RadioBanter

-   -   Electric fields in conductors (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/223682-electric-fields-conductors.html)

gareth February 13th 16 04:04 PM

Electric fields in conductors

It is claimed that an electric field cannot exist in a conductor,
giving rise to such things as Faraday Cages, but supposing
an applied electric field was so large that there would be insufficient
mobile charges available to be able to neutralise that field within
a conductor?

This would surely affect our theories about wave guides and
co-axial cables, would it not?

[email protected] February 13th 16 06:43 PM

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna gareth wrote:
It is claimed that an electric field cannot exist in a conductor,
giving rise to such things as Faraday Cages, but supposing
an applied electric field was so large that there would be insufficient
mobile charges available to be able to neutralise that field within
a conductor?

In which case the conductor would begin to increase in temperature and
in an extreme case either melt or vaporize.

This would surely affect our theories about wave guides and
co-axial cables, would it not?

No, it would not effect any theory but it would effect the job status
of anyone stupid enough to design such a thing.

--
Jim Pennino

Mike Tomlinson February 13th 16 09:06 PM

Electric fields in conductors

En el artículo ,
escribió:

No, it would not effect any theory but it would effect the job status
of anyone stupid enough to design such a thing.

If you're going to accuse anyone of stupidity (although you are quite
correct in the case of the OP), it would be wise to learn the difference
between 'affect' and 'effect'.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

A. non Eyemouse February 13th 16 09:24 PM

Electric fields in conductors

On 13/02/2016 21:06, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo ,
escribió:

No, it would not effect any theory but it would effect the job status
of anyone stupid enough to design such a thing.

If you're going to accuse anyone of stupidity (although you are quite
correct in the case of the OP), it would be wise to learn the difference
between 'affect' and 'effect'.

As in the 'effect' of setting a FU without having the courtesy to
announce it in the message?

[fu reset]
--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.

[email protected] February 13th 16 09:29 PM

Electric fields in conductors

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo ,
escribió:

No, it would not effect any theory but it would effect the job status
of anyone stupid enough to design such a thing.

If you're going to accuse anyone of stupidity (although you are quite
correct in the case of the OP), it would be wise to learn the difference
between 'affect' and 'effect'.

You don't think I actually spend any time on such as this to do proof
reading for common typos like affect/effect, to/too, its/it's, etc. do
you?

--
Jim Pennino

Mike Tomlinson February 14th 16 06:05 AM

Electric fields in conductors

En el artículo , A. non
Eyemouse escribió:

As in the 'effect' of setting a FU without having the courtesy to
announce it in the message?

You managed to read the headers, others can.

[fu reset]

Reset.

--
(\_/)

Mike Tomlinson February 14th 16 06:06 AM

escribió:

You don't think I actually spend any time on such as this to do proof
reading for common typos like affect/effect, to/too, its/it's, etc. do
you?

No, but when you live in a glass house, it's unwise to throw stones.

--
(\_/)