Old January 18th 15, 08:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Preserving Components From Corrosion Due To Moisture

I intend to order the MFJ-1780 Box Fan Portable Loop.
I'd have it on order already but they are closed on the weekend.

You can view an image at
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3913/...596a70d0_d.jpg

It is a magnetic loop configuration, and the box is
a composite wood product covering an aluminum frame
which forms the loop.

My interest was piqued by my need for a magnetic loop
which I hoped to build, but by the time I can collect the
necessary parts, I decided I could purchase the MFJ-1780
for the same money.

In particular, I became very interested because it has
a Remote Control which carries the signal and power through
the coax, and in particular a neat looking motor driven
capacitor for remote tuning.

One chap has had his hanging in a tree, with weather
protection provided by a plastic garbage bag. It has
been up for almost six months and come spring he intended
to inspect it for any possible damage to the motor/capacitor
assembly due to moisture.

I suggested he might want to spray the capacitor/motor
assembly with WD-40, and he in turn suggested that there
could be implications due to the high voltage (in the order
of Kilovolts) across the capacitor, and perhaps a silicon
spray might be better.

I could homebrew a loop easier, but collecting the parts
necessary for the loop (e.g. a motor and vacuum variable
and such. let alone the remote controller) is well beyond
my capabilities as I am somewhat handicapped and no longer
have more than a small desk for a workshop.

Has anyone suggestions or comments (except MFJ = Mighty
Fine Junk) on this matter. Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

de Irv VE6BP

Old January 18th 15, 08:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 1/18/2015 2:00 PM, Irv Finkleman VE6BP wrote:
[...]

You are going to pay $329 + tax + shipping for that? Can't you hire
someone to do the work for you for at least 3 days? Design what you want
and get 2 or 3 days work from someone who can follow directions.

Old January 18th 15, 09:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John S wrote:

snip

You are going to pay $329 + tax + shipping for that? Can't you hire
someone to do the work for you for at least 3 days? Design what you want
and get 2 or 3 days work from someone who can follow directions.

Assuming an 8 hour work day, $329/24 hours = $13.71/hour, just over
minimum wage in most states these days. Good luck on finding someone
who can actually do the work at a rate where it would be cheaper than
just buying it from MFJ.

--
Jim Pennino
Old January 18th 15, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Irv Finkleman VE6BP wrote:

snip

I suggested he might want to spray the capacitor/motor
assembly with WD-40, and he in turn suggested that there
could be implications due to the high voltage (in the order
of Kilovolts) across the capacitor, and perhaps a silicon
spray might be better.

WD-40 is great for getting stuck things apart, but is a mediocre
corrosion preventative compared to synthetics like silicon; your
friend is correct. Anything hydrocarbon based is going to leave
carbon residue if there is ever an arc.

--
Jim Pennino
Old January 18th 15, 11:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John S wrote:
[...]

I considered that John -- thanks for the reply -- a good idea but with
drawbacks.

He is going to have to decide upon and design a loop controller, then
find the necessary parts, design and print a PCB for those parts, and
then mount them and test it. Nextstep is to find an appropriate
capacitor and motor, then couple them together in such a way that they
can be mounted onto the loop. Then
find a metal worker who can cut and bend aluminum to the shape of the
loop design, etc, etc, etc. Oh yes, and guarantee it unconditionally for
one year. I've done a lot of homebrewing over the years and am now
physically incapable of locating the materials, fetching them, and
putting it all together, all for less than the cost of what MFJ is
asking. After almost sixty years plus of converting surplus, buying
and repairing broken rigs and accessories, I am now at the point
where I have decided that homebrew is out of the question and
off-the-shelf ready-to-wear rigs and accessories are going to have
to be the way to go. Nope -- this one is going to be delivered to my
door and after four years off the air due to some serious medical
problems and surgeries I'm going to get back on.
My new motto is RADIATE OR DIE TRYING! (Let's leave my pacemaker
debate for another time!) :-)

de Irv VE6BP

Old January 19th 15, 08:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 13:00:01 -0700, Irv Finkleman VE6BP
wrote:

I intend to order the MFJ-1780 Box Fan Portable Loop.
I'd have it on order already but they are closed on the weekend.

You can view an image at
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3913/...596a70d0_d.jpg

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1780
You're going to pay $330 for that? Surely you can find a cheaper mag
loop antenna?

One chap has had his hanging in a tree, with weather
protection provided by a plastic garbage bag.

Great idea. However, the reason is not so obvious. See below.

This antenna was obviously not designed for permanent outdoor
installation. It says so in the manual:
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Downloads/index.php?productid=MFJ-1780&filename=MFJ-1780.pdf&company=mfj
OUTDOOR USE
Note : The MFJ Box Fan Loop can
be used outdoor only in good
weather conditions ( not in windy or
stormy weather).

Mounted horizontally any water that collects inside will end up on the
insulated side plates, where the water will not do any major damage.
However, mounted vertically puts the plates of the tuning capacitor in
a horizontal position, where they can collect water. This is bad. If
you want to hang it vertically, please mount it with the capacitor
plates vertical. This is NOT the ideal position for vertical
polarization, so there may be some signal loss. Also, drill some weep
holes in the bottom of the box so that water will drain out.

The trash bag cover has a unique advantage. The black low-density
polyethylene (LDPE) trash bags are transparent to long wave infra-red
radiation, also known as heat. Hang a trashbag full of water in the
sun, and it will soon deliver hot or warm water. That's how these
work:
http://www.coleman.com/product/5-gallon-camp-shower/2000014865?contextCategory=28170
If some water gets into the bag (e.g. condensation) and lands on the
tuner, as soon as the sun comes out, the bag will get hot enough to
evaporate the water. Be sure to leave the bottom of the trash bag
partly open, so the water vapor has a way to get out of the bag. Even
in the dim light of dawn, there will be enough heat to prevent the
temperature from staying below the dew point (unless it's really
cold). I don't know exactly which style or thickness of garbage bag
to use. My guess is as thin as possible and only one layer, so that
the most IR gets into the bag.

If you want to lube the capacitor bushings or bearing, just use some
heavy waterproof grease. I tend to use lithium white grease for
everything, but almost any other grease will work. Since you're
pushing RF through the grease, I guess dielectric grease might be a
better choice. Forget about WD40.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old January 19th 15, 06:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for another of your always good and informative replies Jeff. We
are aware of the outdoor use warning -- but we are both experimenters
and as he has his already, and I just ordered mine this morning, we are
watching carefully to see the effects of his outdoor setup.

Mounted horizontally any water that collects inside will end up on the
insulated side plates, where the water will not do any major damage.
However, mounted vertically puts the plates of the tuning capacitor in
a horizontal position, where they can collect water. This is bad. If
you want to hang it vertically, please mount it with the capacitor
plates vertical. This is NOT the ideal position for vertical
polarization, so there may be some signal loss. Also, drill some weep
holes in the bottom of the box so that water will drain out.

Weep holes -- a great idea, Thanks! hanging it so that the plates are
vertical -- another great idea! Thanks even more. Since it is a
magnetic loop antenna, rotating it to place the capacitor plates
vertical should not make any difference.

[...]

Well, I even learned about trash bag long-wave transparency! I like
your comments on the evaporation of condensation!

If you want to lube the capacitor bushings or bearing, just use some
heavy waterproof grease. I tend to use lithium white grease for
everything, but almost any other grease will work. Since you're
pushing RF through the grease, I guess dielectric grease might be a
better choice. Forget about WD40.

WD-40 is out -- lithium or similar grease is in!

Thanks a lot Jeff -- your posts are always helpful and informative. In
particular, you don't just post instructions on what to do, but you
provide good supportive reasoning which I am sure has been of value
to many on the group.

73

de Irv VE6BP

Old January 19th 15, 06:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 11:09:21 -0700, Irv Finkleman VE6BP
wrote:

Thanks a lot Jeff -- your posts are always helpful and informative. In
particular, you don't just post instructions on what to do, but you
provide good supportive reasoning which I am sure has been of value
to many on the group.

Thanks. That's what I try to do. One line "do this" type answers are
useful, but without the explanation and logic behind the
recommendation, it's of little use. Besides, if I just supply the
logic, and let you make the decision, and it doesn't work, it's YOUR
fault for accepting my logic, and drawing the wrong conclusion. It's
much like getting an opinion from an attorney. You'll never get just
one option or recommendation. Instead you get a fair number of
"options" among which you're expected to choose. If you pick the
wrong one, it's your fault, not the attorney's.

I'll do a little reading and testing later this week on the different
types and thickness of LDPE sheets:
http://www.bagbarn.com/all_purpose_poly_bags/garbage_bags.php
Some are probably better than others. If you have an incandescent
bulb flashlight (heat source) and digital IR thermometer gun, you can
probably do your own testing. However, I don't want to get it too hot
or it might melt the loop circuitry. That's also another reason to
keep the bottom open, so that it won't overheat. I suggest testing
the garbage bag over a thermometer in a cardboard box simulation of
the loop, before trying it on the real thing.

Note: I used to design marine radios and therefore know something
about waterproofing.

Old January 19th 15, 07:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

I was in the Navy for 26 years and just learned to tolerate the moisture.
Besides, all our outside electronic equipment was pretty well taken
care of with nitrogen gas! A little more than a ham needs to deal with!

Irv

Audio compression optimization: decreasing bit rate preserving high quality Sevana Oy CB 0 April 27th 11 07:20 AM
Audio podcast optimization: decreasing bit rate preserving high quality Sevana Oy Homebrew 0 April 19th 11 05:30 PM
corrosion Gary Smith[_3_] Antenna 4 November 4th 08 02:35 AM
Preserving the "Real" in _REAL_ Ham Radio? Airy R. Bean Homebrew 2 June 18th 04 09:02 PM
Keeping moisture out of 9913 type coax? Dave Woolf Antenna 15 January 5th 04 03:52 AM