Old August 3rd 04, 09:28 AM
Active8

Default S - Y Parameter conversion with Smith Chart

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 17:48:01 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 17:32:25 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

[snip]
Smith charts can be used to solve purely lumped-element problems, too.

I wonder if Smith charts have ever been used for analyzing 50/60 Hz
power grids. Their losses are fairly low.

John

I wouldn't be surprised... I've been told that they locate power line
faults using a reflectometer.

...Jim Thompson

That and thumpers. They also have a way to check a ground rod.
Either TDR, I think. Another neat thing I've heard is put a
mechanical vibrator on a down quy and go down the line listening for
loose hardware.
--
Best Regards,
Mike
Old August 5th 04, 12:19 PM
Fred Bloggs

I see in Chris Bowick's book on RF circuit design, he provides 8 quite
long-winded formulas for converting between S and Y parameters and
vice-versa. I'm always prone to making careless errors (particularly
with signs) with these kind of equations, so I was wondering if
there's a simpler, graphical method for conversion using the Smith
Chart. After all, that's what it was devised for - the elimination of
computational errors in such calculations.
I've tried using the vastly simpler rectangular/polar co-ordinate
conversion formulas, but they don't plot correctly on the Smith Chart,
it seems.
So, does anyone know of a simple graphical way to do it on the SC?

It is possible to design a nomograph for anything- but I'm not going to
waste any time on your behalf because you're a low-life moron...-)

Smith Chart Plotter C Edgar Antenna 1 January 20th 04 07:18 AM
Smith Chart Quiz Radio913 Antenna 315 October 21st 03 05:31 AM
Re-Normalizing the Smith Chart (Changing the SWR into the Richard Harrison Antenna 58 September 3rd 03 04:49 AM
Re-Normalizing the Smith Chart (Changing the SWR into the same load) Dr. Slick Antenna 98 August 30th 03 03:09 AM
Length of Coax Affecting Incident Power to Meter? Dr. Slick Antenna 140 August 18th 03 08:17 PM