Old October 13th 16, 10:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Coax entry into house

On 10/10/2016 08:30 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Hi all, I want to run a coax into to my house bedroom because I'm disabled.
I recall reading having a short piece of electrical pipe placed through the
wall and sealed after the coax is run. Any other ideas? How much of a tail
should brought into the room?

========
If a hole in the outer wall is required ,please ensure that that hole is
drilled in such a way that the conduit pipe is sloping down from inside
to outside to prevent water ingress.

Frank , GM0CSZ in IO87AT
Old October 13th 16, 09:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016, highlandham wrote:

On 10/10/2016 08:30 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Hi all, I want to run a coax into to my house bedroom because I'm disabled.
I recall reading having a short piece of electrical pipe placed through the
wall and sealed after the coax is run. Any other ideas? How much of a tail
should brought into the room?

========
If a hole in the outer wall is required ,please ensure that that hole is
drilled in such a way that the conduit pipe is sloping down from inside to
outside to prevent water ingress.

That's a good point, the sort of thing that should be obvious, but
probably gets forgotten.

I was certainly thinking about keeping the cold out. One year I had some
really thick coax, was it RG-17?, coming through a window, didn't want to
leave anything permanent. So all that cold winter the sliding part of the
outer window was partially open, to let the coax through there, and let
the end sit between the two windows. And then when I wanted to use the
antenna, I'd open the inner window and uncoil the bit of coax there, and
connect a piece that went to the rig.

I can't believe I did that, it didn't make things very warm.

Michael

Old October 25th 16, 06:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 10/13/2016 03:08 PM, Michael Black wrote:
[...]

The old ARRL Handbooks and Antenna Manuals, for no-modification installs involving double hung
windows, tended to recommend a strip of wood, say 1.5" x 3" x L, where L is the internal dimension,
left to right, of the window frame, or even of the sliding lower section itself, that could be
drilled for passing your antenna cable(s), or maybe just your connector bodies, and designed to
support the lower section of the window is it is dropped down onto it. This piece would typically
be a parallelogram in cross section since the sill generally slopes downward to the outside for
drainage purposes.

George

Old October 25th 16, 06:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 10/10/2016 02:46 PM, Dave Platt wrote:
If you have an under-the-floor crawl space, you could probably bring
the coaxes in under the building through a vent (make sure to seal
around the opening to keep critters out), drill up/down through the
floor in a convenient corner, and snake your coaxes up that way. Or,
cut out an opening and flush-mount a box with RF connectors in it.

Google "plenum wire" to find what kind of cable is required when using
plenums for any kind of electrical wiring (similar issues may apply
to other plastic materials as well).

Normal insulation can generate toxic fumes in the presence of heat from
a fire, capable of killing or incapacitating the occupants even before
the fire itself threatens them.

George

Old October 25th 16, 09:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

George Cornelius wrote:
On 10/10/2016 02:46 PM, Dave Platt wrote:
If you have an under-the-floor crawl space, you could probably bring
the coaxes in under the building through a vent (make sure to seal
around the opening to keep critters out), drill up/down through the
floor in a convenient corner, and snake your coaxes up that way. Or,
cut out an opening and flush-mount a box with RF connectors in it.

Google "plenum wire" to find what kind of cable is required when using
plenums for any kind of electrical wiring (similar issues may apply
to other plastic materials as well).

Normal insulation can generate toxic fumes in the presence of heat from
a fire, capable of killing or incapacitating the occupants even before
the fire itself threatens them.

That doesn't apply when you run one or two coaxes through your own home.
There are more than enough things in your house that generate toxic
fumes when burnt to make those few metres of coax insignificant in
comparison.

Old October 26th 16, 03:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 4:47:08 AM UTC-4, Rob wrote:
George Cornelius wrote:
[...]

It certainly does apply if the coax is actually run through a plenum space. Some homes use joist channels as return air plenums and any cable that passes through such a space must be plenum rated or otherwise protected. That said no one has said that is what is happening in this case.

Tom W3TDH

Entry-level class Steve Bonine Moderated 41 November 2nd 07 06:36 PM
Coax House Panel west Antenna 3 April 22nd 06 02:41 AM
Confusing entry in ILG db Sanjaya Shortwave 8 June 28th 05 07:12 PM
Best coax and entry route. (And newbie question). [email protected] Antenna 3 January 17th 05 03:19 PM
Ethernet "thicknet" coax thru walls of house for ham radio antenna Robert Casey Antenna 8 January 18th 04 09:11 PM