizontal or somewhere in between? Which is
best?
What about guage of the wire? Radio Shack has a 70 foot stranded copper wire
14 guage with a couple of insulators as some sort of kit.
Could something like this be strung on steel insulated fence posts that are
normally used for keeping livestock from wandering? That would put it close
to the ground. I know that higher is always better.

I have a 35+ year old transistor Japanese shortwave radio that had a broken
(and lost) whip antenna. I installed another whip with a little soldering,
bought a generic ac adapter and lo and behold it worked pretty well. A
little hum but acceptable. I thought that it would not cost a lot of dough
to put an outside long wire antenna out there to receive some international
stuff. It brought in some with just the whip but quality of signal should be
much better in my estimation. I have lotsa room on the place here.

Any answers, tips or suggestions would be welcome. I thought if it worked
out I might invest in a new shortwave receiver of some kind. Any suggestions
as to that would also be appreciated. I have been thinking of a Grundig 800
but only done limited research so far.

Old July 13th 04, 12:08 AM
Jack Painter

"James" wrote

How long should it be?
Does it need to be vertical, horizontal or somewhere in between? Which is
best?
What about guage of the wire? Radio Shack has a 70 foot stranded copper

wire
14 guage with a couple of insulators as some sort of kit.

That's a good good starting point James.

Could something like this be strung on steel insulated fence posts that

are
normally used for keeping livestock from wandering? That would put it

close
to the ground. I know that higher is always better.

It is indeed, but one of the radio shack "kits" I had 40' up in a tree came
down in a hurricane, and annoyingly (to me) worked almost as well lying on
the ground. Because of it's length, it still worked in it's desired bands
better than an elaborate fan-antenna of two long wires and transformer that
did survive the hurricane. A long wire parallel to the ground will have
directional aspects to it's reception. The steeper of an angle (but avoid
more than about 60 degrees) the less directional it will be.

I have lotsa room on the place here.

That also implies "quiet" from urban noise, and great for shortwave
listening.

You would probably enjoy any of the used Radio Shack DX-series shortwave
radios normally available on eBay. A lot less money and some are more
capable than anything Grundig made. Of course the Grundigs will pick up
nearly anything with the stock whip. But Grundig like many of it's kind were
not made for real external antennas - and doing so does often just overloads
the input to the detriment of all listening. The old Radio Shack DX series
are made for long external antenna usage, as are all table-top/base type
communications receivers.

Good listening.

Jack

Old July 13th 04, 02:07 PM
Randy A. Hefner

"Jack Painter" wrote in message

You would probably enjoy any of the used Radio Shack DX-series shortwave
radios normally available on eBay. A lot less money

DX-440 is a great little radio! Will pickup sideband and CW.

Old July 14th 04, 12:33 PM
Randy A. Hefner

http://search.ebay.com/dx-440

"CW" no adddress@spam free.com wrote in message
If you can find one.

Old July 20th 04, 10:08 PM
Thierry

Hi,

Here are some info with additional data that I did last week :
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/antenna.htm

For receining purposes try also the magnetic loop
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/qsl-ala330.htm

73
Thierry, ON4SKY