Old April 3rd 16, 11:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default What's In a Name -- Of My Antenna?

On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 15:37:40 -0700, "Sal M. O'Nella"
wrote:

Consider the Browning antenna for 2.4 GHz.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Browning-B...tenna/21188799
We're using them for a mesh network experiment. Mine came from Radio Shack
(online) for about that same price. I cannot recall the model number of
the ones I bought but the housing matches.

His Ubiquiti Nanostation m900 Loco runs on 900MHz, not 2.4GHz.
Also, the 2 reviews above, of the Browning yagi both indicate that the
antenna fell apart when removed from the box.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old April 4th 16, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Sal M. O'Nella" wrote in message ...

"rickman" wrote in message ...

What I really need in an antenna, is something I can add to the ubiquiti
nanostation m900 loco I am using for Internet access. The internal
antenna is only 7.5 dBi. I see a Yagi which is 13 dBi but it seems to
be out of date. The current model is very fancy and is over $200. The
other one is only $33.

How about this one for $30

http://www.amazon.com/Yagi-WiFi-Ante...ilpage_o01_s00

Old April 11th 16, 06:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

Consider the Browning antenna for 2.4 GHz.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Browning-B...tenna/21188799
We're using them for a mesh network experiment. Mine came from Radio Shack
(online) for about that same price. I cannot recall the model number of
the ones I bought but the housing matches.

His Ubiquiti Nanostation m900 Loco runs on 900MHz, not 2.4GHz.
Also, the 2 reviews above, of the Browning yagi both indicate that the
antenna fell apart when removed from the box.
====================================

I'm sorry to hear the Browning antenna was a disappointment. Mine matches a
more expensive Wifi antenna and has proven durable.

Thanks for the correction regarding the frequencies. I missed that.

"Sal"
(KD6VKW)

Old April 11th 16, 07:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"rickman" wrote in message ...

What I really need in an antenna, is something I can add to the ubiquiti
nanostation m900 loco I am using for Internet access. The internal
antenna is only 7.5 dBi. I see a Yagi which is 13 dBi but it seems to
be out of date. The current model is very fancy and is over $200. The
other one is only $33.

How about this one for $30

http://www.amazon.com/Yagi-WiFi-Ante...ilpage_o01_s00

It looks like the one I bought that would not perform well for me at 2.4
GHz. I measured my directors, which should be close to (but slightly
shorter than) a half wavelength.

They measure 5 cm tip-to-tip but are NOT insulated from the boom, so add
another cm or so, making them effectively 6 cm long or half of a 12 cm
wavelength.

By the formula 300/wavelength in meters, 300/0.12 = 2500 MHz. It ought to
work -- so my problem is evidently somewhere else.

Sorry but I'm no help.

"Sal"

Old April 11th 16, 07:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 22:51:07 -0700, "Sal M. O'Nella"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Consider the Browning antenna for 2.4 GHz.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Browning-B...tenna/21188799
We're using them for a mesh network experiment. Mine came from Radio Shack
(online) for about that same price. I cannot recall the model number of
the ones I bought but the housing matches.

His Ubiquiti Nanostation m900 Loco runs on 900MHz, not 2.4GHz.
Also, the 2 reviews above, of the Browning yagi both indicate that the
antenna fell apart when removed from the box.
====================================

I'm sorry to hear the Browning antenna was a disappointment. Mine matches a
more expensive Wifi antenna and has proven durable.

I'm surprised that it worked for you. I could find no data other than
the claimed 15dBi gain for the Browning BR-6320. It's carried by many
dealers, but I could find no link to the original manufactory. I
guess I'm spoiled and find that specifications, graphs, and field
tests to be rather useful.

Also, I seem to have had bad luck with wi-fi yagi's. Here's an
analysis of the MFJ-1800 yagi, that demonstrates that it's really a
200 ohm antenna, not 50 ohms.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/mfj1800/index.html
Here's another loser I bought on eBay:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/wi-fi-yagi-that-sucks.jpg

I've been under the impression that mesh networks require
omnidirectional antennas. Directional yagis can be used if you're
covering a perimeter, but then tend to limit the coverage area of the
mesh. Also, I gave a talk/rant on wi-fi mesh network issues and
problems to the local Linux user group. Here's my disorganized notes
and graphics:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/FLUG-talk-2015-02-28/
The fun part is when I demonstrated wireless throughput with and
without the mesh network, as simulated by a single wi-fi repeater.
This is on 5GHz direct (no mesh repeater) at about 60 mbits/sec
thruput:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/FLUG-talk-2015-02-28/802.1a%20direct.jpg
This is the same hardware as above, but through a Netgear WN3000RP(?)
repeater used as a mesh simulator at about 24 mbits/sec:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/FLUG-talk-2015-02-28/802.11gn%20through%20Netgear%20repeater.jpg
for a 60% loss in maximum thruput.

Good luck on your mesh network experiment.