Old July 18th 04, 06:13 AM
Doug Birky

Thanks for all the reaponses. I apreciate them.

Let me give a little more info...

Rig is an ICOM IC751, I hava a MFJ-941D antenna tuner, and am contemplating
putting up a WINDOM similar to the one described on buxcom.com. I would
like to be able to hit the 20 and 40 meter bands. I'm not sure this is
feasable, but this is where I'm at.

Thanks,
Doug

Roger Halstead wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:27:16 -0500, "Doug Birky"
wrote:

I am new to HF having just passed my General and code tests. I am putting

up
a dipole the will be running due East/West at about 40ft. I really have

no
other options for installation and cannot run it North/South. I am in

lower
Michigan. My question is will I be able to make any East Coast contacts
with this? Specifically, I'd like to be able to monitor the W1AW

bulletins,
code runs etc. I am interested in contacting the Southern states, but

would
like to know if the East will be accessable.

First... Congratulations.

You've had quite a few answers, but you didn't say which HF band(s)
you will be using.

It's been my experience on 160 through 40 that a dipole at 30 to 40
feet isn't very directional. As far as the East coast (I'm near
Midland MI) you should be able to work it with a 100 watts at night on
160 and 75. Day and early evenings on 40. The only problem with 40 at
night is the foreign broadcast.

I've worked California on 160 SSB with a dipole at 30 feet.
Not often, but I've done it. I've worked Europe on 160 CW.

No, my current station isn't using any thing at 30 feet except the
bottom of my back up vertical out in the shop, but it doesn't take a
big antenna or power to work 500 to 1000 miles on HF.

Remember too that the characteristics of these bands change quite a
bit throughout the sunspot cycle.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Thanks in advance,
Doug Birky
KC8YEC/AG

Old July 18th 04, 02:43 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"Doug Birky" wrote in message
Thanks for all the reaponses. I apreciate them.

Let me give a little more info...

Rig is an ICOM IC751, I hava a MFJ-941D antenna tuner, and am

contemplating
putting up a WINDOM similar to the one described on buxcom.com. I would
like to be able to hit the 20 and 40 meter bands. I'm not sure this is
feasable, but this is where I'm at.

Thanks,
Doug

**********************************
The easiest way to get 20 and 40 m on one antenna, and ditch the tuner at
the same time, is to connect 20 and 40 m dipoles to the same feedpoint. You
just need some separation at the ends of the wire. I have a 17m dipole,
which is also the support for the 40m inverted V. I will try to come up with
some numbers for you.

Tam/WB2TT

Old July 18th 04, 06:23 PM
Cecil Moore

Bill Turner wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Make the "dipole" multiple wavelengths long. The major lobes will move
toward the ends of the "dipole". (I say "dipole" because it is then
actually electrically a polypole.)

Doesn't the word dipole just mean there are two halves of opposite
polarity? How do you figure "polypole" just because of multiple
wavelengths?

A *physical* dipole is two halves of opposite polarity.
An *electrical* dipole has two major radiation lobes. A multi-
wavelength physical dipole has more than two major radiation
lobes and is therefore not electrically a "dipole". It's
splitting hairs but I try to differentiate between the two
meanings by including the proper adjective.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old July 18th 04, 07:58 PM
Dave

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Bill Turner wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Make the "dipole" multiple wavelengths long. The major lobes will move
toward the ends of the "dipole". (I say "dipole" because it is then
actually electrically a polypole.)

Doesn't the word dipole just mean there are two halves of opposite
polarity? How do you figure "polypole" just because of multiple
wavelengths?

A *physical* dipole is two halves of opposite polarity.
An *electrical* dipole has two major radiation lobes. A multi-
wavelength physical dipole has more than two major radiation
lobes and is therefore not electrically a "dipole". It's
splitting hairs but I try to differentiate between the two
meanings by including the proper adjective.

don't worry about cecil, he just loves splitting hairs and using adjectives
that no one else would even think of applying. just give him a few more
messages and he'll be spouting on about some kind of reflection polymatrix
in his polypole or some such stuff... all when all the originator of the
thread wanted to know is if his dipole would work.

YES! it will work, stop reading this drivel and get on the air!

Old July 18th 04, 08:09 PM
Tam/WB2TT

Doug,
I put some numbers into EZNEC, and came up with:

20 meter support dipole, 34.1 feet long at 40 feet.

40 meter inverted V hanging from 20 meter dipole, 66.7 feet total length,
with ends drooping down at 30 degrees.

SWR is less than 2:1 from 14.0 - 14.4, and 7.0 - 7.4.

Directivity is about 6db on 40m and 13 db on 20m. I think there would be
some advantage to not having the antennas in the same plane.

Tam/WB2TT

Old July 21st 04, 03:40 PM
Tam/WB2TT

Tam/WB2TT wrote in message
Doug,
I put some numbers into EZNEC, and came up with:

20 meter support dipole, 34.1 feet long at 40 feet.

40 meter inverted V hanging from 20 meter dipole, 66.7 feet total

length,
with ends drooping down at 30 degrees.

SWR is less than 2:1 from 14.0 - 14.4, and 7.0 - 7.4.

Directivity is about 6db on 40m and 13 db on 20m. I think there would be
some advantage to not having the antennas in the same plane.

Tam/WB2TT

Doug,
If you go with the 20/40, you have to trim the 40 m first, because it has
more effect on the 20 than the 20 does on the 40.

Tam

Old July 21st 04, 10:10 PM
N2EY

"Doug Birky" wrote in message ...
I am new to HF having just passed my General and code tests.

Congratulations!

I am putting up
a dipole the will be running due East/West at about 40ft.

What sort of dipole (how long/what transmission line)?

I really have no
other options for installation and cannot run it North/South. I am in lower
Michigan. My question is will I be able to make any East Coast contacts
with this?

Yes, particularly on 80 and 40 meters.

Specifically, I'd like to be able to monitor the W1AW bulletins,
code runs etc.

You will have no problem. W1AW runs full power into some pretty good
antennas.

With the antenna only 40 feet up (a little over a quarter wave on 40
and eighth wave on 80) the pattern will not have sharp nulls. You'll
hear plenty.

Just put it up and enjoy it.

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY

Stacking Distance Question. More Information ab5mm Antenna 8 June 5th 04 08:18 AM
sma connector question Antenna 0 February 28th 04 01:44 AM
Stupid question G5RV Ken Bessler Antenna 17 January 9th 04 12:06 PM
Seperation question???? thanks [email protected] Antenna 0 October 7th 03 07:57 PM
Question about attenuators ... Doug McLaren Antenna 2 August 31st 03 04:20 AM