Old August 28th 04, 04:08 PM
Doug Birky

Default Feedline

My feedline will be abou 200'. Can I run RG-8 this far?

73
Doug/KC8YEC

Old August 28th 04, 04:23 PM
Cecil Moore

Doug Birky wrote:
My feedline will be abou 200'. Can I run RG-8 this far?

What frequency and what SWR? About 50% of your power would
be lost on 10m with a matched antenna.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old August 28th 04, 04:34 PM
p.paulfriedman

Doug:

Kinda depends. grin

It depends on the frequency (higher the freq, greater the loss per foot)
It depends on the SWR (higher the SWR, the greater the loss per foot)
It depends on which type of RG-8 you mean.

I suggest using http://www.ocarc.ca/coax.htm (or similar) to calculate the
loss for your run and decide on the cost/loss/ease of installation
trade-offs for yourself.

I know people who use hardline for 80m - they are SERIOUS about putting out
maximum power. They are quite happy with it. I know people who use RG-8X for
6m. They are SERIOUS about keeping costs down and making installation easy.
they are also happy with their choice.

Paul AB0SI

Old August 28th 04, 04:37 PM
p.paulfriedman

Ceal:

50? that is close to the lose for 8X. For 8/U the loss would be closer to
40% (assuming, as you did, a 1:1 VSWR).

Paul AB0SI

Old August 28th 04, 08:27 PM
CW

Yes. You could run it around the planet if you wanted to.

Old August 28th 04, 10:35 PM
Cecil Moore

p.paulfriedman wrote:
Ceal:
50? that is close to the lose for 8X. For 8/U the loss would be closer to
40% (assuming, as you did, a 1:1 VSWR).

You're right, of course. I looked up the 30 MHz line and the loss is
"about" 1.5 dB per 100 ft. Next time I will use a magnifying glass. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old August 29th 04, 04:26 AM
Hal Rosser

Of course you could, but I wouldn't run it that long.
the higher the frequency, the more loss you'll have - so if you operate on
80meters the loss won't hurt 'as bad' as if you operated on 10meters or 2
meters.
move your shack up closer to the antenna - or use ladder line

"Doug Birky" wrote in message
My feedline will be abou 200'. Can I run RG-8 this far?

73
Doug/KC8YEC

---

Old August 29th 04, 07:09 PM
Allodoxaphobia

[ Insidious Top Posting corrected ]

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:37:32 GMT, p.paulfriedman hath writ:

Doug Birky wrote:
My feedline will be abou 200'. Can I run RG-8 this far?

What frequency and what SWR? About 50% of your power would
be lost on 10m with a matched antenna.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

50? that is close to the lose for 8X. For 8/U the loss would be closer to
40% (assuming, as you did, a 1:1 VSWR).

Paul AB0SI

Yep.
I would sleep better at night knowing that I was
losing 40% of my power versus an unacceptable 50%. HI!HI!

Jonesy W3DHJ
--
| Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
| Gunnison, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
| 7,703' -- 2,345m | config.com | DM68mn SK

300 ohm underground feedline Steve Beyers Antenna 5 August 12th 04 02:59 AM
Balanced feedline for vertical antenna? DOUGLAS SNOWDEN Antenna 22 February 7th 04 01:52 AM
450^ feedline for 1L 160 Loop greg z Antenna 3 December 20th 03 12:07 AM
feedline impedance mike Antenna 12 October 6th 03 01:06 AM
Layout for G5RV twin feedline? Harry George Antenna 1 August 11th 03 11:04 PM